• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Off the Shelf Sub-Sonic for Suppressed 308, 6.8, 5.56

KYbulldog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 7, 2013
Kentucky
Looking for verified safe to shoot off the shelf commercial sub sonic ammo for any of the following:
308 18.5" 1/11 tw Rifle gas (adj)
6.8 11.5" 1/11tw carbine gas
.223/5.56 1/9 tw mid gas

Subsonic 5.56 you might as well be shooting .22LR.

With all of those being gas guns you are not going to get good results, even with the adjustable gas block you will likely run into some issues... What is your goal with shooting subs? Also what cans are you using on the different rifles?

With all of those being gas guns you are not going to get good results, even with the adjustable gas block you will likely run into some issues... What is your goal with shooting subs? Also what cans are you using on the different rifles?

The goal is to get some verified range reports from someone running similar equipment so I don't have to build my own, even though I'll probably try at some point. The goal is most quiet while still operational out to 100yd. preferably off the shelf. Using one can. Multi-Cal Crux Ark-30.

What do you mean by "still operational"? If you mean to find subsonic ammo that cycles those rifles, forget it, it doesn't exist and isn't going to. Your barrel twist rates are too slow for the heavy bullets, and the cartridges are not good subsonic performers for cycling an AR action.

What do you mean by "still operational"? If you mean to find subsonic ammo that cycles those rifles, forget it, it doesn't exist and isn't going to. Your barrel twist rates are too slow for the heavy bullets, and the cartridges are not good subsonic performers for cycling an AR action.

I understand all that, these weren't built for sub-sonic...but I have read of some doing some work on it...there seems to be some disagreement that the winged unicorn exists. Came across this on 68forums of a few loads that actually cycle the action. http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?5642-I-have-a-subsonic-load-nearly-perfected

Maybe I missed it but not a single person in that thread claimed they could make a sub sonic cycle. They even talked about just turning the gas off and running it like a bolt.

Maybe I missed it but not a single person in that thread claimed they could make a sub sonic cycle. They even talked about just turning the gas off and running it like a bolt.

Someone had cut and pasted some loads from another forum...one load under 1100fps...all mention "cycles the action"

"Loader: constructor
Powder: 11.6gr RE7.
Bullet: 130gr Sierra SBT
Brass: SSA small primer
Primer: n/a
Crimp: none.
OAL: 2.26".
Gun: 16" Model 1 1:10 twist, carbine gas system
Chrony Data (@ 10'): 11.7gr =1200fps
Note: Cycles the action!

Loader: constructor
Powder: 16.1gr 748.
Chrony Data (@ 10'): 16.3gr=1250fps
Note: Cycles the action!

Loader: constructor
Powder: 20gr RE19
Chrony Data (@ 10'): RE19 20gr=1040fps
Note: Cycles the action!"

Dog,
Two of those loads, 1200fps and 1250fps, while they may cycle the action.... dam crackers...

Absolutely best of luck to u with load development and waiting to hear results.

And just a comment, no offense to anybody, who really wants to shoot something important with a almost single shot 32 s&w short or a non plus p 38 special because that's about the performance level...

We shoot a lot of pigs in traps, and so far, unless (or even if) you put it exactly the right brain spot, even real sub 220 in the blackout aren't exciting performers.

(Yes, we know heavy subsonics in 3-5 round auto bursts to center chest or the head, works pretty good on "not gassed up" "things"..)

Last edited:
I understand all that, these weren't built for sub-sonic...but I have read of some doing some work on it...there seems to be some disagreement that the winged unicorn exists. Came across this on 68forums of a few loads that actually cycle the action. http://68forums.com/forums/showthread.php?5642-I-have-a-subsonic-load-nearly-perfected

Now you're talking about specialty handloads that *maybe* just barely cycle a specific rifle that is set up to run that load. That's a long ways from commercial subsonic loads that will cycle your rifles which aren't twisted fast enough for heavy subsonics anyway.

What you're looking for exists in a 300 Blackout, but not in the three you have.

beck was mentioned earlier, and we use it on the farm as well with no issues. they do have 308 and 223 listed for off the shelf subsonic. not sure I have seen any 6.8 subs commercially available,especially for that twist.