• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Officer kills dog after going to the wrong address

Re: Officer kills dog after going to the wrong address

being with the government means never having to say you're sorry.

Any time your dog is off leash and not contained by a fence you're risking it's life. Sad story.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.weareaustin.com/news/top-stor...ce=home_oneline

The Department could at least apologize to the guy and offer to get him another dog... </div></div>Yeah, and if he shot his wife or kid he could at least offer to get him another one of those too.
crazy.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: truth</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any time your dog is off leash and not contained by a fence you're risking it's life. Sad story. </div></div>

Really? The yard was fenced but the owner went out to his truck and allowed the dog to follow. The dog didn't leave the yard or it's own property.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ArmchairElite</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">http://www.weareaustin.com/news/top-stor...ce=home_oneline

The Department could at least apologize to the guy and offer to get him another dog... </div></div>Yeah, and if he shot his wife or kid he could at least offer to get him another one of those too.
crazy.gif
</div></div>

Point taken... lol

My property you damn well better know where you are and why you are there. A .45 woulda ripped air if Bulleit didn't get him first, because the only armed individual's here are the one's that I invite, and they all pretty much carry 45's too. Same for most of the neighborhood...except the 'Barney'. You step across that asphalt onto concrete, one must be amicable, and of good intent round these here parts because dogs is family

I finally got to watch/listen to the dash cam on a real computer. There are a few things that bother me, not much of it is about the dog.
At the time of the shot on my little youtube counter the dude had been foot mobile for less than 20 seconds.

He failed to identify himself at any point as a police officer.

He held a citizen at gunpoint, with the aforementioned lack of identification, without even bothering to ask what he was doing, who he was, etc.

Is it normal for cops to get out of their car, draw their weapon, and hold at gunpoint the first person they see?

The transcript goes "Show me your hands, show me your hands, get yo dog <bang>" with no pause at all.

Not to mention his description to the supervisor which is almost pure fiction and could have been summed up in, I got out of my car, drew my gun, and shot the fir...second living thing I saw before half a minute elapsed. Door to door my fucking ass.

The last thing: do PDs use mIRC or Yahoo IM for official business, because somebody is chatting up a frigging storm on his tough book?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grimm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I finally got to watch/listen to the dash cam on a real computer. There are a few things that bother me, not much of it is about the dog.
At the time of the shot on my little youtube counter the dude had been foot mobile for less than 20 seconds.

He failed to identify himself at any point as a police officer.

He held a citizen at gunpoint, with the aforementioned lack of identification, without even bothering to ask what he was doing, who he was, etc.

Is it normal for cops to get out of their car, draw their weapon, and hold at gunpoint the first person they see?

The transcript goes "Show me your hands, show me your hands, get yo dog <bang>" with no pause at all.

Not to mention his description to the supervisor which is almost pure fiction and could have been summed up in, I got out of my car, drew my gun, and shot the fir...second living thing I saw before half a minute elapsed. Door to door my fucking ass.

The last thing: do PDs use mIRC or Yahoo IM for official business, because somebody is chatting up a frigging storm on his tough book? </div></div>

See this is where shit starts to take a silly turn.

How long does he need to be "foot mobile" in your opinion before he is allowed to feel threatened?

He didn't ID himself as an officer? If the big ass car with red and blue shiny lights and "POLICE" painted on side didn't give it away or the guy in uniform, then I don't think shouting police would have helped.

As far as the "chatter" you hear from inside the car, not a rocket scientist here but I would guess those to be transmissions from the police radio.

Broker,

I've read several articles and watched the video on this. Couldn't find where it says the front of the house or where the shooting took place was fenced in. The backyard may have been fenced in but I don't think where the incident happened had a fence.

This is sucks on several levels. The cop being sent to the wrong address by the dispatcher. The owner not having control of his dog. And a cop who by all accounts appears to have a fear of dogs.

Now no doubt this is a trajic event and nothing will bring back the poor dog. There will be a law suit and no doubt the city/county will pay out big time because it was an error that sent the officer to wrong address in first place. Before you condem the officer understand Domestic Disputes cause more injuries to officers than any other call.

I watched the whole video also. Anyone who thinks they can make an educated judgement as to if the officer was wrong or right in this from footage, really needs to consider another line of work as investigations aint the career for you.

Sad the dog died but waiting for a dof to actually bite is waiting to long. If the dog ran at him in an agressive way and the owner was doing nothing to stop him, well the shooting will be justified.

You dont need to identify yourself as a [olice officer, when your in full uniform and arrive in fully marked police car. The court has recognized this as fng obvious. Thats why most departments will always send marked vehicles and uniformed officers o search warrants. Courts take judical notice, which menas obvious as all f to everyone with a brain.

I see nothing to condem the officer in this video. I see nothing to say the officer was justified in the video.

In general this is indicative of the core issues with LE in America - LE is the only group lawfully acting as an enforcement arm. They are tax payer funded and there is no alternative for the taxpayer.

The situation is not much different if the wrong address were given for a raid on the home. And Lord help those that would treat such errant LE as any other thug coming through the door announcing 'Police, open up' the half second before the ram hit the door. Even if you fended off the initial wave and fought your way to a stand still, your odds of living through the event would be slim, and your odds of not going to jail as a cop killer would be minimal at best.

Personally I would like to see two changes:

A) Individuals have zero immunity and zero liability protection in the event of a mistake.

B) Open up the job of enforcement to bid from private firms that can be hired and fired by the public at will. If the public does not like the service or the caliber of employees, policies and or procedures, they can terminate the firm without cause and replace them. As a side benefit - this would help to cripple unions in America.

Good luck

On the bright side, he did it with only one shot.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An APD spokesperson says the officer was responding to a disturbance call at an address a 911 caller had given. The address the officer was given was wrong, and as he was investigating he came upon Michael Paxton in his driveway and told him to put his hands in the air.

That’s when Paxton’s dog came from the back of the house at the officer, who then shot the dog because he felt threatened, according to the APD spokesperson</div></div>

Based on that information, sad as it was, I'd have done the done thing.

