• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Offset Red Dot on a Bolt Action

Scrumbag

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Mar 4, 2020
U.K.
Hello folks,

Recently there has been a trend for using offset red dot sights on scopes for running and gunning and this has kind of moved into the hunting world.

Over here in Europe (depending on your jurisdiction) you can’t always use Night Vision / thermal optics for hunting at night so you tend to end up hunting using natural light and this requires a scope with good light transmission – usually this means a German / Austrian 8x56 scope (Personally I use an 8x56 Swarovski Kurz with a No.4 reticle and illuminated centre dot). The way this hunting usually works is that you will walk into your stand whilst it is still light and settle down for the evening and a wait for boar or maybe a fox.

Now I love that scope, it’s really clear and you sit behind the thing and you could look through it for hours. The problem is, if when walking in to a stand and you bump something, getting a quick, close shot off is quite difficult with that scope. So, I am wondering if this is where the offset red dot comes in.

There’s a guy in Sweden who has uses a similar system very well for running game with a zoom scope (but doesn’t go very low at minimum magnification so similar reasoning).

So, I’m going to try the offset red dot. Seems to me the favoured positions are:

12 o’clock – I don’t like the look of this: for a hunting rifle with a bit of kick I don’t like a “Chin-weld”

45 degree or 3 o’clock seems to be preferred for canting the rifle (though I think 3 o’clock might be better that 45 as the 45 looks a bit more chin weld to me).

9 o’clock. I don’t see this used very much but I wonder if you could use the red dot with the left eye and have the rifle mounted properly in the right shoulder?

Some shooters have experimented with the mount at ~430 but this seems to be really difficult to get to with a hunting rifle stock so not where I will try first.

Anyway, have set up the .22lr for initial practice with target acquisition and getting sight picture so we shall see how that goes then step up the calibres a bit

OSCNKFzl.jpg

A2LrLW9l.jpg

yskA4tTl.jpg

So, I had an initial go with the red dot and a crude zero and I found a couple of things:

12 o’clock and 1:30 / 45 degrees I did not like due to chin weld

3 o’clock was much better

For me I found it better to mount the red dot forward of the turrets, up near the objective bell (hit it much less with my hand)

I shot at 50 yds, each shot starting from rifle held horizontally in 2 hands and a bit above waist height.

sSu7sZB.jpg

This was the best of the groups with a crude zero. Not bad and I think something to work more on.

Anyone else tried an offset red dot on a bolt action? Practical experience or thoughts welcomed,

Best,

Scrummy

Reactions: krumfola
I have no experience to share of red dots on bolt guns, but I’m intrigued.

It intrigues me as an idea. Makes the high mag, fixed scope more flexible if it works...
Exactly. The ‘what if I need it at close range in a hurry!’.

I like the idea, and I hope we get some other folks to share their experiences.

Interesting that in the screen shot above for the video you shared (enjoyed watching that) the red dot at 3:00 looks pretty close to being right over the bore. You have me thinking differently about how to position a side mounted red dot.

I run my red dot at 45 degrees off set and works very well.

I zero it so that my rifle is canted approx 35 degrees to the left, which is a natural stance for my standing up and in a hasty situation. Zeroing distance is 50 meters and the impact is where I want it to be 20-80 meters away with no sweat.

Might not be for everyone, but canting the rifle works for me better than lifting your head when the red dot is attached above the scope

DSC_0478.JPG
pp takaa.jpg

Reactions: K_Labs
Oh and by the way, just looking at the video - the guy has closed his left eye and is looking through the red dot with his dominant eye and that's not how red dots work. The speed of using red dots comes with lifting the sight between you and the target, both eyes open, looking at the the target and letting your eyes combine the dot and the target picture.

Most people use front covers on red dots because you don't have to (or shouldn't) look through the red dot glass.

Reactions: Oldloser
I run my red dot at 45 degrees off set and works very well.

I zero it so that my rifle is canted approx 35 degrees to the left, which is a natural stance for my standing up and in a hasty situation. Zeroing distance is 50 meters and the impact is where I want it to be 20-80 meters away with no sweat.

Might not be for everyone, but canting the rifle works for me better than lifting your head when the red dot is attached above the scope

View attachment 7764414View attachment 7764415
That looks a nice set up!

Oh and by the way, just looking at the video - the guy has closed his left eye and is looking through the red dot with his dominant eye and that's not how red dots work. The speed of using red dots comes with lifting the sight between you and the target, both eyes open, looking at the the target and letting your eyes combine the dot and the target picture.

Most people use front covers on red dots because you don't have to (or shouldn't) look through the red dot glass.
Yeah I get the theory though I can understand the temptation to close an eye:

Dominance issues
Lot of 50mm plus objective scope in front of it
Astigmatism might be another (Certainly found using one eye helps me)

ATB,

Scrummy

Reactions: Bean
Having run a canted dot on Semis, my suggestion would be to try and get a section of rail length that replaces the two individual mounting points if possible, and then run something like the Arisaka Defence offset mounting plate. just behind or just in front of the normal rear ring mounting.

it could also be put farther forward, since dots aren't picky about eye relief if needed for bolt handle clearance

two reasons:
1) with a little practice, twisting the rifle over gives you almost the same rigidity and recoil control as standard stance, particularly with 35degree setups, and most rifle combs will still give you a fairly consistent cheekweld at 35deg, a great many still will work alright at 45
2) your bore offset will be the same as normal shooting, so a lot of conditioned mental reflexes still work, and you don't have to retrain your brain "have to aim higher"