• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ogive inconsistencies? SMKs

Exodus343

Private
Minuteman
Jul 17, 2013
SoCal
I just got my Hornady LnL bullet comparator and I am measuring the ogive of my 168 SMKs

I am getting inconsistent readings I get two average readings

1.635 and 1.610

is this normal?

I do know having this comparator will allow me to load more consistent rounds

Yes completely normal with SMK's, if your shooting a factory chamber just load them so they fit in the mag, custom chamber then load all them by Ojive, and with a .025 difference sort them out, and seat all them to the same Ojive length

You're doing good. When I separate 168 or 175 SMKs I have always in the past set up 6 Styrofoam cups. I have never had just 2 groups.

Good luck.

hell you'd think with all their new production standards and laser labs this would be a non issue. all the new procedures/standards went into effect beginning of the year. unless it's an old box, I'd call and bitch

hell you'd think with all their new production standards and laser labs this would be a non issue. all the new procedures/standards went into effect beginning of the year. unless it's an old box, I'd call and bitch

I was not familiar Sierra had new production standards (I am a complete noob :) )

and thanks for the replies guys, really glad to see feedback so quick from fellow precision shooters and reloaders

I recently saw about a fifteen thousandths difference between the box I have and a buddy of mines box.

Now, measuring the bullets I have I see maybe five thousandths difference on the 175's I have loaded.

Interestingly enough I planning on loading a bunch of 175's in the morning so I will have to see what I get prior to loading