• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Oh Crap!! A newbe with a question...

AtownBcat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 19, 2009
Aledo, Texas
First this is my first post so be gentle. I am new to long range shooting and i was needing to know how you guys make sure that your scope is mounted "perfectly" strait.I have a pretty good eye and can get it where it looks strait but it seems to me that if my scope was canted the smallest amount it would just be more apparent the further the target.

My second question will the eye relief change when you change the power of magnification?

I have a leupold vari x iii 8.5 to 25
leupold rings and bases

Thanks for your help.
Ryan

Re: Oh Crap!! A newbe with a question...

LL feeler gauge method!
grin.gif

I have a tree with a 3/16" thick three foot long nylon cord hung by a long nail, weighted at the end to act as a plumb bob. It is on a line out my shop window from my vise. I set the rifle up in the vise (padded of course) and level it with the rail and in line through the bore with the cord. Then I mount the scope and turn it until the vertical part of the cross hairs line up on the cord. Then with a bubble level mounted on the rail I know which way is up. Number two...usually, though some of the better scopes claim minimal change. JMHO

ok i watched the video and read the article and it makes sense, thanks.
Being a hunter first i have two piece bases but will fix that tomorrow.
I need to see if i can find a NightForce dealer here in Fort Worth/Dallas area. I assume i can buy the rail and rings...maybe i should check the classifieds...

You don't have to use NF bases. Even so there should be someone on here to accommodate you readily. Good luck!

You dont have get rid of your two pc base if you use the plumb bob method. Just make sure that your rifle is centered and secure while doing this. Also any 1 pc base will do.

I assumed the pic rail was a night force product...I have noticed that most of the long range guys go that route.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AtownBcat</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I assumed the pic rail was a night force product...I have noticed that most of the long range guys go that route. </div></div>
Pic yes; NF not necessarily!May want to go the Badger route!

Regarding rails, I go with Badger Ordanance rails myself. They are very nice and have a pretty good following here. Seekins also makes very high quality rails that are an excellent buy as well.

Yes I think it is. My dad uses NF bases on both his 700P and 5R 300 Win Mag and they both work great. Any high end bases will do, either Warne, NF, Leupold, Badger, Seekins, Ken Farrell, EGW, Burris Xtreme will do.

would you guys mind explaining the term "lapping the rings"...thx

I also went to the Badger web sight and my head is starting to hurt..lol This is alot like trying to learn a new language! I have a Remington long action but there were alot of choices and i don't have enough knowledge to know the value of the different options...
Suggestions?