• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OFFICIAL .223/5.56 Hunting Thread

MK20

Major Member
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Apr 17, 2018
    The land of many waters
    Post your results of 223/556 hunting here for us to learn from.

Pics are appreciated.

Post....

Animal shot:

Area hit:

Distance:

Bullet used:

Muzzle velocity:

Weapon used:

Terminal effects observed:

Also, if you have a long history of using a certain bullet, please let us know how it is working for you.

NOTE to FUDDs:

This is not your thread. Do not preach to us about how anything less than your glorified "thuddy-thuddy" will fail to kill game ethically.
    The world has proved you are wrong. Go Karen somewhere else.

Animal shot:
    whitetail buck ~120 lbs

Area hit:
    front left shoulder quartering towards me

Distance:
    25m

Bullet used:
    64 gr Trophy Bonded Bear Claw

Muzzle velocity:
    Not recorded. Used FBI duty load contract overrun ammo.

Weapon used:
    BCM 16"

Terminal effects observed:
    Bullet entered shoulder, passed through shoulder blade, through rib, transited lungs and liver, through lower rib on opposite side and exited. Approx 2 ft of penetration. Expansion was controlled properly. Permanent channel of removed tissue was about .8 or .9. Surprisingly little bloodshot for how close he was.

Deer ran for 30 m. Died.

MK20,

That T3 load certainly has great terminal effect. I’ve been buying it for my department for years. I wish they could dial in the precision a bit and get it moa or better, but for LE engagement distances it does just fine.

I’ll watch this thread with interest, thanks for starting it.

There is a thread on rokslide specifically about hunting with the 77gr TMK that has certainly generated discussion.

Reactions: MK20 and 232593
    ^ That is quite the dumpster fire of a 93 page thread. Some useful information with good photos mixed in, but man are there a lot of crazy posts.

I got tired and went to page 93. First post guy is compressing a load in "mixed" brass.

^ That is quite the dumpster fire of a 93 page thread. Some useful information with good photos mixed in, but man are there a lot of crazy posts.

I got tired and went to page 93. First post guy is compressing a load in "mixed" brass.

Just fill em to the top and use a dowel to tamp em in so you can seat the bullet!!!

Whitetail buck

Bullet entered in front of right shoulder, exited behind left shoulder.

80ish yards

62 gr Barnes TSX (varget and CCI 400)

Muzzle velocity unrecorded.

AR-15

Deer stumbled about 20 yards and keeled over. We didn’t cut open the chest cavity to investigate the carnage.

2F3FC34A-BA69-42AF-ADB6-C70BC15EA283.jpeg

50/60 yds quartering away.
    55gr Hornady SP
    10.5" LMT Defender 2000
    Bullet entered behind right front shoulder, through the chest cavity and lodged in the left lower jaw. Pig dropped in his tracks and kicked for about 15 seconds.

View attachment 7944330
    What is your MV with that bullet barrel combination? Do you think the bullet was able to fragment?

Thank you

I have a touch of experience with the 5.56 and killing stuff.

1) 230lb boar. Factory 64gr Speer Gold Dot. FN DMR II w/18" barrel. Approximately 60 yards. No chrono data.
    - Hit the boar as it was quartering toward me. Bullet entered mid neck on the near side, crossing over to the opposite side and exited at the point of the shoulder. Total penetration was about 16". I did not hit the spine, but the animal dropped to the shot and kicked for about 20 seconds.
    FB_IMG_1658079759936.jpg

2) Approx. 250lb boar. Factory Mk 318 Mod 0. Daniel Defense DDM4V7 w/16" barrel. Approximately 110 yards. No chrono data.
    - Hit the boar just behind the front leg from a full broadside (traditional hunting placement). Boar ran into the trees, where I recovered it 12 hours later. It had made it 94 yards as a crow flies before dying in thick vegetation. No exit. The SKS was just a rifle I didn't mind tearing up in the brush looking for him.
    20181024_170354.jpg

3) Approx. 300+lb boar. Factory Mk 318 Mod 0. Daniel Defense DDM4V7 w/16" barrel. 85 yards. No chrono data.
    - Hit this boar mid neck as it was quartering away. Bullet exited the opposite side of the neck high, and went through the ear. Boar dropped and flopped. However, I shot it again in the rear as I was walking up because I was a bit worried about the lethality of the 5.56, and this dude was as tall as my mature bucks on camera. That bullet exited behind the front leg after more than 20" of penetration. The boar squealed at the second impact, letting me know it did not expire from the first.
    20181201_020853.jpg

