• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Official Hog Hunting Thread

Rerun7

Furious George
Minuteman
  • Feb 18, 2017
    Fayetteville, Arkansas
    There are random discussions about hog hunting but no official thread so I propose we start one.

This can be the place to post your kills, questions, advice, gear, etc.

I’ll kick it off with a few shots from kills over the past couple months. We don’t have huge populations of them here but enough to keep it interesting.

I always put the rifle in there for scale, that last one was a big fella!

B03E3131-51C4-4C01-B077-1350F28BA02B.jpeg
    670DEF81-D685-4C24-8281-2AC775CED871.jpeg
    C64C4C22-32F0-4EC1-BA35-EC708349BB64.jpeg
    D9FD8BC4-352A-43C6-89DC-9C24E5F824CB.jpeg
    309F2995-483A-41B6-9175-CAAE250087AE.jpeg

My dads first boat kill one killed while deer hunting and That last one was shot with a 16” rem 700 223. At about 120 yards. I was holding forehead and yanked it a little and the bullet went right under his left shoulder. And he made it into the brush.

I then proceeded on my hands and knees at dark With the boar freaking out every noise I made. with a 1911 and a headlamp until I saw fur and emptied the gun. One of the most nerving hunting experiences I have had besides browns in AK

Attachments

• 1D3E58CF-E79C-4AE2-9DFF-B8761AFCE50C.jpeg
      1D3E58CF-E79C-4AE2-9DFF-B8761AFCE50C.jpeg
      311.8 KB · Views: 145
    • 8418F97F-ECAA-4CA1-8160-8D079957B76C.jpeg
      8418F97F-ECAA-4CA1-8160-8D079957B76C.jpeg
      596.4 KB · Views: 152
    • 2C15A924-92B6-4635-A56E-2B5BE2E5F8F6.jpeg
      2C15A924-92B6-4635-A56E-2B5BE2E5F8F6.jpeg
      542.1 KB · Views: 138
    I had a setup that looked very similar to yours when I started eradicating out here. My initial bullet of choice was the Mk 318 Mod 0, Here's the largest one I shot with that setup:
    View attachment 8018727

Nice, my setup isn’t super fancy but it’s effective. Most of my shots are within 100 yards but I do have some places I could stretch out quite a bit further.

What are you using now? I’ve been thinking of going to a 640 unit with a lrf because I have quite a few coyotes out there too.

Reactions: diggler1833
    Nice, my setup isn’t super fancy but it’s effective. Most of my shots are within 100 yards but I do have some places I could stretch out quite a bit further.

What are you using now? I’ve been thinking of going to a 640 unit with a lrf because I have quite a few coyotes out there too.

I run a Pulsar Thermion XP50 now. It gets swapped between a .308, 6.8, and 6.5 Grendel. I like to see how various bullets work on hogs...so I make shitty results videos and stick them up in the NV and Thermal Kills thread.

640 is worth the cost if you do this more than a few times per year.

.so I make shitty results videos and stick them up in the NV and Thermal Kills thread.
    I don't think they are that shitty. I nerd out on the bullet stuff too because hogs are great media to test out your stuff. I only go about once a year, but we usually get quite a few in about a week. Great way to spend a week and get out of the cold up here. My gear:

Pulsar XG50
    NVision xrf
    Pulsar Axion LRF Scanner
    DD .308 Factory
    DD .556 Factory
    DiamondBack 6.5 Too much shit to list on it to make it like my DDs

I really want to get a permanent NV setup and a helmet mount scanner (even though I dread looking like some wannabe tactical dude). I have used all sort of different bullets, but so far have had really good results with just a good ol 140 or 150 grain soft point bullet. I have also tested all sorts of different high BC bullets that I use up here with good results as well.

Reactions: diggler1833
    If anyone is in NC and wants to invite a fellow Hider down to kill some hogs I’m your guy!

Reactions: 338dude
    Instead of SHOT this year, our group is headed to way SW Georgia near Donalsonville to hunt hogs on a friends peanut farm.

We all hunt and shoot a lot, but never been hog hunting
    We are taking mostly ARs in 5.56, some thermals (Trijicon REAP IR 60mm, SIG E3 2-12), and some NV (PVS30, Knights SR, BNVD ).

Just not sure what to expect. Hunt late at night ? Earlier in the evening ? Typical ranges ? Tripods ? Do they spook easily ?

I dont see it as particularly challenging, but more an opportunity to get some experience with all our cool stuff.

I'll be watching for any advice ya may have, and appreciate it in advance

Instead of SHOT this year, our group is headed to way SW Georgia near Donalsonville to hunt hogs on a friends peanut farm.

