• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Off grid power

Forward543

Dude
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Idaho
Anyone here have experience with wind or low head hydro? Trying to find a generator/ alternator to run on a floating undershot waterwheel. I would like to generate 2kw. Looking for direction.
Thanks

Experience, no. Playing with a similar idea in my head, for when our boat is tied at the slip on the river, yes.

Essentially, a 'water wheel/paddle wheel' anchored to the shore or dock. Obviously, it would need to be large to create the constant torque to overcome the resistance. 2 kw.... that's asking a lot.

Reactions: camotoe
Right now I am going to take an 8 x 4 metal wire spool, build a raft for it, and use pvc pipe cut into 3rds for buckets. Looking at some Asian generators that only require 500 rpm.

Reactions: camotoe
biggest issues with hydro is proper infeed of water

any air in flow drops force = less power
you have to almost set up a pool/inline potential energy while not slowing down water flow
and screen it pre inlet pipe

all of those systems need a battery, you just cant go from a converter to a extension cord
if the flow drops etc you get fluctuating voltage which will destroy electronics

keep us in the loop, would love to see what you come up with

side not there are 1-2 little camping hiking hydro power/ charging stations on the market now
but i havnt seen them in person yet
this is one example

This post is very interesting, I have a cabin in the woods that I’m running off 4 solar panels and 4 battery’s but also have a sidewalk wide stream 40 yds in front that runs year round. A super sized water Lilly sure would add more hours of charging. Keep this thread going with progress very Interested in what you start coming up with.

This post is very interesting, I have a cabin in the woods that I’m running off 4 solar panels and 4 battery’s but also have a sidewalk wide stream 40 yds in front that runs year round. A super sized water Lilly sure would add more hours of charging. Keep this thread going with progress very Interested in what you start coming up with.

Is your solar/battery system not have the capacity that you need?

Actually it’s been kicking ass but my amount of sunshine is limited especially in the winter. My house is on top of the mountain and it obviously gets hammered by the sun. The cabin is on the back of our 250 down in the holler where a couple small creeks converge and has steep mountains on both sides so in the summer it gets good sun and is good winter not so much. Something like this could be just the little bit extra we need especially when guests stay down at the cabin during the winter. Running a full renogy solar system now.

Actually it’s been kicking ass but my amount of sunshine is limited especially in the winter. My house is on top of the mountain and it obviously gets hammered by the sun. The cabin is on the back of our 250 down in the holler where a couple small creeks converge and has steep mountains on both sides so in the summer it gets good sun and is good winter not so much. Something like this could be just the little bit extra we need especially when guests stay down at the cabin during the winter. Running a full renogy solar system now.
If you have high amounts of drop, it is not to tough to get pretty kick-ass power

Without knowing your system, I'm assuming you could add to it? Cost wise, you could add some more PV panels to your system for less than it would cost adding wind or hydro. Just a thought. But if you like to tinker, you could probably do some hydro using scrap or used parts and pieces and make it cost effective.

I’ve already considered running two more panels on a post on the other side of the creek to catch the afternoon sun my 4 panels now are on the roof of cabin. It’s been enough power so far but in the winter if we put say a family of four down there using everything like there back at there city house then I’ll have to run the generator a little in the afternoons to get the batteries back up. Think the hydro would be cool if like you say I can do it without spending crazy money

Reactions: Alpine 338
I’ve already considered running two more panels on a post on the other side of the creek to catch the afternoon sun my 4 panels now are on the roof of cabin. It’s been enough power so far but in the winter if we put say a family of four down there using everything like there back at there city house then I’ll have to run the generator a little in the afternoons to get the batteries back up. Think the hydro would be cool if like you say I can do it without spending crazy money
I'm not an authority on the topic, I've just 'researched' a bit about it. From what I understand, it is the 'torque' where you get the energy from. Not so much the 'flow'. The point being, if you create a method of turning an alternator (or generator if you have one) at a consistent rate, then you'll have "electricity creation".... and it doesn't take much for scrap and tinkering to 'get that started'.

BUT,,,, it is in the 'efficiency' where you start to spend the dollars. As in, what you build may only be 10-15% efficient. And then when you sit back, math-it-all-out.... then say "I could do SO much better if only I ....." then THAT is where you start to spend the dollars.

It is up to you as to the 'point of return' though I will say, if that is your ONLY option, then anything you do will be better than what you have now. The bigger the battery bank you have, the 'better' your system will be.

So's I've been told. Others can agree or prove me wrong as they see-fit.

You get to design based on requirement and available power.
For hydro, A slow moving, low head water source needs a boat load of volume to be productive. The reason seems to be lack of efficient capturing method. Even an overshot waterwheel is better than an undershot, but the site must agree. If you have high head(pressure) you need less volume to get a reliable energy source.
Then comes sizing of system. If you have a reliable hydro system that creates larger amounts of power than your peak wattage draw, you are set. Most sites do not have this. With Solar, hydro, wind, etc that do not meet peak draw, you need a battery of sorts. Batteries are neat, but the return on investment can crush the whole project. When looking at the whole system it seems better to start with required power and minimize this, then start getting energy. At the same time look at your battery situation. Every site will be unique as to what power is available and what the most effective method is.