4) 205lb boar (taped). Factory 64gr Speer Gold Dot. FN DMR II w/18" barrel. Approximately 80 yards. No chrono data.
    - Hit this guy as he was already running. First shot anchored him, but he needed three...yes THREE more shots to die from about 40 yards away as he was flopping quartering away from me when I was walking toward him. I really felt bad about this one, and wished I had a clear headshot. No shots exited. The first shot broke the spine mid-back.
    20200818_232836.jpg

5) Approx 145lb boar. Factory Mk 318 Mod 0. Daniel Defense DDM4V7 w/16" barrel. No chrono data
    - This was the second ever hog I killed. The first was one of the cleanest kills I've ever had, so I got overconfident way too early in my career. This guy was about 65 yards from me and through a fence. I tried to get cute and thread the shot through a gate. The bullet grazed the gate and struck this guy somewhere not lethal at all. He blasted through the fence and pulled up 20 yards from me...looking for a fight. His posture was that of a pit bull, and fortunately I was standing in the shadows since the moon was bright that night. I 5-tapped this dude as fast as I could pull the trigger. I think every shot hit, but I can't tell you where. He dropped and started flopping. This brought my confidence back to where it needed to be.
    20180929 Boar Island.jpg

6) * This was the reason why I started using a 6.8*. Approximately 190lb boar. Factory Mk 318 Mod 0. Daniel Defense DDM4V7 w/16" barrel.
    - First impact was at about 135 yards, final impacts were at about 25 yards. Initial shot was quartering away, which got him running from my 12 to 8 O'clock. I took four more shots, hitting him two more times. The third total impact had him change direction in his sprint now directly towards me. I quickly fired 6 more rounds, hitting him at least four times. By the time he slid to a stop 25 yards from me I had fired 11 total rounds and had 7 impacts. The last burst had broken both front shoulders, and I managed to slip one by and hit him in the dick. That was not the adrenaline rush I wanted.
    20181102 Boar Meadow-Triangle.jpg

7) Last ones. Approximately 60-70lbs. Factory 64gr Speer Gold Dot. FN DMR II w/18" barrel. No chrono data.
    - I caught these guys one morning and lit into them wearing just boots and skivvies. All four died of a single gunshot wound. The only pig that didn't have an exit was the one on the far right who took a Texas heart shot.
    20200623_Shoats Chimney.jpg

I've killed quite a few more hogs than this with the 5.56, and will attest that it is a very effective cartridge on an opening shot. Where it starts to fall very short though is when the adrenaline is already running and the animal isn't hit perfectly...especially if it is decent-sized. That's why I wanted to show some success stories as well as some failures.

Aside from the hogs, I've probably killed ~ 40 - 50 coyotes with the factory Speer Gold Dots and Mk 318 Mod 0. Those bullets are both fantastic medicine for 'yotes. I've also killed a half-dozen feral dogs that were in the 55-90lb range with these bullets and they have been very humane.

Last edited:
    In addition to hogs have killed a hand full of Rio Grande Turkeys
    Through the neck
    120-170 yards
    77gr SMK over H4895
    ~2700 fps
    Larue AR15 with 18” barrel
    One capitation, the rest were pass throughs

I shoot hogs in all sorts of vital areas to test out bullet efficacy. Behind the shoulder works too...but lung shot hogs can go a long damn ways before dying.

If going "for the shoulder" on an opening shot, I go high shoulder and try to get spine (see photo). Typically I shoot center neck on opening shots otherwise.
    Screenshot_20220829-183021_Photo Editor.jpg

I just had a pig get up and run off after a glancing blow right on the skull about a week ago. 6.5 Grendel using 120gr Speer Gold Dot.

My AR I built using a Colt M4 1-9", Bushmaster lower, old Armalite match trigger. My handloads Nosler 2nds 55 BT, TAC, Fed 205M, Federal brass. I had just built it so cheap Bushnell Scope Chief with the worst fisheye. 398 yard cold bore head shot. He was staring at me so it went in the left cheek and out the back of the head.

Attachments

• 11038156_947673621923578_3474355757873834306_o.jpg
      11038156_947673621923578_3474355757873834306_o.jpg
      263.4 KB · Views: 77
    Yote I got on the run 98 yards after he winded me while calling. Same Nosler 55 BT 2nd's load. hit him on the first shot and second one stopped him while he was spinning. Zeiss Conquest 1.75-6 duplex.

Attachments

• IMG_0116_1.JPG
      IMG_0116_1.JPG
      1.1 MB · Views: 53
    • IMG_0117.JPG
      IMG_0117.JPG
      977.6 KB · Views: 48
    These threads kill me. You will have some camps that say a .223 is great for deer, etc. Then you have the other camp that says you need at least a 25-06 to kill a coyote.