We are taking mostly ARs in 5.56, some thermals (Trijicon REAP IR 60mm, SIG E3 2-12), and some NV (PVS30, Knights SR, BNVD ).

Just not sure what to expect. Hunt late at night ? Earlier in the evening ? Typical ranges ? Tripods ? Do they spook easily ?

I dont see it as particularly challenging, but more an opportunity to get some experience with all our cool stuff.

Ask what they’re seeing on their cameras. They can come in all hour’s including early morning, 6-10 AM

Reactions: hseII

It all depends on where you are going to hunt but if you can get some game cam info that will help. I see them at all different hours. If you are on a bigger piece of property I’ve always had more luck staying on the move and continuously checking / rechecking different spots.

At night you can quietly walk right up within 30-40yds as long as you stay down wind. I’ve gotten closer but had them run within a few feet of me during the chaos of shooting at a large sounder.

Having a tripod or some type of standing shooting sticks is ideal. Makes it way easier. Have your friend dig a couple bait holes a few days before you go and that helps too.

Last edited:
    Reactions: 338dude and hseII
    I have been hunting feral hog on public land with my M4 A3 in 5.56 using varmint rounds. No hogs, then. A bit too much rain.

Reactions: Hecouldgoalltheway
    Hunt late at night ? Earlier in the evening ? Typical ranges ? Tripods ? Do they spook easily ?
    From my experiences....
    I start hunting about an hour after sunset
    Typical range at night 35-55 yards
    Tripods. Yes. For hogs, I just use my Feisol with the bog pod deathgrip. Coyotes up north, Anvil 30
    If you get the wind right, you can get pretty close to hogs at night. Really close actually.

In Sherman, Texas, there is a barbecue restaurant called Cackle and Oink. For a while, they were inviting feral hog hunters to bring their harvest. Barbecued and smoked feral hog can be quite good. My friend, John, and his cousin got a feral hog one time and John gave it to me to cook. I smoked it with mesquite logs for 12 hours. Awesome if I do say so my damn self.

In Sherman, Texas, there is a barbecue restaurant called Cackle and Oink. For a while, they were inviting feral hog hunters to bring their harvest. Barbecued and smoked feral hog can be quite good. My friend, John, and his cousin got a feral hog one time and John gave it to me to cook. I smoked it with mesquite logs for 12 hours. Awesome if I do say so my damn self.
    One of the best damn meats I've ever eaten is a well smokes hind quarter from wild pig. Coming from Texas and farming/ranching we've dealt with a many a pig and my family has been cooking hog my entire life. A quarte well rubbed and wrapped in a couple layers of commercial grade al foil with one of those big cans of grapefruit juice pourd in that wrap and smoked for eight hours plus..... Thick pink smoke ring and the meat peals like string cheese..

I've eaten every size from cat size to cow. The best for eating is 60 to 80 on the low end and no more that 150 on the high end. Feed the rest to the carrion birds and bugs.

Fudruckers in El Paso used to offer wild boar during certain times of the year. I grew up in Arkansas eating razorback meat, tasty stuff if done right for sure. I have a few pounds of wild boar sausage in the freezer at the moment as well.

One of the best damn meats I've ever eaten is a well smokes hind quarter from wild pig. Coming from Texas and farming/ranching we've dealt with a many a pig and my family has been cooking hog my entire life. A quarte well rubbed and wrapped in a couple layers of commercial grade al foil with one of those big cans of grapefruit juice pourd in that wrap and smoked for eight hours plus..... Thick pink smoke ring and the meat peals like string cheese..

I've eaten every size from cat size to cow. The best for eating is 60 to 80 on the low end and no more that 150 on the high end. Feed the rest to the carrion birds and bugs.
    I just ate and now I am hungry again from that description.

Always heard of those monster 400+ lb hogs, but never have seen one. Sitting on stand last night, heard something running before seeing it. Got the rifle up and saw a huge blob of black moving between trees. Thinking is was a bear, I put the rifle down and grabbed the binos. Focused on the overgrown road where it looked like it was going and HOLY SHIT.... biggest hog I've even seen. Usually their backs are below the top of the grass (about 3' tall). This one was clearly above the grass. Best guess is the top of it's back between 3'-4' off the ground.

Never could get a shot. And immediately questioned my cartridge selection.

Always heard of those monster 400+ lb hogs, but never have seen one. Sitting on stand last night, heard something running before seeing it. Got the rifle up and saw a huge blob of black moving between trees. Thinking is was a bear, I put the rifle down and grabbed the binos. Focused on the overgrown road where it looked like it was going and HOLY SHIT.... biggest hog I've even seen. Usually their backs are below the top of the grass (about 3' tall). This one was clearly above the grass. Best guess is the top of it's back between 3'-4' off the ground.