Domestic disturbances are about the most dangerous things an officer can be involved in. I myself have had, more then once, dogs attacking and even suspects sicking the dog on me.

They didn't pay me enough to get chewed on. The officer had no ideal he was being sent to the wrong address, nor had any ideal what he was getting into.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see in the article where the cop drew his gun as soon as he got out of the car.

I'm a dog lover, I hate to see any dog injured, but I was a cop and I've been in that situation more then once.

http://929nin.com/austin-police-officer-responds-to-wrong-address-shoots-mans-dog/

Fuck that guy, someone should have shot him.

Officers can return fire when someone shoots at a K9, but it's cool for them to just show up at some dude's house who has done absolutely nothing wrong (and I don't really give a shit what they THOUGHT they were getting into; situational awareness and sound judgement can do wonders)... come on his property and kill his dog who by the looks of the video the guy shot was well within 25m from the street- solidly, 100% on his property.

Just as switchblade said- shoot my dog, your ass is going home in a bag and I'll gladly let a jury of my peers acquit since they are tired of this sort of thing happening and WILL hold cops to the same standards they hold civilians (15 years ago cops shot dead a guy who killed their K9 in my area; not that I object to it) You don't get to defend your dog with lethal force and I have to just sit back and take it. I'm reasonably certain at least one juror could be convinced shooting my dog shows hostile intent.

Officer DP425 one day beer will be on me. And thanks for sticking up for constitution during Katrina unlike some other motherfuckers im no longer friends with.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An APD spokesperson says the officer was responding to a disturbance call at an address a 911 caller had given. The address the officer was given was wrong, and as he was investigating he came upon Michael Paxton in his driveway and told him to put his hands in the air.

That’s when Paxton’s dog came from the back of the house at the officer, who then shot the dog because he felt threatened, according to the APD spokesperson</div></div>

Based on that information, sad as it was, I'd have done the done thing.

Domestic disturbances are about the most dangerous things an officer can be involved in. I myself have had, more then once, dogs attacking and even suspects sicking the dog on me.

They didn't pay me enough to get chewed on. The officer had no ideal he was being sent to the wrong address, nor had any ideal what he was getting into.

Maybe I missed it, but I didn't see in the article where the cop drew his gun as soon as he got out of the car.

I'm a dog lover, I hate to see any dog injured, but I was a cop and I've been in that situation more then once.</div></div>

Thats the type of attitude which causes some cops to be labeled cowards with badges.

"i dont get paid enough to get chewed on"
really, how about we just dont pay you at all, you can go find another job..
If you would have shot my dog on my property, while being there incorrectly in the first place, badge is meaningless.

"when policemen break the law, then there is no law, only a fight for survival".

I worked south central LA for several years, everyone has a pit bull or a rottweiler. Pepper sprayed hundreds, kicked a few and only had to shoot one.
It was pit bull, chewing on a guys face at the time.
The dog in the story was 40 pounds at best, if you cant find another way to control your fear besides shooting it, you shouldnt be in police work in the first place.
find a nice security mall job.

"i dont get paid enough to get chewed on" - dumbass statement of the day

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Broker,

I've read several articles and watched the video on this. Couldn't find where it says the front of the house or where the shooting took place was fenced in. The backyard may have been fenced in but I don't think where the incident happened had a fence.

This is sucks on several levels. The cop being sent to the wrong address by the dispatcher. The owner not having control of his dog. And a cop who by all accounts appears to have a fear of dogs. </div></div>

The owner said he had left their backyard to go to his truck. A property being fully fenced doesn't imply the driveway in this area, so I should have clarified better.

I'm also for the record not placing the entire blame upon the officer or stating his actions were wrong presuming the dog did admittedly charge him even per the owner's account, but I am blaming the dept as a whole as it was their mistake going to the wrong address and it resulted in damages to the home owner. Being LE does not absolve them from mistakes or consequences. Take away the emotional damages from the loss you still have financial damages if you're a responsible pet owner i.e. cost of the animal, shots, neutering, food, etc. The Dept hasn't even so much as at least apologized to the owner even when it is undeniable and FACT that they were at the wrong address without a warrant or probable cause and it resulted in damages to an innocent party. They were negligible. On the emotional subject... They can't say it was "Just a dog" either. So is a K-9, but you kill a K-9 in this state you face the same charges as killing an Officer, even if the K-9 attacks you by mistaken identity.

On a side note. It's become disturbing that some feel LE are somehow absolved from consequence and above obedience to the same laws as those they Serve & Protect because of the risk incurred by their position. They need to remember that they are here to "Serve & Protect" ALL citizens including those alleged. They are not Judge & Jury, and they are not infallible or indemnified. They have great authority and with such comes responsibility, not a lack there of. In this instance I do think the officer did what was necessary to protect himself in the given situation, but it does not mean that he has not committed wrong against the other party and does not mean he is free from reparations to that party. It's like swerving to miss hitting a child in the street and hitting someones car. Yes, you were doing what was necessary to avoid harm, but you still owe for the damages to the innocent party. Remove the officers uniform and would that person not be liable?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
</div></div>

I heard a Judge once say "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" when given the fact that a defendant did not know their actions were illegal. Kraig given the same situation if you were involved would you not at least apologize to the guy?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DP425</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Just as switchblade said- shoot my dog, your ass is going home in a bag....</div></div>

Riiiight...

Lets not get stupid here (oop, too late...)

First, the guy got sent to the wrong address. It happens.

Second, IF he drew his gun upon exiting the car, he was wrong. If I drew my gun for every disturbance call I went on, I wouldnt need a holster. Everybody keeps mentioning domestic disturbances, but there was no evidence a domestic was taking place. Yes be cautious, but find out what your into before you start whipping out guns.

Third, if youre THAT afraid if dogs, get another job. Theres WAY scarier stuff out here than dogs.

I think the officer was wrong. I think he reacted too quickly to something that might could have been handled another way.

He owes the dog owner an apology and APD needs to pay out some cash.

