• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ODNR Proposes $15 Fee Per Coyote

Should Ohio Charge Hunters $15 For Every Coyote Killed?

• Yes

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • No

Votes: 80 98.8%

• Total voters

Badfinger

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
  • Aug 11, 2013
    S/W Ohio
    The price on hides is up and here we go with the state trying to cash in on it!

The peoples Defender - By Tom Cross 11/07/2020

In perhaps their most brazen move to date the Ohio Division of Wildlife now wants to charge you $15 to shoot a coyote. What some have claimed as a blatant grab for your wallet, ODNR now wants to establish the coyote as a game animal and fur bearer and require hunters to purchase a fur taker permit before you can legally take a pot shot at a passing coyote, even if it is chasing a deer or the neighbor’s cat.
    From a press release dated Jan. 16 the proposed hunting regulation submitted to the Ohio Wildlife Council for approval reads, “Requiring a fur taker permit for coyote hunting and trapping and adding to the furbearer season”. In doing so Wildlife is unwittingly adding an unwanted layer of protection to the coyote.

The coyote is not native to Ohio and made its way into the Buckeye State in the late 1970’s. It was during the mid-80’s near Peebles that the first reported losses to livestock due to coyote predation were reported in Adams County. At the time the only response the U.S. Dept. of Agriculture could muster was organizing hunts in Adams County to eliminate the predators.
    You would think this proposal would fall flat on its face before the Wildlife Council, but strong forces are at play here particularly by the Ohio State Trappers Association (OSTA). Although trapping has fallen on hard times in Ohio, losing over 50 percent of its trappers from 2009 through 2019, it is the OSTA who is behind ODNR’s push to get this into law.

The coyote, long regarded as a varmint, has taken root in rural countrysides, alongside suburban dwellings and dark urban alleys. Reports of coyotes attacking dogs and pet cats are commonplace. More recently the brazen pack animal has taken to attacking humans and several stories of fending off the varmint with bare hands have made headlines more than once. By some estimates 60 percent of fawns born during spring become prey to coyotes. Some studies have shown that come winter over 50 percent of a coyote’s diet is deer.

Reports of coyotes coming into turkey calls during spring turkey season are common and more than one turkey hunter has busted a sneaky coyote looking for a turkey dinner. Deer hunters regularly take pot shots at coyotes while in a stand or blind. Those same turkey and deer hunters will now be required to purchase an additional $15 permit to legally take a passing shot at the wily critter. I suspect if this becomes law a lot of otherwise legal hunters are going to “leave ‘em lay” and thus turn normally law-abiding sportsmen and women into law breakers.

The one justification ODNR uses is a fact sheet that indicates coyote populations have leveled off during the past 10 years and remain stable. That information is generated from a survey ODNR conducts annually called the “Bowhunter Observation Record” in which randomly selected bowhunters record how many deer seen and how many fur bearers were observed. While that study may reveal coyote population trends, it certainly must reveal the near total extinction of the grey fox and the red fox, which is barely holding on these days as a result of coyote predation. This top of the food chain predator has decimated the groundhogs and wreaked havoc on ground nesting birds. Even yard dogs are not secure and letting a small pooch out to pee can have deadly consequences as many homeowners has viewed in horror their frisky pup being carried away by a couple of hungry coyotes.

Coyote packs usually range from three to five animals. Coyote breeding occurs January through March. Litters are born April through May and can contain 1-12 pups. Most coyotes are gray, though some show a rusty, brown, or off-white coloration. The coyote stands about one and a half to two feet tall and is between 41 to 53 inches in length. Males of this species are larger than the females and weigh anywhere from 20 to 50 pounds.
    The coyote is a nocturnal animal, active during the nighttime hours. However, when it is less threatened by man, it will hunt and move from place to place during the day. The coyote will hunt in unrelated (non-family) pairs or large groups. Coyotes are omnivorous and typical foods include small mammals, vegetables, nuts, and carrion. In spring newborn fawns are particularly vulnerable. Unchecked, they will eat livestock, sheep and chickens. Cats and dogs are also on the menu in more suburban areas.

