• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

offset rings vs. egw base

anthony1

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2010
ohio, sw
hey evry1, new here, seems like you guys really know you're stuff.

Anyways, i got a savage markII that im going to be putting a nitrex tr1 6-20x50 on.

According to Chuck Hawks, "The fingertip adjustable knobs click in 1/4 MOA increments and offer 176 clicks (44 MOA) of total windage and elevation adjustment, except for the target knobs on the 6-20x50mm AO, which click in 1/8 MOA increments and offer 240 clicks (30 MOA) of total adjustment."

This isnt real clear to me, will i have 44 or 30 moa of elavation? Either way i plan on shooting this thing as far as i can take it so i figure i could use some more.

I seen some burris polymer ring offsets that go with the burris signature rings, you can add up to 20 moa with just the offsets.

The EGW picatanny base looks cool too though and also adds 20 moa.

So should i try the rings or the base? Or could i even use both? or would that just be overkill? Thanks

Re: offset rings vs. egw base

first, how much moa are you trying to end up with? it sounds like you have 2 scopes there. one 1/4" the other 1/8" and you will have 44 or 30 depending on which you get. you can get a base made with as much moa as you need, shim and bed your base, use the available bases by themselves or with rings that add more moa or look for a scope with more moa available that wont be that far out of your price range. read thru here and look for someone thats talking about shooting 100+ yards with a 22 and they will describe their setup and you can see what you need for moa. murphy precision make bases in any moa i think but i dont know the cost or if they do one for your rifle

The Burris rings don't give up to 20MOA, they give .020" (or .005" or .010") this can be LOTS more than 20 MOA, depending on how far apart your rings are.
You might use the base AND the rings. Rings come with no offset. Offset shims are purchased separately, so if the flat rings and the 20MOA EGW mount don't turn the trick, the shims are a cheap addition.
I've been using the Burris setup for a couple of years now, with no complaints. Previously I have bedded some scopes in horizontally split rings to get needed additional elevation.

anthony1, we offer stainless or titanium bases for the Savage Mk. II, in 0, 10 and 20 MOA stock, or anything up to 45 MOA if you can wait a few days. You never want to go with a base any larger than half the total adjustment of your scope, or you will lose the ability to zero your gun at close ranges. From your description of the scopes you are looking at, I wouldn't go more than 20 MOA on on the 44 MOA scopes, or a 10 MOA on the 30 MOA target model.

- Cameron

I have never used the EGW rail specifically, but have used rails in general, and have also run the burris sig. rings with offsets. I am sure the EGW is a great product, as it gets great reviews on here, but..... I would go with the sig zee rings if you don't care about the tacticool look. If in the future you decide you want a different gun, it is no problem as the sig zee rings will go on any weaver base. If the mounting holes are drilled offcenter, and you are having trouble getting zero, no problem zee rings to the rescue. And they wind up being cheaper. Optics planet has the sig zee 1" rings on sale for $22 right now plus the $8 for the shims which are also on sale. Compare that $30 to the $40 for the base alone, plus the cost of a different set of rings. The plastic inserts also keep you from giving your scope ring marks.

thanks for the replies. i ended up ordering the nitrex tr1 6-20x50 wich will allow 30moa adjustment and the burris signature zee rings, which will allow me at least another 20 or more moa.

So with a fifty yard zero and 50 moa of adjustment i should be able to get out to 250 yds with a little to spare maybe even 300. I guess ill add a base later if i try any farther than that.

EGW will modify some of they bases for you for $20. Call them up an ask. I just got a 60 MOA base from them for my 10/22.