The dog ran up to the officer and was barking. NOT BITING! Barking is not a justifiable reason to shoot a dog on the owner's property. The cop is obviously scared of dogs. He should be given a desk job so he does not have deal with them.

The newspaper boys, ups driver, mail man, pizza delivery guy all have the same situation happen to them on a daily basis for f&cks sake.

Wasn't it Lincoln who told the story of killing a dog with a pitch fork. The owner ask Lincoln why he didn't use the other other end, Lincoln replied "because the dog didn't come at me with the other end".

I've met some cops that were terrific people and some that were real jerks. Just like any job. They are just people. I wouldn't want to do their job because they are held to such a high standard and everybody has bad days. That said I run into dogs all the time at my job. Do I get to shoot them if I feel threatened? No, I work at a school. What about if a kid is threatened? No, my tough luck. It's my job to risk getting chewed on so the child can get indoors. Their are many times that I am concerned about my safety because I have to go catch a big pitbull, but I'm not aloud to carry weapons which includes pepperspray(I really wouldn't want to spray one either). I don't know this guy or what he is like in person, but I personally would not have felt threatened by one dog that size. Also, if a cop pulled up to my house, got out of his car and shot my dog I would never really get over it. It's bad enough when you put them down because they finally got cancer. I know cops that feel the same about dogs as I do. I've had them help me get dogs out of really bad situations before and for that I am very grateful to them. It all depends on which cop shows up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wasn't it Lincoln who told the story of killing a dog with a pitch fork. The owner ask Lincoln why he didn't use the other other end, Lincoln replied "because the dog didn't come at me with the other end". </div></div>

Lol... If it's true that's some friggin awesome... But, we're not talking about someone's dog attacking a person on someone elses property. We're talking about someone killing a dog on it's own property.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

As far as the "chatter" you hear from inside the car, not a rocket scientist here but I would guess those to be transmissions from the police radio.

</div></div>
Well thank god you cleared that up for me, I couldn't separate human voices from the distinctive clatter-thump of an text based messaging system.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KraigWY</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Based on that information, sad as it was, I'd have done the done thing.

</div></div> Your statement surprises me, but not the part about being chewed on. That I totally get.
I read an article this Morning where APD stated he drew his gun "as he exited the car" but I can see him do it on the dash cam.
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VUzpNDSLHPY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VUzpNDSLHPY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

That dog did what every dog in the world does when someone they don't know comes into their property - he barked - I have had dogs all my life and you can tell by the bark that it was startled but not in the attack mode. That Police Officer is afraid dogs I would bet a lot of money on it. From the time the dog barked and came towards him until the time he shot it it was under three seconds. The Police Officer was scared. This is a shame on so many levels.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grimm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VUzpNDSLHPY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VUzpNDSLHPY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object> </div></div>

He did draw his weapon as he entered the driveway. I love how he asks "Why didn't you get your dog?" yet he literally shot the dog not even a 1/2 second after he shouted "Get your dog!". He didn't even give the owner time to react yet blamed the owner for not getting his dog. Last time I checked your not required to have a dog on a leash in it's own driveway. He also deliberately tries to displace the blame on the dog's owner and find every excuse he can to make it somehow the owners fault that he shot the dog. You can hear the officer claim he said "Get your dog! Get your dog!" (10:13) but he only said it once and fired immediately upon saying it. I love how they also treat the owner like he's an inconvenience to have to deal with after they made the mistake. Then at 15:52 they walk down to the correct address yet they approach with no weapons pulled.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

A) Individuals have zero immunity and zero liability protection in the event of a mistake.

B) Open up the job of enforcement to bid from private firms that can be hired and fired by the public at will. If the public does not like the service or the caliber of employees, policies and or procedures, they can terminate the firm without cause and replace them. As a side benefit - this would help to cripple unions in America.
</div></div>

Sounds great to me. I'll be taking out an insurance policy since no one on this planet is perfect and unable to make a mistake. The insurance will work similar to malpractice insurance for a surgeon so I'll take their salary as well.

First thing I notice is the officer has tunnel vision and is complacent in his situational awareness. He pulls up directly in front of the address he is responding too, he get directly out of his car, no taking up a tactical position to listen – this is supposed to be a domestic call, stop for 10 seconds and listen, see what you can hear, prepare yourself for what awaits on the other side of the door. Do we respond to a domestic call without a backup? That depends, exigent circumstances, resources available to the officer on that department for that shift, but it is apparent through the video that backup was only a few seconds away. Would backup have prevented the dog from attacking? Hard to say, but having more than one person is just good common sense. I really get sick of hearing other officer talk about how they don’t get paid enough to get chewed on or spit at or hit, kicked, shot, shot at, pissed on, shit on, and the list goes on and on. I could understand this comment from a new officer, after a few years you are doing the job because it is a calling, it is a lifestyle. Law Enforcement should not be perceived as give and take career, it is a give only career. You are constantly giving more than you could ever be compensated for. This should not carry over into how you do your job. You should know that as a Police Officer you may be bitten by a dog while carrying out your duties, either figure out ways to deal with circumstances like this or turn in your badge and take up a desk job. (This goes back to having your backup Officer next to you, he or you could have used the other resources on your batman belt, ie tazer, peperspray, baton…all the while you wouldn’t worry about the threat of the human due to having a SECOND person there covering off on the human threat.) In my opinion if someone makes the argument that they need the same safe and respectable work environment as any other career then you really need to take a long hard look at what you expect from the job of a public servant sworn to protect the liberties, rights, and safety of the public. I served in the Marine Corps and the Army, If I heard or ever uttered bs about not getting paid enough to get shot at then I would rather quickly be told to GTFO and find a different MOS that would support the working environment I required to maintain a safe and comfortable existence. Just my .2

