• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Odin Works or Criterion 6.5CM?

Squad51

Private
Minuteman
May 9, 2020
I want to build a 6.5CM upper Aero M5. I like the Criterion 22" bbl but it has standard length gas system. My brother in law says Odin Works is better because it has a +2 gas lenght. Is he right?

Rifle will be mostly a range toy and I want to be able to shoot out to 1000 yards. I might try PRS but I do not expect to be a $erious competitor.

I'd put my money on the Criterion having a higher chance of being more accurate. But no way in hell I'd consider an RLGS 22" 6.5CM. Not saying I'd choose the Odin though, surely there's other options from Rainier or somewhere, or go the custom route.

I'd put my money on the Criterion having a higher chance of being more accurate. But no way in hell I'd consider an RLGS 22" 6.5CM. Not saying I'd choose the Odin though, surely there's other options from Rainier or somewhere, or go the custom route.
Thanks. I just looked at the Ranier barrel and I like the specs on it.

I have an Odin barrel on my AR pistol. It's a 10.3 I think. I didn't have a lot of options at the time so it was the best option that I could get at that length with a carbine, but I will say, it's a very very nice barrel. I have been pleasantly surprises how nice and it shoots pretty well, but I haven't had a lot of time with it yet. If you can get one if the known quality barrels like Bartlien, Kreiger, Douglas, Benchmark, Hawk Hill, that's what I'd do because I think you have a very good chance I'd getting a barrel that shoots excellent that way, but I think you'd be happy with the Odin as well

Criterion makes better and better barrels every year. They start with the steel and drill and rifle the blank, and will also make a finished barrel. We buy Criterion blanks, and they are definitely top tier. I have heard of Odin, but know nothing of their barrels. Perhaps they buy OEM barrels made by someone else?

I have heard of Odin, but know nothing of their barrels. Perhaps they buy OEM barrels made by someone else?
No, all their barrels are a pretty unique spec, sometimes in a good way, sometimes not.
I'd heard years ago that McGowen made Odins barrels but I'm not sure if that's still the case.

I don't know if Odin makes it or has someone else make em but the fit and finish is exceptional, at least on mine. The gas block area is precise, the feed ramps are perfect and polished, the rifling is perfect, the crown is perfect, and the chamber is perfect. I wad curious so I looked it over good and with my bore scope. My buddy who did an absolutely astonishing job cerakoting the gun even noted how perfect the barrel was. He takes apart and puts back together a lot of guns to cerakote them and he took note of it so....

Criterion is very good as has been said and I like criterion barrels a lot, just offering some info on the Odin barrels.

Attachments

• IMG_9207.jpg
    IMG_9207.jpg
    139.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_9206.jpg
    IMG_9206.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 55
Can you expound on this? I'm currently building a 6.5cm using that 22" criterion barrel. What issues are you thinking I should expect?

Can you expound on this? I'm currently building a 6.5cm using that 22" criterion barrel. What issues are you thinking I should expect?
With higher pressure cartridges like 6.5CM you want the longest lock time possible and shorter dwell time. CM in AR10's is known to be a bit more finicky to get the timing right and extending the gas system can make it easier to find the ideal operating window and saves wear and tear on brass, parts and lessens recoil.
Not saying rifle length can't work, but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I could have a more refined system.
Also, a suppressor will compound any timing problems and before you know it you're running super heavy Springs and buffers just to keep things under control. A +2" gas system buys you a lot of cushion here.

With higher pressure cartridges like 6.5CM you want the longest lock time possible and shorter dwell time. CM in AR10's is known to be a bit more finicky to get the timing right and extending the gas system can make it easier to find the ideal operating window and saves wear and tear on brass, parts and lessens recoil.
Not saying rifle length can't work, but I wouldn't be able to sleep at night knowing I could have a more refined system.
Also, a suppressor will compound any timing problems and before you know it you're running super heavy Springs and buffers just to keep things under control. A +2" gas system buys you a lot of cushion here.
ah well. I guess on the bright side I've got an adjustable gas block, and I already went with a heavy VMOS BCG and standard weight SCS. But now I know where to look if timing is an issue despite those parts. Thanks!

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
ah well. I guess on the bright side I've got an adjustable gas block, and I already went with a heavy VMOS BCG and standard weight SCS. But now I know where to look if timing is an issue despite those parts. Thanks!
You may very well be just fine with that parts combo. I'm just way more uptight about that stuff than most. I might be the only guy on here that thinks mid gas is too short on a 16" 5.56...

Reactions: bfoosh006
I like my 22" +2 Odin Works 6.5C barrel. With 130gr Berger AR Hybrids over a load of StaBall I can get 5rds around an inch pretty consistently.

I put an AGB on it as I shoot suppressed 100% of the time and wanted the longer gas system and AGB to be able to tune it based on what I'd read here and elsewhere ref 6.5C in AR10s.

Last edited:
Adjustable gas block dont do squat for pressure and dwell and super heavy buffers are used
to TRY to correct high pressure issues.

A rifle length gas barrel will work but you will have to load to lower pressures.

Reactions: TonyTheTiger
I'm really happy with my proof research 20" with rifle length gas system. I'm seeing the all steel version, 22", with their CAMGAS system for about $580.

Proof would be my choice if building. The +2 gas system is what you want.

Have picked up several Proof 6.5 GR/CM barrels from Front Range Precision. Excellent price and service, in my experience.