Never could get a shot. And immediately questioned my cartridge selection.

I've killed several that were as tall or taller than mature bucks on camera. It'll always have you second guessing that you brought enough rifle. Fortunately, a good CNS shot has the same effect, whether they're 30 or 300+ pounds. The skull in my avatar was off a 380 pound hoss. A single 6.8/120 SST dropped him in place...but I shot him twice more for good measure 😄.

Hopefully that big'un gives you another crack at him. Good luck.

I keep thinking about upping caliber from 5.56 but I also hunt shoot coyotes with the same rig so I like having a flatter trajectory for longer shots.

Singles aren’t an issue but hitting them running it can take a few rounds. I need to experiment with some different loads. Been using a 77gr open tip.

I keep thinking about upping caliber from 5.56 but I also hunt shoot coyotes with the same rig so I like having a flatter trajectory for longer shots.

Singles aren’t an issue but hitting them running it can take a few rounds. I need to experiment with some different loads. Been using a 77gr open tip.

With a good bullet, I recover about 90% of the hogs I know I hit in the 6.5G, 6.8, and .308. Probably closer to 95% with the .308.

With the 5.56 it was down to about 75%

The biggest factor in me moving up however was that I had two boars come back at me when I failed to connect properly on the first shot with a 5.56. Both died, but when they come within 20 yards and you're doing a mag dump at that point it'll get that adrenaline going.

With a good bullet, I recover about 90% of the hogs I know I hit in the 6.5G, 6.8, and .308. Probably closer to 95% with the .308.

With the 5.56 it was down to about 75%

The biggest factor in me moving up however was that I had two boars come back at me when I failed to connect properly on the first shot with a 5.56. Both died, but when they come within 20 yards and you're doing a mag dump at that point it'll get that adrenaline going.

Haha, yeah. I was out a few weeks ago and had a big boar down but not dead, just didn’t get the best shot initially but hit it a couple times. Tracked him with a heavy blood trail through stuff you couldn’t see more than a couple feet into with my headlamp.

Came to a trail and found him laying down about 7ish yards from me. He was angled away and still very much alive. I couldn’t get a shot at his head and when I put one round in him he got up and started back my way. I promptly put 5 more in him as fast as I could unload and he made it about one step.

That’s the first one I’ve ever had start trying to make its way at me on purpose.

On YouTube is a channel called LunkersTV. The host is former Army sniper Robert Terkla. He has been on a few rides for hog hunting. I could swear that one was near the Texoma region between Texas and Oklahoma. The most recent one was in south Texas. You fly in a chopper, rent their guns and some ammo. For the sound track of the event, he even got "Fortunate Son" by CCR.

go to time stamp 03:50 to get close to the action.

.300 B/O for the win.

300 B/O for the win.
    I love using the 300BO on hogs. Works great and still working on a subsonic load that kills effectively. Most of my shots are 50 to 100 yards and where I hunt, you‘re shooting in holes in SE timber so you usually get one shot maybe two before they disappear. I worked with 350 Legend for a bit but was losing hogs more than I do with the 300BO. Not sure why but once I switched to 300BO, one shot kill percentage went way up.

Reactions: Ronws
    I love using the 300BO on hogs. Works great and still working on a subsonic load that kills effectively. Most of my shots are 50 to 100 yards and where I hunt, you‘re shooting in holes in SE timber so you usually get one shot maybe two before they disappear. I worked with 350 Legend for a bit but was losing hogs more than I do with the 300BO. Not sure why but once I switched to 300BO, one shot kill percentage went way up.
    I also hunt through gaps in the woods. For deer, I have my .308 W. For feral hog, I have used my Windham Weaponry Dissipator M4 A3 (5.56 x 45 mm NATO) with varmint rounds. Usually, I just get a bunch of rain instead of a hog. And I am on public hunting land.

This was a nice triple, 190#, 150, and a little 70# on the buggy.
    One time, my old friend, John (RIP) hunted deer and hogs on his aunt's property in Oklahoma, where he had a lifetime hunting license. He dressed and skinned it and brought it to me. I was and still am pretty damn handy with my charcoal grill. So, I rubbed it with some pork rub, had to break the carcass in half to make it fit. Smoked it with mesquite logs for about 12 hours.

Tasted like heaven. Similar process to how I smoke brisket.

I use Spice Hunter no salt Cowboy BBQ Rub and let it sit overnight. Then put on the fire and smoke, with an aluminum pan of water in the main chamber. Good enough to tempt the faith of a vegan.