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: daybreak1199</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First thing I notice is the officer has tunnel vision and is complacent in his situational awareness. He pulls up directly in front of the address he is responding too, he get directly out of his car, no taking up a tactical position to listen – this is supposed to be a domestic call, stop for 10 seconds and listen, see what you can hear, prepare yourself for what awaits on the other side of the door. Do we respond to a domestic call without a backup? That depends, exigent circumstances, resources available to the officer on that department for that shift, but it is apparent through the video that backup was only a few seconds away. Would backup have prevented the dog from attacking? Hard to say, but having more than one person is just good common sense. I really get sick of hearing other officer talk about how they don’t get paid enough to get chewed on or spit at or hit, kicked, shot, shot at, pissed on, shit on, and the list goes on and on. I could understand this comment from a new officer, after a few years you are doing the job because it is a calling, it is a lifestyle. Law Enforcement should not be perceived as give and take career, it is a give only career. You are constantly giving more than you could ever be compensated for. This should not carry over into how you do your job. You should know that as a Police Officer you may be bitten by a dog while carrying out your duties, either figure out ways to deal with circumstances like this or turn in your badge and take up a desk job. (This goes back to having your backup Officer next to you, he or you could have used the other resources on your batman belt, ie tazer, peperspray, baton…all the while you wouldn’t worry about the threat of the human due to having a SECOND person there covering off on the human threat.) In my opinion if someone makes the argument that they need the same safe and respectable work environment as any other career then you really need to take a long hard look at what you expect from the job of a public servant sworn to protect the liberties, rights, and safety of the public. I served in the Marine Corps and the Army, If I heard or ever uttered bs about not getting paid enough to get shot at then I would rather quickly be told to GTFO and find a different MOS that would support the working environment I required to maintain a safe and comfortable existence. Just my .2 </div></div>

First of all dude, learn how to write in paragraphs, it will make it easier to read your dribble. Second of all, you're Goddamned right, I don't get paid to get bit by a fucking dog or spit on by some mope carrying who knows what disease. Sorry, but it's not in the job description. You can NEVER pay me enough and you can rest assured that I will and have taken whatever measures to prevent myself or my team from getting bitten. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just foolish beyond repair.

Then again, this is coming from a guy who thinks that someone can have tunnel vision while being complacent at the same time. Doesn't one negate the other? Are you a cop? News to you, this IS A JOB. A "lifestyle", a "calling"? What fucking fairytale bubble are you living in? It's a job, a way to earn a living. It doesn't define who I am. There IS life outside the job.

Hopefully you're not one of these guys that eats, shits, breathes and sleeps with the shield, cause if you are, you're in for a long twenty.

As far as the officer in the video goes, I'm sure most of you will be glad to know that he's been pulled from street duty. Wonder if the dispatcher/call taker got the same treatment. This doesn't rest squarely on his shoulders. He had a duty to respond and he went where he was dispatched to. None of us have the particulars of the job he was sent on other than "domestic" so its hard to judge him on his level of response. As tragic as this is and being the owner of two dogs, Cisco's owner shares blame in this as well. Had he had control over his animal, this may have been averted.

Not that any reasonable or relevant points here matter. The Hide jury has already reached it's verdict.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: daybreak1199</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First thing I notice is the officer has tunnel vision and is complacent in his situational awareness. He pulls up directly in front of the address he is responding too, he get directly out of his car, no taking up a tactical position to listen – this is supposed to be a domestic call, stop for 10 seconds and listen, see what you can hear, prepare yourself for what awaits on the other side of the door. Do we respond to a domestic call without a backup? That depends, exigent circumstances, resources available to the officer on that department for that shift, but it is apparent through the video that backup was only a few seconds away. Would backup have prevented the dog from attacking? Hard to say, but having more than one person is just good common sense. I really get sick of hearing other officer talk about how they don’t get paid enough to get chewed on or spit at or hit, kicked, shot, shot at, pissed on, shit on, and the list goes on and on. I could understand this comment from a new officer, after a few years you are doing the job because it is a calling, it is a lifestyle. Law Enforcement should not be perceived as give and take career, it is a give only career. You are constantly giving more than you could ever be compensated for. This should not carry over into how you do your job. You should know that as a Police Officer you may be bitten by a dog while carrying out your duties, either figure out ways to deal with circumstances like this or turn in your badge and take up a desk job. (This goes back to having your backup Officer next to you, he or you could have used the other resources on your batman belt, ie tazer, peperspray, baton…all the while you wouldn’t worry about the threat of the human due to having a SECOND person there covering off on the human threat.) In my opinion if someone makes the argument that they need the same safe and respectable work environment as any other career then you really need to take a long hard look at what you expect from the job of a public servant sworn to protect the liberties, rights, and safety of the public. I served in the Marine Corps and the Army, If I heard or ever uttered bs about not getting paid enough to get shot at then I would rather quickly be told to GTFO and find a different MOS that would support the working environment I required to maintain a safe and comfortable existence. Just my .2 </div></div>

First of all dude, learn how to write in paragraphs, it will make it easier to read your dribble. Second of all, you're Goddamned right, I don't get paid to get bit by a fucking dog or spit on by some mope carrying who knows what disease. Sorry, but it's not in the job description. You can NEVER pay me enough and you can rest assured that I will and have taken whatever measures to prevent myself or my team from getting bitten. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just foolish beyond repair.

Then again, this is coming from a guy who thinks that someone can have tunnel vision while being complacent at the same time. Doesn't one negate the other? Are you a cop? News to you, this IS A JOB. A "lifestyle", a "calling"? What fucking fairytale bubble are you living in? It's a job, a way to earn a living. It doesn't define who I am. There IS life outside the job.

Hopefully you're not one of these guys that eats, shits, breathes and sleeps with the shield, cause if you are, you're in for a long twenty.

As far as the officer in the video goes, I'm sure most of you will be glad to know that he's been pulled from street duty. Wonder if the dispatcher/call taker got the same treatment. This doesn't rest squarely on his shoulders. He had a duty to respond and he went where he was dispatched to. None of us have the particulars of the job he was sent on other than "domestic" so its hard to judge him on his level of response. As tragic as this is and being the owner of two dogs, Cisco's owner shares blame in this as well. Had he had control over his animal, this may have been averted.