The resistance to this idea has been growing and an online petition (https://www.change.org/p/odnr-keep-ohio-s-coyote-season-open) has already gathered nearly 25,000 signatures.

According to the January press release, Ohioans are encouraged to comment on the proposed changes and may do so online at wildohio.gov. In person remarks can be made at the weeklong open house at any Division of Wildlife district office March 2-6.
    The Ohio Wildlife Council is an eight-member board that approves all Division of Wildlife proposals. Contact the Ohio Wildlife Council at [email protected].

Please be constructive in your comments and provide any facts or data that supports your argument as they have a tough decision ahead.

Link to the article

Last edited:
    Reactions: camocorvette
    So to save reading is this $15 per coyote or $15 for one tag good for all the coyotes you can get?

They are on drugs, if you don't control the population of coyotes, you'll have no
    Deer to worry about hence no deer hunters and less need for ODNR.
    I started hunting in NE Ohio in the early 70s, coyotes were just getting (re)established and have become a big
    Problem.
    It was expected common practice to shoot one deer hunting, if you let enough
    Of people's favorite dogs, cats etc. get shredded they might get a clue.
    This sounds more of Dewine's minions
    Bullshit.
    Coyotes kill more fawns than any other
    Causes.
    Along with all the other wildlife they prey on.
    Dumbest shit I have heard lately.
    They should be paying for people to shoot them not the other way around.
    I suppose they want you to pay for
    Whacking a feral pig also? Makes about as much sense.

So to save reading is this $15 per coyote or $15 for one tag good for all the coyotes you can get?
    Good question. OP might have it mixed up. Original 'story' was posted Feb 10 2020 here and an update went up here on Feb 27 2020 - https://www.wkbn.com/news/farm-dairy/changes-to-coyote-trapping-in-ohio-on-hold/

I'm not seeing any changes or proposed changes on the OH DNR site either - https://ohiodnr.gov/wps/portal/gov/...ons-by-division/wildlife/hunting-and-trapping

🤷‍♂️ I could be wrong but reading this first paragraph it says "charge you $15 to shoot a coyote" not hunt coyotes or plural.
    So is it a permit like for deer or permit like trapping? I don't really know.

In perhaps their most brazen move to date the Ohio Division of Wildlife now wants to charge you $15 to shoot a coyote. What some have claimed as a blatant grab for your wallet, ODNR now wants to establish the coyote as a game animal and fur bearer and require hunters to purchase a fur taker permit before you can legally take a pot shot at a passing coyote, even if it is chasing a deer or the neighbor’s cat.
    From a press release dated Jan. 16 the proposed hunting regulation submitted to the Ohio Wildlife Council for approval reads, “Requiring a fur taker permit for coyote hunting and trapping and adding to the furbearer season”. In doing so Wildlife is unwittingly adding an unwanted layer of protection to the coyote.

All I know is I was just walking in my woods and it charged right at me!!! ;)

I live in cattle country, mostly beef cattle. My county claimed that we didn't have a coyote problem. They even got so bold as to say they would pay a $12.50 bounty per coyote to prove that we couldn't shoot enough to make a financial difference to them... stupid politicians. On the first day my old man and I killed 20. After three months of the bounty. The county and state agreed that we had a substantial coyote problem and removed the bounty because it caused and undue financial burden on the counties budget.

I'm getting more and more in the mindset of letting shit burn to the ground.

Go to them in an organized group, openly oppose the license fee, address that your organization will make it a goal to stop killing coyotes. Finish your public comment with "You (the GOV) will come back to us BEGGING for help.".

Reactions: deersniper
    States just go where the money is now that they can’t raise taxes anymore without a revolt, and hunters as a group have money and most people don’t care if they are fee’d to death. I’m fairly certain in northern states there will be a fee in the next few years if you exceed a certain number of breaths.

It will be like deer in northern states

Steal your money to pay people to keep you from shooting them
    Steal more of your money to pay “sharp shooters “ to shoot them

Decades ago, CA decided to protect mountain lions. At the time, approximately 300 mountain lions were being killed annually by licensed hunters. Today, the CA DNR kills approximately 300 mountain lions annually. Where they could have hunters pay for the opportunity to take care of population management, they have chosen to have the citizens of the state as a whole carry the burden, via paying DNR staff to kill the animals.

