• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Off Barrel Mount for Magneto Speed.

Merovingian

Private
Minuteman
Oct 6, 2019
Cabin fever, needed something to do so figured I put this up. This is a design I'd put together with readily available materials. Uses a 1" bar so it can be hung with standard rings. 2" Angle aluminum. Cut down furniture bolt + handle. Key to making it work is the mount hole in the cradle needs to pressure fit the flat edge of the Magnetospeed against the inside of the cradle. The cradle slot needs to pressure fit against the rear of the fixed bracket. The bar needs to be cut and brazed perpendicular to the bracket. Pay attention to the distances of the brazed mount, too far in and you interfere with the barrel too far out and you won't have enough travel to properly set distance. Also, watch the cradle distance behind the Magnetospeed, too close and you can't plug it in when mounted, and may loose clearance for an allen if the bolt spins (see rubber washers for added friction on this connection point.) As for final fit and finish, I'm a function over form guy so don't care what it looks like and only use it for load workups.

Reactions: Evlshnngns
That is pretty cool. Definitely defeats the issue of POI shift with the MagnetoSpeed. Have you shot with it yet?

Yes, on multiple rigs. Only downside is it requires a pic rail obviously. Easy to move and adjust between different rigs and adapt if I'm running a can or not.

Reactions: 338dude
I added a 1/4-20 nut to the inside of my sporter, so I could use a magic arm with 15mm light weight rods to mount it to a picatinny rail.
IMG_20200122_191616.jpg

Best part is the original mounting equipment is uneffected.

You know I tried CF and milling some CPVC brackets and couldn't get where I wanted to go. Have a good deal of metal work behind me so I ended up just doing something simple and in my wheelhouse. Worked out well in the end because that impact rated PVC ended up solving another issue. Used it to mill a follower insert. When you get it done, post it up here! Don't see many home builds and ones on the market are $$ for what they are. I think I'm into the aluminum unit for $25 with material to spare.

As for what would I do different: a. Smaller knob. That one turned out to be overkill. b. Trim the excess material back a bit. Just finished look thing. c. Spend some more time trying to use a PVC or Neoprene collet to drop the tube diameter and use in a 0 MOA low profile uni-mount rather than individual rings. I started down that road but wasn't very successful finding compatible/affordable parts and after my CF/PVC failure I just wanted to get it done. The rings I already had, and have a benefit in flexibility since I swap it between five different rigs that vary widely. d. May consider cutting the tube back a bit but that hasn't been an issue other than on a 300BLK SBR.

I got the MPA spigot mount for more than $100. I hope Phil’s kids go to the college of their choice!
Nice! I've seen people using similar setups. Outside a heavy duty one for my bow vise, my experience with those ball joints hasn't been good LT. Are they holding up ok?

How stable is it over multiple rounds?
I tried it out a week ago and didn't have any issues with the arm, had to use a NATO clamp instead of a proper picatinny because of the mounting screw location. So that would slip a bit after a few rounds but you could just re-seat it and the bayonet stayed in the same spot. I plan to add another NATO clamp and that should give me enough surface area to prevent slippage.
The arm I'm using was only 25$ or so and there are much stronger options. There is also the potential option of just using 15mm LW and skipping the arm since the bayonet is now threaded.
IMG_20200129_143126.jpg

I'll be taking it out in the morning so we will see how it handles another 50-60rounds of 308

Cabin fever, needed something to do so figured I put this up. This is a design I'd put together with readily available materials. Uses a 1" bar so it can be hung with standard rings. 2" Angle aluminum. Cut down furniture bolt + handle. Key to making it work is the mount hole in the cradle needs to pressure fit the flat edge of the Magnetospeed against the inside of the cradle. The cradle slot needs to pressure fit against the rear of the fixed bracket. The bar needs to be cut and brazed perpendicular to the bracket. Pay attention to the distances of the brazed mount, too far in and you interfere with the barrel too far out and you won't have enough travel to properly set distance. Also, watch the cradle distance behind the Magnetospeed, too close and you can't plug it in when mounted, and may loose clearance for an allen if the bolt spins (see rubber washers for added friction on this connection point.) As for final fit and finish, I'm a function over form guy so don't care what it looks like and only use it for load workups.

Looks like it has some weight to it.

Looks like it has some weight to it.
Haven't weighed it, but it doesn't weight much. I was actually surprised to find out it's very comparable to a CF unit I did that didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. Give me a couple days and I'll post weight. As for any walking, it's rock solid.

I tried it out a week ago and didn't have any issues with the arm, had to use a NATO clamp instead of a proper picatinny because of the mounting screw location. So that would slip a bit after a few rounds but you could just re-seat it and the bayonet stayed in the same spot. I plan to add another NATO clamp and that should give me enough surface area to prevent slippage.
The arm I'm using was only 25$ or so and there are much stronger options. There is also the potential option of just using 15mm LW and skipping the arm since the bayonet is now threaded.
View attachment 7247423
I'll be taking it out in the morning so we will see how it handles another 50-60rounds of 308

If you have a QD sling mount or something similar that has a recoil lug you could put that behind the NATO picatinny mount to keep it from shifting on the rail.

Reactions: Nebulous
Nebulous, just got the magic arm and NATO mount off Amazon. Hoping this will work out to attach the Magneto Speed to a 12" Grendel rifle I have that doesn't have enough barrel space in front of the rail to mount to the barrel. Thanks for the great idea!

Reactions: Nebulous

I use this mount from wiser precision it is very light and rigid and works well also attaches or removes quickly and easily to a rail mounted on the forend of your stock just make sure the rail is long enough to accommodate this and your bipod
E82616F8-A648-4289-80E2-9CA8012AAF2B.jpeg

Reactions: akmike47
I was so inspired by your build and the fact that MK Machining’s mount is never in stock that I ordered some parts to build my version of a mount, might make a post on it after I test it

I just ordered the Wiser mount myself. For $100 it just wasn’t worth my time to try and cobble something together.
features that sold me.
1. System will fit anything I have, from a 338 RPR to an AR10 6.5 CM to my .22 chassis rifle
2. Lots of adjustment
3. Holds the display unit
4. Carbon Fiber😎

• Love
I just ordered the Wiser mount myself. For $100 it just wasn’t worth my time to try and cobble something together.
features that sold me.
1. System will fit anything I have, from a 338 RPR to an AR10 6.5 CM to my .22 chassis rifle
2. Lots of adjustment
3. Holds the display unit
4. Carbon Fiber😎
I’ve got one it works very well