Not that any reasonable or relevant points here matter. The Hide jury has already reached it's verdict. </div></div>

I know you guys like to defend your own and all that, but there seems to be a whole lot of this going on in the past few years and it isn't making y'all any friends.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: opshin556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Thats the type of attitude which causes cops to be labeled cum monkeys with badges.

"i dont get paid enough to get chewed on"
really, how about we just dont pay you at all, you can go find another job..
If you would have shot my dog on my property, while being there incorrectly in the first place, badge is meaningless.

"when policemen break the law, then there is no law, only a fight for survival".

I worked south central LA for several years, everyone has a pit bull or a rottweiler. Pepper sprayed hundreds, kicked a few and only had to shoot one.
It was pit bull, chewing on a guys face at the time.
The dog in the story was 40 pounds at best, if you cant find another way to control your fear besides shooting it, you shouldnt be in police work in the first place.
find a nice security mall job.

"i dont get paid enough to get chewed on" - dumbass statement of the day

</div></div>

OPSHIN556, Still waiting for you to tell us why you got fired from the LAPD! You can PM me if you'd like.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know you guys like to defend your own and all that, but there seems to be a whole lot of this going on in the past few years and it isn't making y'all any friends.</div></div>

It isn't about defending "our own and all that". It's about exercising common sense. Everyone on here cries, bitches and moans about their 2nd Amendment rights and how they need a gun to defend themselves from everything under the sun. But God forbid a cop uses his gun to defend himself from perceived threat all hell breaks loose.

I won't defend the cop rapist that was convicted here earlier this month. I won't defend the cop that was robbing drug dealers and you won't catch me jumping to the defense of the cop who turned out to be a pedophile. Those guys and guys like them are scumbags and deserve to rot in prison. Actually some deserve worse.

But this guy was acting in the performance of his duties and in good faith. Could he have screwed up? Yup, but it wasn't solely him. The owner of the dog bears fault as does the dispatcher. Should the department publicly apologize to the dog owner? Absolutely. Mistakes happen in the real world, just not on the Hide.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know you guys like to defend your own and all that, but there seems to be a whole lot of this going on in the past few years and it isn't making y'all any friends.</div></div>

It isn't about defending "our own and all that". It's about exercising common sense. Everyone on here cries, bitches and moans about their 2nd Amendment rights and how they need a gun to defend themselves from everything under the sun. <span style="font-weight: bold">But God forbid a cop uses his gun to defend himself from perceived threat </span>all hell breaks loose.

I won't defend the cop rapist that was convicted here earlier this month. I won't defend the cop that was robbing drug dealers and you won't catch me jumping to the defense of the cop who turned out to be a pedophile. Those guys and guys like them are scumbags and deserve to rot in prison. Actually some deserve worse.

But this guy was acting in the performance of his duties and in good faith. Could he have screwed up? Yup, but it wasn't solely him. The owner of the dog bears fault as does the dispatcher. Should the department publicly apologize to the dog owner? Absolutely. Mistakes happen in the real world, just not on the Hide. </div></div>

This is my problem, you guys have a blank check to kill as long as you "perceive a threat" while a civillian who maybe mistakenly gets a no knock warrant at his door or is in a situation such as this would be getting life in prison or the chair if he tried to *rightfully* defend himself against a police officer who was an unjustified aggressor. Just my 2 cents and worth about as much.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: daybreak1199</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First thing I notice is the officer has tunnel vision and is complacent in his situational awareness. He pulls up directly in front of the address he is responding too, he get directly out of his car, no taking up a tactical position to listen – this is supposed to be a domestic call, stop for 10 seconds and listen, see what you can hear, prepare yourself for what awaits on the other side of the door. Do we respond to a domestic call without a backup? That depends, exigent circumstances, resources available to the officer on that department for that shift, but it is apparent through the video that backup was only a few seconds away. Would backup have prevented the dog from attacking? Hard to say, but having more than one person is just good common sense. I really get sick of hearing other officer talk about how they don’t get paid enough to get chewed on or spit at or hit, kicked, shot, shot at, pissed on, shit on, and the list goes on and on. I could understand this comment from a new officer, after a few years you are doing the job because it is a calling, it is a lifestyle. Law Enforcement should not be perceived as give and take career, it is a give only career. You are constantly giving more than you could ever be compensated for. This should not carry over into how you do your job. You should know that as a Police Officer you may be bitten by a dog while carrying out your duties, either figure out ways to deal with circumstances like this or turn in your badge and take up a desk job. (This goes back to having your backup Officer next to you, he or you could have used the other resources on your batman belt, ie tazer, peperspray, baton…all the while you wouldn’t worry about the threat of the human due to having a SECOND person there covering off on the human threat.) In my opinion if someone makes the argument that they need the same safe and respectable work environment as any other career then you really need to take a long hard look at what you expect from the job of a public servant sworn to protect the liberties, rights, and safety of the public. I served in the Marine Corps and the Army, If I heard or ever uttered bs about not getting paid enough to get shot at then I would rather quickly be told to GTFO and find a different MOS that would support the working environment I required to maintain a safe and comfortable existence. Just my .2 </div></div>

Not that any reasonable or relevant points here matter. The Hide jury has already reached it's verdict. </div></div>

Tunnel vision, he is focused directly on getting to the address the dispatcher gave him, he is nothing thinking about anything else - That is tunnel vision. Could be any number of situations you wouldn’t want to just role up into the middle of. I always park a few housed down from the reported location of the call, more often than not the first reported incident is the RP and not the actual location the crime or incident that is being reported. As far as situational awareness, that also is not present. He is responding to a domestic violence call, there are no indications that any exigent circumstances exist at this point. He is only endangering himself and possibly other by rushing into a call.
As far a job goes, you are right that being in Law Enforcement is a JOB, but the sacrifice, low pay, stress and danger all lead to one thing. You don’t take a Law Enforcement JOB for the pay or the benefits, you take the job because it is a calling, it is a lifestyle, and you are doing the JOB because you are making personal sacrifices and attempting to make a difference in your community. After reading many of your posts it is my opinion that you should seek life as a city garbage man, you could then have a job that you aren’t respected for or paid enough for yet, you are safe and secure. You’re are one of the 10% that is in ever Military unit or Police Department, you give hard working self-sacrificing Law Enforcement professionals a bad name. All you ever say is how no one can know how tuff you have it, how little you are compensated and how hard it is to do the “job”. You sir are a whiny little baby.