Here is Wyoming they are shoot at will, no license required. You can shoot them from you vehicle off road/two tracks. At night, only on private land with written permission.

Reactions: Badfinger
    Ohio wouldn't be the first state to require a fur bearer license to hunt coyotes. When I lived in North Dakota years ago, they had one too. I think it was $30/year. If you were specifically hunting coyotes, foxes, bobcats (fur bearers, as defined by G&F) you had better have that license on you if you were stopped by the game warden. I'm sure plenty of people shot at coyotes while out deer hunting, but you wouldn't want to have a dead coyote in your truck and no license. I never had a problem with it because I was getting $40/coyote for the green pelts and to me, any money that goes to a state's G&F, DNR, etc. is going towards conservation. ND had and still has great hunting. The $$$ G&F gets is a big part of that. Hunters do tons toward conservation in this country through Pittman Roberts, hunting licenses, habitat stamps, etc. and that is a good thing.

Hunters do tons toward conservation in this country through Pittman Roberts

No that law is bull shit. It’s another bs hidden tax. I’ve never hunted or shot on public land and that ten percent would buy me a couple ais and optics.

Hunters should love it to. All that money going to parks and the granola munchers are becoming successful in getting hunting banned/curtailed

Decades ago, CA decided to protect mountain lions. At the time, approximately 300 mountain lions were being killed annually by licensed hunters. Today, the CA DNR kills approximately 300 mountain lions annually. Where they could have hunters pay for the opportunity to take care of population management, they have chosen to have the citizens of the state as a whole carry the burden, via paying DNR staff to kill the animals.

Same thing with the grizzly in Wyoming/Idaho. Heaven forbid they get paid (a lot) by hunters instead of paying wildlife officers to kill the same number.

Reactions: Holliday
    They are on drugs, if you don't control the population of coyotes, you'll have no
    Deer to worry about hence no deer hunters and less need for ODNR.
    I started hunting in NE Ohio in the early 70s, coyotes were just getting (re)established and have become a big
    Problem.
    It was expected common practice to shoot one deer hunting, if you let enough
    Of people's favorite dogs, cats etc. get shredded they might get a clue.
    This sounds more of Dewine's minions
    Bullshit.
    Coyotes kill more fawns than any other
    Causes.
    Along with all the other wildlife they prey on.
    Dumbest shit I have heard lately.
    They should be paying for people to shoot them not the other way around.
    I suppose they want you to pay for
    Whacking a feral pig also? Makes about as much sense.

I thought it was them paying for each cyote until I read it.... Them damn things are everywhere.

Reactions: Zeroit
    No that law is bull shit. It’s another bs hidden tax. I’ve never hunted or shot on public land and that ten percent would buy me a couple ais and optics.

Hunters should love it to. All that money going to parks and the granola munchers are becoming successful in getting hunting banned/curtailed
    Congratulations on being lucky enough to have private land to hunt on. From your statement, it seems as though you'd to prefer the European model of conservation where only the elite few can even enjoy hunting. Just remember that the deer you have on your land are there in abundance precisely because of Pittman Roberts and the American conservation ethic where game is public resource. When that came in to effect around 1935, deer and all manner of wildlife had been driven to the brink by over hunting. Ask your grandpa and his dad what it was like around the turn of the century all the way up until the 1950s or so. You'd be hard pressed to find a deer in the woods. Now they're everywhere an cost insurance companies loads of cash when drivers hit them. I don't know about you, but I kinda like healthy herds of deer and plenty of wild places to pursue them. Strangely enough, that's one area where granola munchers and hunters can find common ground in these divisive times.

