• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official MDT 6BR Magazine Thread

MDT_Josh

Product Design
Minuteman
  • Apr 19, 2018
    Chilliwack, BC
    mdttac.com
    Hey Everyone, @MDT_Josh here with @MDT_OFFICIAL to talk about our newly released MDT Metal 6BR 12 round magazines! We've mentioned these magazines in a handful of other threads and answered some questions, but I'd like to group all of them into one here. We're really excited to see the support for them already and are happy to be able to support those of you running the BR variants in repeater actions.

For previous discussions, comments and questions see here and here as well as some others.

I have tried to answer a lot of your questions in the descriptions of the magazines as I will post below, but we will also be doing some videos on the mags soon. Let us know what you guys and gals think, what you want to know and how we can help you out!

- Josh

Magazine Description from Website:

"MDT AICS-pattern metal magazines are manufactured from high strength steel, nitride-finished and coated with Cerakote Elite for ultimate durability and performance.

The 6mm BR magazine is offered for the 6mm BR and family of cartridges, and are available in 12 round capacity.

These magazines are designed with a unique Double Stack to Single Feed (DSSF) transition design for reduced overall height compared to the industry standard.

12-Round Magazines for 6mm:

• 3.055” Outside Length
    • 2.570” max cartridge overall length (COAL) with binder plate and spacer
    • 4.61” Rear Height
    All of our magazines include 2 internal ribs that help reduce friction between the cartridge and magazine body and provide a smooth transition from a double stack to single feed at the top of the magazine.

6MM CALIBER MAG
    From testing, we have established that these magazines will work with the following calibers:

• 6mm BR Norma
    • 6mm BRA
    • 6mm BRX
    • 6 mm Dasher
    • 22 BR
    MDT 6BR Metal Mag

Additionally, through testing, we have found that these magazines ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH the following actions:

• Curtis Custom's Axiom and Vector
    • GAP Tempest
    • Ultimatum Deadline
    • and most other commonly available, aftermarket 3-lug actions"

Ordered 2 to run with my 6 Comet. Will report back once I have a chance to put them through their paces on the Impact. Hopefully I’ll have some AICS to sell in a few weeks.

Reactions: MDT_Josh
    @MDT_Josh , Hello: I have a John Hancock PVA rifle in 6BR on order. Have you had a chance to test it on that one?

Hey @Bertoli888 , we haven't tested it in a John Hancock fully built rifle, however we have tested it in the ARC Nucleus actions, which is what the PVA John Hancock uses :) The ARC Nucleus is a standard diameter 3-lug bolt, meaning that the magazine is able to sit up high enough in the action to function reliably, unlike some of the other aftermarket, 3-lug actions we have tested with.

Any tests with these to adjust and run .223 yet? I may have to just order and try it. But they look promising

Any tests with these to adjust and run .223 yet? I may have to just order and try it. But they look promising

These magazines are still designed to be used with cases that have similar body diameters to .308/6.5CM and therefore, are a little too wide to be used with 223/5.56. The internals and feedlips are just too big for the little cases :(

Reactions: Tunnuh
    Hey @Bertoli888 , we haven't tested it in a John Hancock fully built rifle, however we have tested it in the ARC Nucleus actions, which is what the PVA John Hancock uses :) The ARC Nucleus is a standard diameter 3-lug bolt, meaning that the magazine is able to sit up high enough in the action to function reliably, unlike some of the other aftermarket, 3-lug actions we have tested with.

That’s good news for me.

Will have to set up shop in the PX waiting for some regular 10 rd MDTs to show up. Very cool for the BR guys.

Last edited:
    Just ordered one. Looking forward to running it in my TL3 Dasher at the Big Dog Steel match in a couple weeks.

Reactions: Mallison
    I ordered mine last week. Just hoping it shows up in time for Border Wars next weekend.

Wait, so they're out of stock when I ordered yesterday? Site didn't say that.

I’m going to order 1 today, that way when I go to big dog I’ll have 3 mag options, hoping I only need 1 option lol

Well damn, i asked you social media guy this question and was told the Nuke wasnt tested, but odds are it wouldnt work, so I didnt order.

Not compatible with the axiom.

Any idea why? Something I could fit? I have a 6bra and was looking forward to trying one.

Not compatible with the axiom.

Any idea why? Something I could fit? I have a 6bra and was looking forward to trying one.

Between the orientation of the lugs (how they interface with the single stack vs the double stack) and how far in the magazine sits into the action, there just isn't enough purchase. That's my understanding anyway...

Reactions: regnar375
    Between the orientation of the lugs (how they interface with the single stack vs the double stack) and how far in the magazine sits into the action, there just isn't enough purchase. That's my understanding anyway...
    That is the exlanation, but what doesn't make sense is there are plenty examples of guys running aics pattern mags with a dasher kit with no issue on those supposed incompatible actions

Just ordered 2. Don't have a small shank to use with my origin. But might move a savage dual port PTA with palma stock and do a new build so I can run BRs out of a mag.

I've been running these mags with my defiance devaint and a 6 dasher for a couple months now and they run great!