Sorry for the lack of paragraphs before, it was hard to write from a phone… Once again crying about stupid BS.

he created a web page for the dog
2 days; 22,000 likes.

we need 10k for SWFA.

just sayin.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: daybreak1199</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: daybreak1199</div><div class="ubbcode-body">First thing I notice is the officer has tunnel vision and is complacent in his situational awareness. He pulls up directly in front of the address he is responding too, he get directly out of his car, no taking up a tactical position to listen – this is supposed to be a domestic call, stop for 10 seconds and listen, see what you can hear, prepare yourself for what awaits on the other side of the door. Do we respond to a domestic call without a backup? That depends, exigent circumstances, resources available to the officer on that department for that shift, but it is apparent through the video that backup was only a few seconds away. Would backup have prevented the dog from attacking? Hard to say, but having more than one person is just good common sense. I really get sick of hearing other officer talk about how they don’t get paid enough to get chewed on or spit at or hit, kicked, shot, shot at, pissed on, shit on, and the list goes on and on. I could understand this comment from a new officer, after a few years you are doing the job because it is a calling, it is a lifestyle. Law Enforcement should not be perceived as give and take career, it is a give only career. You are constantly giving more than you could ever be compensated for. This should not carry over into how you do your job. You should know that as a Police Officer you may be bitten by a dog while carrying out your duties, either figure out ways to deal with circumstances like this or turn in your badge and take up a desk job. (This goes back to having your backup Officer next to you, he or you could have used the other resources on your batman belt, ie tazer, peperspray, baton…all the while you wouldn’t worry about the threat of the human due to having a SECOND person there covering off on the human threat.) In my opinion if someone makes the argument that they need the same safe and respectable work environment as any other career then you really need to take a long hard look at what you expect from the job of a public servant sworn to protect the liberties, rights, and safety of the public. I served in the Marine Corps and the Army, If I heard or ever uttered bs about not getting paid enough to get shot at then I would rather quickly be told to GTFO and find a different MOS that would support the working environment I required to maintain a safe and comfortable existence. Just my .2 </div></div>

Tunnel vision, he is focused directly on getting to the address the dispatcher gave him, he is nothing thinking about anything else - That is tunnel vision. Could be any number of situations you wouldn’t want to just role up into the middle of. I always park a few housed down from the reported location of the call, more often than not the first reported incident is the RP and not the actual location the crime or incident that is being reported. As far as situational awareness, that also is not present. He is responding to a domestic violence call, there are no indications that any exigent circumstances exist at this point. He is only endangering himself and possibly other by rushing into a call.
As far a job goes, you are right that being in Law Enforcement is a JOB, but the sacrifice, low pay, stress and danger all lead to one thing. You don’t take a Law Enforcement JOB for the pay or the benefits, you take the job because it is a calling, it is a lifestyle, and you are doing the JOB because you are making personal sacrifices and attempting to make a difference in your community. After reading many of your posts it is my opinion that you should seek life as a city garbage man, you could then have a job that you aren’t respected for or paid enough for yet, you are safe and secure. You’re are one of the 10% that is in ever Military unit or Police Department, you give hard working self-sacrificing Law Enforcement professionals a bad name. All you ever say is how no one can know how tuff you have it, how little you are compensated and how hard it is to do the “job”. You sir are a whiny little baby.

Sorry for the lack of paragraphs before, it was hard to write from a phone… Once again crying about stupid BS.
</div></div>

HAHAHA! You're a tool. You kinda sound like an episode of COPS when in the beginning of the show they're always saying how "they wanna make a difference" lol I did take the job for the pay, security and lucrative benefits. Don't get me wrong, I like to help people. The ones that really need it. But more often than not, we're just glorified baby sitters solving everyone else's petty problems. Either because they're too incapable of solving it themselves since we've become a dependent society or just plain unwilling to do it.

Never complained about compensation. What I was trying to convey was that they city doesn't pay me to be a punching bag, get mauled by dogs or stabbed in the head. Does it happen? Sure, but you can never pay me enough to subject myself to those things. It's like saying firemen sign on to get burned and electricians become electricians in hopes of getting electrocuted. It's a stupid and asinine statement. Kinda like the same thing liberals tell families of fallen soldiers "Well, they knew what they were signing up for, no one forced them to enlist".

For the record, proper representation of the English language through grammar and spelling isn't "stupid BS". It helps others to understand you better. Not that I'm an English major but its hard to read/understand long run on sentences and paragraphs that never end.

Just out of curiosity, how long you been on the job? Honestly!

So, a dog is "out of control" if it barks at an armed intruder on it's own property, and it's the owner's fault if while under gun point they aren't able to get control of the dog in the 1/2 second that went by before the officer shot the dog? Or is it only if it happens to be an officer, as if every dog should be able to notice and rationalize the difference? And yes, by definition the officer was an armed intruder...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, a dog is "out of control" if it barks at an armed intruder on it's own property, and it's the owner's fault if while under gun point they aren't able to get control of the dog in the 1/2 second that went by before the officer shot the dog? Or is it only if it happens to be an officer, as if every dog should be able to notice and rationalize the difference? And yes, by definition the officer was an armed intruder... </div></div>

I never claimed that the dog was "out of control". Like someone else mentioned already, the dog was doing what pretty much EVERY dog would do when a stranger approaches. Whether its to attack, confront, greet or play, a dog will just about always run up to a stranger. It's normal.