In fact, I ticked off a vegan one time with that boast. He said being vegan was not a faith. I said, yes, it is. What about any animal or even man, predisposes being vegan? In evolution, survival of the fittest is a misnomer. It does not mean evolution drives a species to get better. It is just dumb and blind luck.

And if eschewing God, he may think he is without faith. But just about every person who becomes vegan is not because of a meat allergy. It is from a belief that the animal has a soul. Ergo, faith.

Got out last night after terrible weather. Coyotes were a no show but did come across this sow. Noticed she is also missing an ear. Looks like it was ripped off at some point as there was no hair and just the ear canal.

DD6956DB-7988-4FB5-B686-527F8EB11A4E.jpeg

Last edited:
    A few we got recently with dog and knife. Some nice hogs you guys got, we try to get all the meat we can. We make a lot of different dishes and food using the pork we catch.

Thanks for sharing

Attachments

• 20230204_183027.jpg
      20230204_183027.jpg
      426.8 KB · Views: 39
    • 20230204_183019.jpg
      20230204_183019.jpg
      199.7 KB · Views: 33
    • 20230428_073320.jpg
      20230428_073320.jpg
      723.2 KB · Views: 40
    • 20230522_105422.jpg
      20230522_105422.jpg
      379.2 KB · Views: 34
    • 20230522_091303.jpg
      20230522_091303.jpg
      828.4 KB · Views: 40
    Here's some hawaiian style "smoke meat" lol. When the hogs are fat and we are fortunate enough to catch a few. We marinate strips of pork in our home made marinade for a cpl days. Then smoke them til they're nice and caramelized.

Happy Hog Hunting

Attachments

• 20221005_120958.jpg
      20221005_120958.jpg
      636.2 KB · Views: 49
    • 20221007_101835.jpg
      20221007_101835.jpg
      465 KB · Views: 47
    • 20221007_102347.jpg
      20221007_102347.jpg
      634.5 KB · Views: 44
    A few we got recently with dog and knife. Some nice hogs you guys got, we try to get all the meat we can. We make a lot of different dishes and food using the pork we catch.

Thanks for sharing
    You jump those hogs with a knife? 😲

You jump those hogs with a knife? 😲
    Aloha Baron
    Yeah we do! It's tradition here. It can get sketchy at times especially with bad boars. I've had my thumb cut off by a boar. Luckily, I was able to get help in time to save it. I feel it's the least we can do for our dogs who put their life on the line every time we go out. I've lost many dogs to boars over the years. They give their all for me, so I feel it's only right to do the same. I owe them that much

Aloha

Aloha Baron
    Yeah we do! It's tradition here. It can get sketchy at times especially with bad boars. I've had my thumb cut off by a boar. Luckily, I was able to get help in time to save it. I feel it's the least we can do for our dogs who put their life on the line every time we go out. I've lost many dogs to boars over the years. They give their all for me, so I feel it's only right to do the same. I owe them that much

Aloha
    Aloha!

Wow, you guys are some tough motherfuckers.

I did see on a Deadliest Catch spin-off that Jonathan Hilstrand went out with some Hawaiians for hogs....used an AR if I remember correctly and came back with all their digits!

Seriously, that's some seriously tough mofo shit, right there.

Best to you and yours.

Reactions: Ezana4CE
    Aloha!

Wow, you guys are some tough motherfuckers.

I did see on a Deadliest Catch spin-off that Jonathan Hilstrand went out with some Hawaiians for hogs....used an AR if I remember correctly and came back with all their digits!

Seriously, that's some seriously tough mofo shit, right there.

Best to you and yours.
    The dogs are the tough mofo's lol we're just the help.

Yeah I think I seen that episode as well they were on the big island. They have big hogs there.

It's an adrenaline rush for sure especially when it's a big boar. The battle can get intense lol

Best to you and yours as well brother!

Aloha!

Congrats to you! Beautiful country on that side of the island. Haven't been there in a while. I need to get back out there for some sheep hunting.

Aloha
    Thanks man
    Yeah I wish I had more time to chase sheep, definitely cool country.
    Any favorite pig recipes? This one's going on the grill tonight

Congrats to you! Beautiful country on that side of the island. Haven't been there in a while. I need to get back out there for some sheep hunting.

Aloha

which island are you hunting? Any guides you recommend for another tourist?

Thanks

Great shooting

Did you bring your weapon with you,
    What caliber, rounds, etc did you use?

Aloha,
    I've been researching hunting wild cattle, but there is so much conflicting information on the net. My last information shows them now as protected.
    Axis, black tail deer, feral goats, and of course hogs, are all something I would consider.
    The trouble being so far away is getting accurate information on where to go and who to trust.
    Thanks