Mike

These threads kill me. You will have some camps that say a .223 is great for deer, etc. Then you have the other camp that says you need at least a 25-06 to kill a coyote.

Mike

This is not a debate thread.

Do not try to turn it into one.

It is ONLY a thread for posting real world experiences hunting with a 223.

If you want to have a FUDD fight, start your own thread in the Bear Pit.

Back to scheduled programming of hunting experiences....

Killed a lot of yotes a couple years ago. 12.5 pistol shooting 40s at 3200 mv. Javelina at closish range and it went nowhere but it wasn't a big one. Never went after bigger game but I would if it were legal.

Reactions: MK20
    This is not a debate thread.

Do not try to turn it into one.

It is ONLY a thread for posting real world experiences hunting with a 223.

If you want to have a FUDD fight, start your own thread in the Bear Pit.

Back to scheduled programming of hunting experiences....
    WOW, I didn't mean to piss in your cheerios.
    I am not trying to make this a debate thread, I've seen them go that way, (2 different camps).

Mike

Reactions: xsn10s and MK20
    Has anyone taken a coyote or any other game at 4-500 meters with a 77 grain TMK? If so how did the bullet perform?
    I haven't the 77 SMK but have used various BTHP Match or varmint bullets for awhile. The general consensus is to make sure of impact speed above 1800 fps and clear the tips for reliable terminal performance. I clear the tips but don't enlarge them as per Broz at LRO, other do. If I were to use 77 SMK I'd look at the batch and find one tip that was clear and open. Then open the rest to that diameter. My guess would be around 0.02X". I'm planning on using a polymer tip like a 73 ELDM at mag length or 75 ELDM with modified stainless steel mags. Whichever shoots better. The polymer tips seem to allow for expansion in the ELDM down to 1400-1500 fps depending who you talk to.

Reactions: 232593
    My son shot his first 24 deer from 6-11 years old with a .223. Barnes 53g bullets. Ranges from 40-180yds. Size from little does and cow horns to a 143" 10 point. All shot in the shoulder, longest track about 75 yards. Most fell over in 5-10 steps.
    And good on ya for starting him off right. Sounds like you taught him marksmanship and where to place the bullet.

I could post 93 pages of just my 5.56 77 grain SMK KILLS.
    Long to short is Ramshot TAC, 18” barrel. It works much better than 16” for some reason.

Youth hunter shot them in off shoulder. Seeing exit wounds. I do a gutless meat removal so no issues at all. It does show the penetration of the 77 SMK. Shots were 150 and 290 meters.

Just busted a day walker hog below the house an hour ago.

Approx. 175lb sow. 64gr Factory Speer Gold Dot. FN DMR II w/18" barrel. Approximately 80 yards. No chrono data.

Most of the hog was concealed by tall grass, so I had to take a body shot. Bullet entered just behind the front leg, broke at least one rib, and traversed the body taking out the lungs, and exited through the scapula on the other side. Total penetration was about 11" even after breaking through several bones.

Not a lot of external blood loss, so I'm assuming it filled up the chest cavity.

She ran about 35 yards.

20220830_184158.jpg

Evidence of lung damage.
    20220830_184210.jpg

Just busted a day walker hog below the house an hour ago.

Approx. 175lb sow. 64gr Factory Speer Gold Dot. FN DMR II w/18" barrel. Approximately 80 yards. No chrono data.

Most of the hog was concealed by tall grass, so I had to take a body shot. Bullet entered just behind the front leg, broke at least one rib, and traversed the body taking out the lungs, and exited through the scapula on the other side. Total penetration was about 11" even after breaking through several bones.

Not a lot of external blood loss, so I'm assuming it filled up the chest cavity.

She ran about 35 yards.

View attachment 7945580

Evidence of lung damage.
    View attachment 7945581
    Do you at least cut the backstraps out to fry up? You kill a lot of pigs so I’m figuring you drag most of them off.

I make all my sausage using straight wild pork, but those backstraps and tenderloins get tenderized and fried.

How was the penetration/terminal effect? I mean it obviously worked, lol, but I am curious what that bullet does at that distance.
    It works from muzzle to 600 meters exactly as the .308 did. Zero difference. 40 years of hunting, guiding and deer culling 20 years with .308, 20 with 5.56.
    All my hunters use my rifle.
    The 18” barrel made a big difference over 16” and 11.5” is for some reason very poor.

Reactions: xsn10s and MK20
    It works from muzzle to 600 meters exactly as the .308 did. Zero difference. 40 years of hunting, guiding and deer culling 20 years with .308, 20 with 5.56.
    All my hunters use my rifle.
    The 18” barrel made a big difference over 16” and 11.5” is for some reason very poor.

For shorties a cannelure and a fast twist really helps.