This is why, my dogs are not allowed in the front of the house. I have UPS, FedEX, the pool guy, pizza delivery man, mailman, oil guy, landscaper all coming to the front of the house and while my dogs are super people friendly, strangers don't know that. My dogs are pretty big. As a courtesy to them, I keep my dogs out back. Another reason I do this is, I don't want my dogs to see something they like (squirrels, rabbit, cats)and chase it out to the road only to be hit by a car. That would be pretty irresponsible of me as a dog owner but I see it happen all the time.

All I'm saying is that the owner bears some of the burden for allowing his dog to get loose. The fact that it was on his property has no merit because since the officer was sent there to investigate a call and was acting on good faith, the officer had a right to be there.

Its an unfortunate set of circumstances that led to this happening. Bad call on the dispatcher, a lackadaisical dog owner and a cop who seemingly is afraid of dogs.

There are many bad LEO's but a lot more good LEO's. The bad ones are the top reason there is a huge grassroots movement in courts to insure people do not get arrested for resisting arrest in wrongful actions against them. The people are sick and tired of the worst LEO's behaving like nothing more than thuggish bullies. They are indeed a blight upon the rep of many good men(who we all know to frequent this place) as well as others. As I said, I care less what you are wearing when you come to visit or ask anything on my property. You damn well better do it nice like, or suffer the consequences of your actions. As for Bulleit, he knows all kinds of cool tricks and is one very well trained, although heard headed, 65 pound bit of whoop ass. Pull a gun or aim it at him, and you may find your hand ravaged and bleeding with digits skinned to bone and muscle. He likes guns like he likes fireworks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are many bad LEO's but a lot more good LEO's. The bad ones are the top reason there is a huge grassroots movement in courts to insure people do not get arrested for resisting arrest in wrongful actions against them. The people are sick and tired of the worst LEO's behaving like nothing more than thuggish bullies. They are indeed a blight upon the rep of many good men(who we all know to frequent this place) as well as others. As I said, I care less what you are wearing when you come to visit or ask anything on my property. You damn well better do it nice like, or suffer the consequences of your actions. As for Bulleit, he knows all kinds of cool tricks and is one very well trained, although heard headed, 65 pound bit of whoop ass. Pull a gun or aim it at him, and you may find your hand ravaged and bleeding with digits skinned to bone and muscle. He likes guns like he likes fireworks </div></div>

Yea, we got your overt threats the first time.

I have a Shepherd and a Dobie, both of whom are well trained.

They are often all over the yard when I or my family are out with them. The back yard is entirely fenced and they spend time behind bars when necessary!

I have a problem with the shooting of this dog. At some point, is there a line we can draw about the certainty of a dog biting us? Or how much damage a dog biting us is going to cause?

This is not the first instance of such a tragic mistake. While I can certainly understand that a moronic / compassionate "New Rule" would only enable criminals to beef up their defenses with more aggressive dogs if they knew the police could not drill them, why can't there be a greater emphasis then on how to deal with these possibilities?

It has happened more than once: that means it is at minimum, negligent. That same frightened cop who might kill one or both of my dogs, in the event he/she were in fear of them, would no doubt arrest me in a nanosecond if he saw me abusing them.

I don't blame Police for feeling that there are lines to be drawn regarding how much injury they are going to endure in their duties but there is a "Cop-Out" component in placing the entire blame for this on the owner of the dog so long as the dog's disposition (on property where he belonged) was not in violation of the law.

Mine spend a good deal of time in the front yard, the driveway, the carport, the front porch, the backyard, and virtually 90% of the time, underfoot, inside the house.

I want to keep it that way. I also want people, cops included, to not be so damn terrified of every dog they surprise!

My Pop taught me a long time ago to attack the dog. It works on all but professionally trained, or particularly insane, dogs. If that doesn't back them down, then by all means...save yourself.

Everyone's dog is well trained up until the point that the dog does something it's owner never thought it would do. By that point, it's either too late for the dog, the cat/other dog or the person the dog bit.

They're animals and as much as I love mine, I can't truly without a shadow of a doubt predict what they're going to do at any given time.

Sometimes a little preventive maintenance goes a long way. That goes for ALL sides involved.

Goodnight.

<span style="color: #FF0000">This makes me imagine a janitor bitching about not being paid enough to clean up puke in the hallway- yeah, maybe you don't get paid enough for it, but it comes with the job... and if you don't like it, you should likely find a different profession where those hazards do not come with the territory.</span>

<span style="color: #FF0000">
In addition, I think it could be argued that tunnel vision IS complacency in a round about way. Yes, you are focused on one thing... but you are focused on that ONE thing to the detriment of EVERYTHING else. In other words, you are allowing yourself to be complacent in everything except for that one item you are focused on... thus tunnel vision.</span>

<span style="color: #FF0000">The fact that the officer went to the wrong address would appear to not be his fault, or the fault of the dispatcher as the reports say the call in gave the wrong address. There is NO fault on the home owner; there is ZERO requirement that a dog be on leash on private property. The audio tape CLEARLY shows the officer gave the man no time at all to take control of his dog. Don't try to lay this on the guy who is being held at gun point for ABSOLUTELY NO REASON and is given about 1.5 seconds to get ahold of his dog.</span>

Let me make some points of my own now after replying to some of yours.

The officer did not take time to build his situational awareness. Back-up was less than a minute away it would appear. If officer safety is important (and I believe it is), you shouldn't rush into something head first with no idea what you're rushing into. ALL of this could have been avoided with just a few seconds of observation and listening and a less hostile approach. Being a cop isn't about violence of action; the dog responded the way he did because of the actions of the cop... period.

After putting their attention back to the original call, the officers walked to the house fairly casually- no weapons drawn... There are two explanations to this- #1, the initial response of the one officer was far too heavy handed or head strong. #2, Upon moving attention back to the original call, the officers were by far too complacent in their approach. You simply cannot justify both.

As someone else said, back-up was right behind him... We can assume from the response of two patrol units with one officer each, no medical units... the call was not one in which there was a reasonable belief that someone's life is in danger or that there has been a felony crime committed. What does that mean? That means there is not the level of urgency requiring an officer to not be able to await one minute for his back-up. Had his back-up been there, it allows one person to deal with the dog and the other to keep watching the owner. Pepper spray usually does WONDERS on animals who are attacking... and it's very debatable that the dog was attacking anyway.