Congratulations on being lucky enough to have private land to hunt on. From your statement, it seems as though you'd to prefer the European model of conservation where only the elite few can even enjoy hunting. Just remember that the deer you have on your land are there in abundance precisely because of Pittman Roberts and the American conservation ethic where game is public resource. When that came in to effect around 1935, deer and all manner of wildlife had been driven to the brink by over hunting. Ask your grandpa and his dad what it was like around the turn of the century all the way up until the 1950s or so. You'd be hard pressed to find a deer in the woods. Now they're everywhere an cost insurance companies loads of cash when drivers hit them. I don't know about you, but I kinda like healthy herds of deer and plenty of wild places to pursue them. Strangely enough, that's one area where granola munchers and hunters can find common ground in these divisive times.

1). I shouldn’t have to pay for your hunting property. And luck has little to do with it. Working 80-100 most weeks has a lot to do with it. .gov gets plenty of our money as is. We don’t need more hidden taxes

2). Deer are over populated long legged disease carrying rats. Here the state restricts you from killing them. Then takes more of your money to use “sharp shooters” and illegal methods to kill them.

3). Those granola munchers would ban all hunting f if they could. That’s a big reason behind their push to expand/protect/reintroduce wolves/bears/etc. They kill off enough of the game animals then “that season is now closed, the numbers are too low to support hunting “

1). I shouldn’t have to pay for your hunting property. And luck has little to do with it. Working 80-100 most weeks has a lot to do with it. .gov gets plenty of our money as is. We don’t need more hidden taxes

2). Deer are over populated long legged disease carrying rats. Here the state restricts you from killing them. Then takes more of your money to use “sharp shooters” and illegal methods to kill them.

3). Those granola munchers would ban all hunting f if they could. That’s a big reason behind their push to expand/protect/reintroduce wolves/bears/etc. They kill off enough of the game animals then “that season is now closed, the numbers are too low to support hunting “
    Sorry, didn't mean to imply that you hadn't earned your property. Cleary you have and then some. In buying hunting licenses, ammo, etc. you're paying to help preserve public lands (which are yours too btw) and the game that roams all across the landscape (including your land). Small price to pay for such a wonderful benefit.

If deer really are just "rats" to you, then you should be 100% in favor of this measly $15/year fee to help protect coyotes. In some places better than 40-50% of deer fawns get eaten up by coyotes. More coyotes = less "disease carrying rats" as you call them.

I agree, some proportion of "granola munchers" would love to see hunting banned by way of game species becoming endangered. But they're a small, crazy fringe that's having an increasingly hard time explaining why they don't contribute to conservation to the extent that hunters/anglers do (thank you Pittman Roberts, hunting/fishing licenses, etc). The Pittman Roberts tax should be expanded to include all the stuff you'd find in an REI store and they should have to buy hiking permits to set foot in the National Forest. Public lands and wild game aren't something anybody is making more of and they should be protected.

Another interesting thing about Pittman Roberts (P-R), especially for those of you who shoot but don't hunt, is that ammo purchases make up the lion's share of the money that tax pulls in. A competitive shooter pays way more into P-R than the typical hunter who might only buy two boxes of ammo per year. However, very little P-R money has gone towards building more shooting ranges and places to shoot. Just recently, Congress opened that up a little, but it sure would be nice to see a 1000 yard range built somewhere back east with P-R funds.

• Love
    Same thing with the grizzly in Wyoming/Idaho. Heaven forbid they get paid (a lot) by hunters instead of paying wildlife officers to kill the same number.

Really chaps my ass. Wyoming Game and fish does a great job managing wildlife here and passing out the appropriate amount of hunting licenses. I have no doubt that they would do so with Grizzlies.

Game departments no longer manage wildlife. They manage people and extract cash from non resident hunters. Give them more money they hire more idiots to screw with you.

I'm getting more and more in the mindset of letting shit burn to the ground.

Go to them in an organized group, openly oppose the license fee, address that your organization will make it a goal to stop killing coyotes. Finish your public comment with "You (the GOV) will come back to us BEGGING for help.".
    The John Galt plan?!

This is a first ive seen for ohio. Seems most places pay for you to bring a pelt in. I haven't done much coyote hunting in the last few years and I dont recall many local predator tournaments here lately.but 4 years ago when I was hunting a 48hr tournament would turn out atleast 80 coyotes atleast. Be a big payday for odnr in that regards. And a hit as most places use them as a fund raiser for sports.

