• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ogive size change.

Tactical30

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
May 5, 2009
Eastern Ohio
I was handloading up some 190gr. SMK'S for my. 300WM. I noticed before i was finished i ran out if bullets so i had to open up a new box. While seating (w/ Redding Competition Die) I noticed there was a .013" difference when I measured the Ogive from the new box of bullets to the old.

I forgot all about this change but never had such a deviation from box to box - .013". Anyhow im going see how much of change im going to gave in accuracy.

Should I see a big difference (in accuracy shift) when I shoot a round from the old box of bullets and then shoot a round from the new box right after?

I didnt think there was a difference in ogive measurements from box to box.

This (.013") was not measured from base to ogive but from measuring the ogive from a round after seating. Didnt think there would be such a change.

Re: Ogive size change.

i think the biggest difference you'll see is in seating depth. More then likely they will not be consistent because the ogives are not the same. If you adjusted your seater so all your COAL's are the same the accuracy difference will be small at close range. But long range and precision guys will get hundreds of bullets, sort them by ogive ( and other things) and shoot the similar ones together in the same group because differences in ogive, bullet OAL, ect will effect downrange performance.

there are ogive differences in a single box , let alone lot to lot variation