Reactions: Mallison
    Hey @MDT_Josh and @MDT_OFFICIAL - Slightly off topic, but have you guys ever considered making an AW-pattern magazine (double stack/double feed) that either holds 12+ from the box, or is set up to allow for magazine extensions? The welded bottom of the AIAW mags makes it quite difficult (but not impossible) to extend them, and an aftermarket option that allowed for greater capacity would be freakin' AWESOME.

I know, I wanted the longer OAL with some modification, but I think their mags should work with what I want to do.

Fair enough, but I'm loading some pretty LONG handloads in 223 (well north of 2.4") and they fit in the polymer MDT 223 mags with room to spare. If you're trying to load something in the 88-90+gr range, though, I can see why you might need something longer.

Reactions: Tunnuh
    Fair enough, but I'm loading some pretty LONG handloads in 223 (well north of 2.4") and they fit in the polymer MDT 223 mags with room to spare. If you're trying to load something in the 88-90+gr range, though, I can see why you might need something longer.

That's what I wanted to do, but I may be able to file the 223 polymer and get them to fit, not sure. If not, then 80 will be it.

Hey @MDT_Josh and @MDT_OFFICIAL - Slightly off topic, but have you guys ever considered making an AW-pattern magazine (double stack/double feed) that either holds 12+ from the box, or is set up to allow for magazine extensions? The welded bottom of the AIAW mags makes it quite difficult (but not impossible) to extend them, and an aftermarket option that allowed for greater capacity would be freakin' AWESOME.

Yes, we have considered it and that may happen sometime in the future.

It's something we've considered for sure! Make sure you are signed up for our newsletter to be kept up to date with all future product launches!

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm
    It's something we've considered for sure! Make sure you are signed up for our newsletter to be kept up to date with all future product launches!

Glad to hear it. For those of us running 3-lug actions with fat bolts, having an option for 12+ rounds in a magazine would be awesome for PRS matches.

Reactions: MDT_OFFICIAL
    These look great. Has there been any testing with the Tikka T3 action? It's a 3-lug but not aftermarket...

@MDT_Josh

Little off topic but based on the amount of involvement with your customers (this thread and others) I ordered a ACC chassis.

These look great. Has there been any testing with the Tikka T3 action? It's a 3-lug but not aftermarket...

There has been no testing on our part with a Tikka T3x just yet with this magazine, but I see no reason why it wouldn't work. The T3 and T3x are a standard 2-lug, push feed action :)

Reactions: Eric_F
    @MDT_Josh

Little off topic but based on the amount of involvement with your customers (this thread and others) I ordered a ACC chassis.

That's awesome and I am sure that @MDT_OFFICIAL will be happy to hear :) If you ever have any questions, comments or concerns with the chassis or other products, we're here pretty much 24/7 for support.

Reactions: regnar375

Josh beat me to it, all Tikka T3 and T3x are 2 lug. I am using the 12 round MDT mags with the Primal Rights kits in a 22BR Tikka and they work great. They hold 13 no problem.

Hey Everyone, @MDT_Josh here with @MDT_OFFICIAL to talk about our newly released MDT Metal 6BR 12 round magazines! We've mentioned these magazines in a handful of other threads and answered some questions, but I'd like to group all of them into one here. We're really excited to see the support for them already and are happy to be able to support those of you running the BR variants in repeater actions.

For previous discussions, comments and questions see here and here as well as some others.

I have tried to answer a lot of your questions in the descriptions of the magazines as I will post below, but we will also be doing some videos on the mags soon. Let us know what you guys and gals think, what you want to know and how we can help you out!

- Josh

Magazine Description from Website:

"MDT AICS-pattern metal magazines are manufactured from high strength steel, nitride-finished and coated with Cerakote Elite for ultimate durability and performance.

The 6mm BR magazine is offered for the 6mm BR and family of cartridges, and are available in 12 round capacity.

These magazines are designed with a unique Double Stack to Single Feed (DSSF) transition design for reduced overall height compared to the industry standard.

12-Round Magazines for 6mm:

• 3.055” Outside Length
    • 2.570” max cartridge overall length (COAL) with binder plate and spacer
    • 4.61” Rear Height
    All of our magazines include 2 internal ribs that help reduce friction between the cartridge and magazine body and provide a smooth transition from a double stack to single feed at the top of the magazine.

6MM CALIBER MAG
    From testing, we have established that these magazines will work with the following calibers:

• 6mm BR Norma
    • 6mm BRA
    • 6mm BRX
    • 6 mm Dasher
    • 22 BR
    MDT 6BR Metal Mag

Additionally, through testing, we have found that these magazines ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH the following actions:

• Curtis Custom's Axiom and Vector
    • GAP Tempest
    • Ultimatum Deadline
    • and most other commonly available, aftermarket 3-lug actions"
    Anyone using MDT mags, and a Defiance action for 6 dasher successfully ?

I had trouble in my last match with rounds nose diving in two of my magazines. The last 3-4 would be nose down in the MDT mag. Has anyone experienced that? Any tips? I am thinking feed lip adjustment perhaps...

Reactions: 702lineman