• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Official Smoker Thread

MinorDamage

Google-Fu Master
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2006
Edgewater, MD
Reactions: Ravenworks
Re: Official Smoker Thread

Old one!

2007 Bring on Summer cuz WE AIN'T DEPLOYED PArty
bbqribz.png

I like my basic rub for everything and use my favorite sauce or make my own. The sauce on these ribs was some 'hooked up' KC stuff that everyone liked. Beer and Ribs, can't go wrong!

Re: Official Smoker Thread

No pics on this last one...I placed a 6 pound brisket in the smoker this morning.

4 hours at 250, foiled, 2 more hours at 250. Sprayed with Apple Juice every 30 minutes. Let rest for 20 minutes and served. Crazy good bark and it was tough to get it to stay together on a fork.

Josh

I'm bringing this thread back from the dead so I dont have to start a new one.
A few years ago, I had a chance to visit Austin and have some top notch central Texas que. Since then, I have taken a huge interest in smoking meat. I bought a stick burner and have been trying to master the art. I have a Old Country Brazos I had shipped from Academy Sports to Utah. It's a great smoker at the price. It surely does everything I need it to do.
20190607_202511.jpg

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Not a bad idea, thought there's lots of information and a few different tangents of this discussion going on in the Nom Nom thread, in Maggies.

I'm at the moment, looking to convert my smoker to 'dual use' (possibly) and having it a 'curing box' as well, for charcuterie.

I'll be firing up the old girl tomorrow morning for some ribs.

Going to try a mop sauce this time around.

Normally I'm a fan of dry rub but found a mop sauce that looks pretty tasty.

I'll post up some pic tomorrow.

Here is some of the stuff I've made.
This cooker makes unreal chicken. Its definitely my wife's favorite.
20181104_170646.jpg

I've had some great results with pork ribs-
20191123_192924.jpg

Brisket is the holy grail, and my favorite thing to make because it's so challenging. I love spending half the night and the better half of a day playing with fire.

20190727_183954.jpg

More- this smoke ring turned out like nothing I've ever seen before.
20191215_175308.jpg

Turkey breast is a great one too. Texas style- salt and pepper and oak.
20191103_175313.jpg

I've got 2 pork butts going on the pit on Saturday. I really like puller pork. Its straight forward. It takes really well to a lot of rub.
I'll use oak and pecan mix
20190713_174032.jpg

20190713_174046.jpg

Any heavy gauge two part system(fire box with smoke box) is good. Oak, Apple are my favorites. I use firebox sized split logs or 6" to 10" rounds 4" thick. They burn. Nice clean smoke, even heat, and keep teh smoke box at temp, but freely flowing. Brisket, pork shoulder or picnic, ribs, meat are what this is about. Your every bottle in the cabinet rub? Leave it. Salt and Pepper only. Let the meat speak for itself with the smoke. Anything else is just stuff you do not need. A good sauce, decent slaw(I wander between creamy and vinegar only as the mood strikes) and beer are all ya need, or some sweet tea and lemonade.

Reactions: Skimafia
We are getting a Green Mountain Daniel Boone under our tree in the a.m. We had a cheap smoker that rusted out and I threw away yesterday. I was always going to build one. I would never be able to get around to it. It will be interesting since I have never used a pellet smoker before.
Fun story,
Back when I was in college I was friends with a guy who ran with Oklahoma Joe's Smokers as they went to competition's. If memory serves me right all of the guys going to competition's were divorced in about a years time.
We both lived in an apartment complex. He was on the second floor. One day I fired up his smoker. He had it in the stair well. That was a poor location. I had the smoke rolling. The smoke hit the ceiling of the stairwell and poored out one end. It looked like the complex was on fire. I just knew someone would call the fire department. Thankfully no one did. Everybody's apartments smelled like smoked brisket. They were all good friends and no one got upset. Good memories.

Reactions: Skimafia
I bought a Pit Boss pellet smoker about a month ago so far I have smoked chicken quarters, pork ribs and a venison shoulder on it all have turned out pretty good I have also grilled burgers, and steak on it. Tomorrow I am going to smoke whole chickens on it. These pellet smokers are almost dumby proof......LOL

Last edited:
I use this for whole hog and larger quantities of meat. It got expensive due to the stainless steel and my time pouring footers. However, it will be here after my kids sell the farm.

Local wood. Cherry, apple, oak, hickory and soft maple. Yes, soft maple. It tastes great on poltry. Usually is cherry and maple together
IMG_20171202_085439_003.jpg

I have a 5 pound prime rib going on the smoker in the morning. If it turns out worth a shit I'll share the recipe. Wish me luck!

I'm sure you researched your SIERRA and this ain't your first go'round before ruining a $50 piece of meat. I'm cooking the same tomorrow AM.

What seasoning are you going with?

I have a 5 pound prime rib going on the smoker in the morning. If it turns out worth a shit I'll share the recipe. Wish me luck!
When temp hits 125 on the inside it’s done coat olive oil and smother heavy with Garlic pepper

I have always had good luck with my webber smokey mountain bullet smoker. Pulled pork, turkey, and of course brisket. Dam it, more things on this forum I want, I'm having ham today.

Reactions: TACC
Home made reverse flow! I dig it. Does it work pretty well?
It works great. I haven't fired it up since probably May. Stoked the firebox and let her preheat and I let her get away from me. Temp was up at 550!!

I got her settled back down and got the ribs going now.

It takes more attention and patience to run a stick burner, but it will be a cold day in hell I step over to the dark side and buy a pellet grill.

Great stuff right there, time to get the smoke rolling

Dammit! The prime rib turned out pretty damn good, but my wiff has taken my recipe down, and I've been drinking so I'm not going to ask her where she put it.

Reactions: Snuby642
Tag, I’m about to steal the smoker that’s been sitting in my dads garage for 4-5 years unused

Reactions: TACC
While not a traditional smoker, I use my Kamado Joe to make some damn tasty BBQ! Ribs, pulled pork, turkey have all come out spectacular. I don't make too many briskets, since my family prefers the swine, but the few I've made all came out really nice.

I rub mustard and use coarse salt and pepper. After it rests in foil, I separate the juices left over in a fat separator. I then put the juice back into the meat. I don't use sauces generally

Can you taste the mustard? I’ve never had mustard on pulled pork

You cant taste it at all. You dont need a whole lot, just a thin coat. It creates a surface for the rub to bind to. I've used different kinds of oil as binders as well.

Reactions: Zeroit
Have seen mustard as rub on beef as well.

Texas / German thing .

Going to start adding dry mustard to my rubs again, just a touch.

I use regular yellow mustard as a binder on everything. It's just a liquid to get the rub to stick to the meat before you throw it on the smoker. You can't taste the mustard at all.

Reactions: Snuby642
I'm a Pit Barrel fan myself, but there are some nice rigs in this thread...

I don't have time to stand over the smoker for 12 hours. Not my idea of fun.

the answer

picked it up for $623 out the door a few weeks ago

duck, ribs, chicken legs done so far.

so fucking easy and tastes great.

I don't have time to stand over the smoker for 12 hours. Not my idea of fun.

the answer

picked it up for $623 out the door a few weeks ago

duck, ribs, chicken legs done so far.

so fucking easy and tastes great.
We got ours for $530 plus one bag of hickory pellets two days before Christmas. I haven't had a chance to use it, but looking forward to it.

Way to go.
Killing the fire tending tradition.

Next thing you know you will be doing chores while cooking.

I have spent years perfecting BBQ traditions.

Like if the wife appears to get needy or heaven forbid an idea gleans a thought.
Response is to say uh ow, run to the smoker amd poke it, pretend to adjust it.