• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Off set rifle foregrip legal?

josh.rizzo

Private
Minuteman
Feb 3, 2014
So I saw the video on the "Zero Sterling Grip" and decided to try it out. Its basically VFG mounted to the 9 o'clock rail and slightly angled.

I ran it at a couple 3 gun matches for fun. At the last match though, someone mentioned that the ATF requires that all grips be in the same plane and that this grip would be illegal. I was not able to find any such ruling, but I wanted to check around and make sure I'm not doing something illegal.

Can anyone confirm or deny that there is an ATF rule about the position of forward grips on rifles? Sources would be greatly appreciated.

Also, lets lay off the discussion on the technique in the video. I'm more interested in the ATF rules. Thanks!

I've only seen such rulings as this in regards to secondary grip on pistols ie; AR & Sub gun style pistols.

Stupidest thing I've ever heard, so it might be true.
But I think that "chainsaw" shotgun would also violate that rule, so...
'Course the ATF isn't known for being consistent.

As far as I can tell, they only regulate forward grips on AR pistols. Their position is that a pistol is designed to be shot with one hand and that if you add a fore grip, it's no longer a pistol. Apparently 99% of the pistol shooters, including myself, are doing it wrong per the ATF. Two grips on a pistol makes it an AOW and subject to NFA regulation. Sounds like one of those "my cousin's uncle's cousin's pappy told me..." type of things. Call your local ATF field office if you want to be sure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Anytime you question ATF rulings, best is to write them the question and receive your answer on BATF letterhead.

I can't imagine they care what angle you mount your grip at on a rifle. Now if its an AR pistol you have to be real careful about what you mount on it or you turn it into a short barreled rifle. Generally I take anything some geezer at the range tells me with a whole shaker of salt. People that don't research stuff like this or know what the internet is aren't the best sources of legal advice. If you really want to know, write the ATF, call the NRA, ask somebody that knows. If the internet consensus is good enough, then I think you can rest easy.