Here in WV, coyote activity is almost all nocturnal. I bowhunt and can tell you that in my experience you rarely see them in the day at all unless you have a really good amount of them.

This is a first ive seen for ohio. Seems most places pay for you to bring a pelt in. I haven't done much coyote hunting in the last few years and I dont recall many local predator tournaments here lately.but 4 years ago when I was hunting a 48hr tournament would turn out atleast 80 coyotes atleast. Be a big payday for odnr in that regards. And a hit as most places use them as a fund raiser for sports.
    It’s intentionally misleading wording. Whatever proposal was being discussed was about classifying them as furbearers thus requiring a furbearer license ($15 annually) to shoot, not a fee of $15 each.

69295F0E-4594-4189-A707-DDD5225696CC.jpeg

Reactions: 308pirate
    Ah. Still dont agree, as most coyote hunters do it to help farmers out and what not. If it were implemented after a few year be no different than duck hunting with having to buy a federal stamp.

Ah. Still dont agree, as most coyote hunters do it to help farmers out and what not. If it were implemented after a few year be no different than duck hunting with having to buy a federal stamp.
    As someone who lives in a state where a furbearer’s license is required to shoot predators, i can confidently say it’s not preventing anyone.

I also disagree with your point. We do it for fun and the vast majority don’t have the resources or ability to make a population level impact without poison. If it actually helped, coyote population levels would be going down, not staying steady.

Of course, my opinion doesn’t matter, I don’t live there and this is an old thread. I simply think coyote hunters can pitch in towards conservation just like literally every other hunter.

Last edited:
    Reactions: skinney_7
    As someone who lives in a state where a furbearer’s license is required to shoot predators, i can confidently say it’s preventing anyone.

I also disagree with your point. We do it for fun and the vast majority don’t have the resources or ability to make a population level impact without poison. If it actually helped, coyote population levels would be going down, not staying steady.

Of course, my opinion doesn’t matter, I don’t live there and this is an old thread. I simply think coyote hunters can pitch in towards conservation just like literally every other hunter.
    Just like pig hunters and those that sell them hunts…

Reactions: HaydenLane
    There is absolutely nothing abnormal about this. We have the the same structure here. You pay for an annual fur bearers license. If you are a landowner and kill on your own land, it's not needed.
    Coyote should be a valuable renewable resource. 3 years ago we averaged 90.00 for 200, this year because the PETA bitches got to the Canada Goose Co. We are at an Avg of 6.00.
    There is no reason for that drastic of a drop, especially with the shit show of inflation that applies to everything else. A Solid Western Heavy should be worth every bit 150.00

Reactions: 308pirate

Some of you people have no fucking clue what you're talking about. Seriously.

The federal government gets into waterfowl management because the US signed a treaty with Canada and Mexico to manage waterfowl population across the American continent, and constitutionally the feds are the only ones who can sign treaties with foreign countries.

Since there's no multinational treaty to manage coyotes, the feds aren't going to magically require a "coyote stamp".

IF coyotes ever make it into ESA the feds are going to step in no matter what. Doubt that will ever happen they way those motherfuckers breed.

It's fifiteen fucking bucks a YEAR. Or go be poor somewhere else.

And yes, I live in Ohio.

Highly disagree with needing a license to shoot coyotes or any other vermin/pests. Regardless if you're a landowner or not. I hunt coyotes for all my rancher friends and because I have a ton of fun doing it. It helps them, and entertains me.

In Saskatchewan, we were averaging $140/coyote pelt sold to market 3-4 years ago. Now, the majority of pelts go unsold in the auction. About 15-20 years ago, the fur market bottomed out and landowners were complaining about coyotes. So counties actually started to put a bounty on them. All you had to do was bring in 4 paws and you got a $20 bill. It's not $140, but it was something to pay for gas.

At home, you need a Fur license ($40/yr) to hunt fur bearing species. Coyotes are exempt from that just because they are such a nuisance animal here for ranchers. Trapping is different... you need the license to trap, regardless of species.