• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Oh Dang, the backyard 'Chuck is here again.

Greg Langelius *

Resident Elder Fart
Minuteman
Aug 10, 2001
AZ
Same yard, different 'Chuck. Inside the Village so the same no-gun restrictions apply, and besides, I'm surrounded by neighbors on all sides, about half of whom have kids.

Last time, I resorted to the live trap, baited with a leaf or two of Romaine. Overnight success. Thought about window/22LR, but now, with two young cats, all an open window means is escaped cats.

Will advise...

Greg

...<span style="font-style: italic">Varmint Cong?...</span>

Re: Oh Dang, the backyard 'Chuck is here again.

Ahhh, this reminds me of my Jr. High days as an "urban sniper" of sorts. Many a starling, crow, red squirrel, chipmunk, and fruit-tree-nibbling rabbit fell to my arsenal of .22 CB shorts (Didn't know about 60g SSS's back then) and air-rifles.
smile.gif

Best of luck!

Super Colibri 22LR ammo, head shot. Shoot it within 15yd.

The 20gr "bullet" is pushed to about 650fps from a micro-groove rifle or a regular groove pistol barrel. No powder, only a primer to push it.

Head shots are "click *flop*" and actually make significantly less noise than my 17 caliber piston air rifle. The ammo drops a lot, and it's relatively expensive, running about $3/50 rounds.

It is extremely effective on things up to marmot sized though. I clipped many a squirrel and dove with it in town over the years, one time the neighbor was in the backyard and never reacted to the shot, at 50yd away I doubt she even heard it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Super Colibri 22LR ammo, head shot. Shoot it within 15yd.

The 20gr "bullet" is pushed to about 650fps from a micro-groove rifle or a regular groove pistol barrel. No powder, only a primer to push it.

Head shots are "click *flop*" and actually make significantly less noise than my 17 caliber piston air rifle. The ammo drops a lot, and it's relatively expensive, running about $3/50 rounds.

It is extremely effective on things up to marmot sized though. I clipped many a squirrel and dove with it in town over the years, one time the neighbor was in the backyard and never reacted to the shot, at 50yd away I doubt she even heard it. </div></div>

Very true, I use it on the muggers/thieves at the bird feeder. Many a chipmunk and squirrel have fallen to its silent whispers while the birds continue to eat in peaceful bliss

Ya'll consider the Super Colibri superior to the CCI conical ball shorts? 29g solid round-nose @ an advertised 710fps. Best accuracy I ever attained was about 1 inch groups @ 15 yards. However, i did manage to kill a crow @ 40 paces (4 inches of drop if I remember correctly.
smile.gif
) with a chest shot and several rabbits @ 10-20 yards. Seems tough to beat for "cap" style rimmy ammo. What's the advantage of the Super Colibri?

Took advantage of the relative quiet of these rounds last night in fact, when my neighbor called and asked me to dispatch of a young rabbit she had wounded with her car. Took the shot (after dark) very near the center of town and then scurried back inside (hopefully) before anyone saw me toting a bad-looking rifle around in the middle of the night.
smile.gif

The benefit to the super colibri is that it feeds from the magazine of my bolt action rifle, and if you manually stoke the slide, it feeds from the pistol mags as well.

In ballistic terms the CB's are just as good or better, but feeding easily is nice to me.

You guys miss the point; I live in the thick of civilization, neighbors to the left of me, neighbors to the right of me, etc... Too many small kids in the neighborhood, which makes a tacit point of not having fences.

I'm not shooting anything inside town, period.

Besides, last time I tried, I put a .22 caliber hole through the window frame...

Funny thing, though, 'Chuckie has been MIA for the past week, and I don't think he's (she, it, whatever...) all that cagey. Was chattin' up the neighbors Sunday and mentioned I'd probably be needing to borrow the live-trap again. The guy with the trap then said he'd just finished filling in a 'Chuck hole under the in-between-us-neighbor's garage.

Since then, 'Chuckie's been a no-how.

Maybe it's a Ronin 'Chuckie?

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You guys miss the point; I live in the thick of civilization, neighbors to the left of me, neighbors to the right of me, etc... Too many small kids in the neighborhood, which makes a tacit point of not having fences.

I'm not shooting anything inside town, period.

Besides, last time I tried, I put a .22 caliber hole through the window frame...

Funny thing, though, 'Chuckie has been MIA for the past week, and I don't think he's (she, it, whatever...) all that cagey. Was chattin' up the neighbors Sunday and mentioned I'd probably be needing to borrow the live-trap again. The guy with the trap then said he'd just finished filling in a 'Chuck hole under the in-between-us-neighbor's garage.

Since then, 'Chuckie's been a no-how.

Maybe it's a Ronin 'Chuckie?

Greg </div></div>

maybe its birthing multiple more little ones, good luck

find the hole, pour gasoline on a rag, toss it in, fill in hole........nough said

Last time, a live trap with a few selected fronds of Romaine Lettuce, a quick trip to the Village brush pile, release, and the hole refilled with moth flakes mixed into the backfill.

Worked pretty quick-n-easy.

Greg

That's a good idea, moth flakes in the refill dirt. I'll remind my dad of that, he's dealing with a pair of them right now which are eating his hops. He nailed 2 already and missed the third, the remaining two are now wary of any vehicle coming down the driveway and they scamper at footsteps as well.

We would fill fresh holes with a few shovels full of broken up glass before back filling. They get cut up pretty good trying to dig through it and expire in place.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ahhh, this reminds me of my Jr. High days as an "urban sniper" of sorts. Many a starling, crow, red squirrel, chipmunk, and fruit-tree-nibbling rabbit fell to my arsenal of .22 CB shorts (Didn't know about 60g SSS's back then) and air-rifles.
smile.gif

Best of luck! </div></div>
Sounds familiar too, drove my sis insane. Although nothing was quite as funny as when she inadvertently found the "burial ground" the one day. *Lmfao* The reaction was something like " WHAT....how many these damn things are in here....I jus can't dig without finding one".......I just figured they'd be good fertilzer for the flower bed.

Air rifles will do the job. Some come with mufflers built on.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ghogs Nightmare</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ahhh, this reminds me of my Jr. High days as an "urban sniper" of sorts. Many a starling, crow, red squirrel, chipmunk, and fruit-tree-nibbling rabbit fell to my arsenal of .22 CB shorts (Didn't know about 60g SSS's back then) and air-rifles.
smile.gif

Best of luck! </div></div>
Sounds familiar too, drove my sis insane. Although nothing was quite as funny as when she inadvertently found the "burial ground" the one day. *Lmfao* The reaction was something like " WHAT....how many these damn things are in here....I jus can't dig without finding one".......I just figured they'd be good fertilzer for the flower bed. </div></div>

Haha...that really is funny stuff man! My mom thought it was so nice that I started getting into bird watching when I was 14. :p I even set a nice, soft pine board there to place the seed on...12 yards from my bedroom window. She had no clue about the extensive testing then went into making sure that the little 29g CB ball would not ricochet off the board when fired @ an angle into it. Dude, what a mess of critters I killed off that old board. Safety first!

Greg, apologies for mis-directing the topic. Best of luck in getting the bugger. Are conibears an option? A professional around here uses what looked like a 120 (smallest, "muskrat" size, but w/ a double spring) staked over the hole to remove them from parts of a farm I hunt. Well, I hunt until he shows up and then I go elsewhere.
frown.gif
Anyway, might be an option even in town as long as you weren't too worried about neighbor (or your own) cats getting into it.

-The Kid.