At the end of the day, one can say this is monday morning QB all they want, but that is exactly how abuses of power are prevented; unchecked power will always grow. It is judgement of an officers actions after an incident that keeps order. Everyone understand mistakes are made, but what some seem to fail to understand is that mistakes like this are not equal to a meter maid putting a ticket on the wrong vehicle; this is serious. A weapon was discharged, killing a living animal that was part of a man's family; the officer should have never been on the property in the first place- that may not be the officers fault, but the officer is still accountable for his actions. It is an officer's DUTY to determine CORRECTLY the level of force required to address the problem... AFTER determining there is actually a problem. The officer failed to make the first determination- that he was at the correct location and there was in-deed a problem; I did not hear one word from him that did not involve yelled commands until after the dog had been shot. This is not how you assess the situation; this is how you needlessly escalate a situation. This first failure directly lead to the second failure; determining the correct level of force to address a problem. Had he been more composed and professional in initiating contact with the individual, the dog very likely would not have felt his owner was being threatened. A barking dog that is not charging you does not require a bullet.

Some people will back up cops no matter what, some will rip on them no matter what. Slapchop, I'm sure you feel I am the later, despite having worked in LE... However, that is a very incorrect assumption. The odd story that comes up that shows LEO's doing the right thing I certainly support. Problem is, those don't get the attention- it's stories like these that get the attention.

The irony to this whole situation is, had the individual shot a K9 who was attacking him through an accident would have been shot dead and it would be called justified. Had this dog owner returned fire on the cop, he would be in jail awaiting a trial. The fact still remains that the officer was on private property without a FACTUAL reason, Brandishing a weapon on an innocent civilian and shot dead a dog who was defending his owner against an unjustified aggressor. This whole "shift the blame society" unfortunately, very much includes the LE community. It's "oh well I just went where I was told", "we were given the wrong address", "the report was incorrect"... None of that shit matters. It is STILL THE OFFICER'S DUTY TO DETERMINE HE IS AT THE CORRECT LOCATION AND THE REPORTED INCIDENT IS FACTUAL AND AT THE LOCATION HE IS GIVEN IS. It really does not get anymore basic than this- we see more and more reports of this first step being totally skipped then when shit goes bad the game of shift the blame starts.

I wasn't there so I can't judge! All we have is audio so that leaves more to guess on what was seen. If you work the hood there will be dogs everywhere. This looked like the hood. Dogs are expected.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, a dog is "out of control" if it barks at an armed intruder on it's own property, and it's the owner's fault if while under gun point they aren't able to get control of the dog in the 1/2 second that went by before the officer shot the dog? Or is it only if it happens to be an officer, as if every dog should be able to notice and rationalize the difference? And yes, by definition the officer was an armed intruder... </div></div>

I never claimed that the dog was "out of control". Like someone else mentioned already, the dog was doing what pretty much EVERY dog would do when a stranger approaches. Whether its to attack, confront, greet or play, a dog will just about always run up to a stranger. It's normal.

This is why, my dogs are not allowed in the front of the house. I have UPS, FedEX, the pool guy, pizza delivery man, mailman, oil guy, landscaper all coming to the front of the house and while my dogs are super people friendly, strangers don't know that. My dogs are pretty big. As a courtesy to them, I keep my dogs out back. Another reason I do this is, I don't want my dogs to see something they like (squirrels, rabbit, cats)and chase it out to the road only to be hit by a car. That would be pretty irresponsible of me as a dog owner but I see it happen all the time.

All I'm saying is that the owner bears some of the burden for allowing his dog to get loose. The fact that it was on his property has no merit because since the officer was sent there to investigate a call and was acting on good faith, the officer had a right to be there.

Its an unfortunate set of circumstances that led to this happening. Bad call on the dispatcher, a lackadaisical dog owner and a cop who seemingly is afraid of dogs. </div></div>

It baffles me how a cop charging up the driveway of a private residence unnanounced gun drawn equates to a lackadaisical dog owner in your mind. THIS is why I don't trust a lot of cops, imagine a normal citizen doing this and imagine what the legal consequences would be. Here this guy perhaps gets a slap on the wrist on goes on as if nothing ever happened, absolutely DISGUSTING the lack of any form of accountability. Once there is a system of checks in place that is actually effective, I will feel a whole lot better and I think we would see a lot fewer of these tragedies occuring.

GOD forbid that man had small children out in the yard playing with water guns or sticks, I could only imagine if one of the little guys ran out after the dog while holding a toy gun or something that "SCARED" the Officer.

If you are in the line of work- Military, Police, armed Security, then you need THINK a little before you act. overzealous combine with and lack of training leads to this type of knee jerk reaction.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Slapchop</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Broker</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So, a dog is "out of control" if it barks at an armed intruder on it's own property, and it's the owner's fault if while under gun point they aren't able to get control of the dog in the 1/2 second that went by before the officer shot the dog? Or is it only if it happens to be an officer, as if every dog should be able to notice and rationalize the difference? And yes, by definition the officer was an armed intruder... </div></div>

This is why, my dogs are not allowed in the front of the house. I have UPS, FedEX, the<span style="color: #FF0000"> pool guy</span>, pizza delivery man, mailman, oil guy, landscaper all coming to the front of the house and while my dogs are super people friendly, strangers don't know that. My dogs are pretty big. As a courtesy to them, I keep my dogs out back. Another reason I do this is, I don't want my dogs to see something they like (squirrels, rabbit, cats)and chase it out to the road only to be hit by a car. That would be pretty irresponsible of me as a dog owner but I see it happen all the time.

Its an unfortunate set of circumstances that led to this happening. Bad call on the dispatcher, a lackadaisical dog owner and a cop who seemingly is afraid of dogs. </div></div>

You must do extremely well if you own a house with a pool in NYC.