• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Oh no another AI vs Barrett vs DT thread

Which one would you choose?

• AI ASR

Votes: 87 58.8%
  • Barrett MRAD

Votes: 26 17.6%
  • DT SRS M2

Votes: 17 11.5%
  • Sako TRG M10

Votes: 6 4.1%
  • Sako TRG 22

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Cadex Kraken

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • Victrix

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.4%

• Total voters

Mareshow

Private
Minuteman
Mar 14, 2012
So let me preface this with I live in Canada and our choices for rifles and availability is somewhat limited.

AI and Barrett are repped by Wolverine Supplies up here. Good company, very traditional and getting a response from them takes at minimum a week. They don't carry much for stock on the parts or rifles. So that means if I order an AI its 12 months to get it, same with Barrett. It also means if I need parts it's 6-12 months to wait for more mags, bolts, springs, caliber kits, etc. IMO that sucks. AI I can get aftermarket stuff for (barrels and mags), Barrett I cannot.

I would argue that for that reason alone I'm inclined to look else where due to the lack of support.

Desert tech on the other hand is available from multiple dealers, who have decent stock, caliber kits are plentiful, as are the common parts and accessories. The Dealers that sell Desert tech respond quickly and I could order one today and it would ship tomorrow. I'm leaning this way even though I dont love the bullpup idea, but I do love being able to get a 223 conversion as well as a standard and magnum all in the same platform. the weight for carrying is attractive too.

Sako TRG 22 or M10 have a cult following up here and are widely revered as some of the most accurate rifles. Mags are $400 but thats a small pill to swallow. The M10 is the most expensive of the choices, caliber kits are all custom order with at least a 6 month eta.

Alternatively I could get the new TRG 22 A1 which is an impressive rifle, but no quick change. also $400 mags.

Cadex, I've had before, customer service is awesome, but the rifle is a heavy pig being at least 2 lbs heavier than anything else. It's more bulky and not as sleek. Was a shooter though. But field carry wasn't very pleasurable.

Victrix is carried by Go Big Tactical up here which is a dealer I regularly buy from. They have stock on rifles and parts and the turn around on stuff would be much faster than everyone with the exception of DT and Cadex. I think their rifles are beautiful but again no switch barrel and they are pricey and resale if you dont like it is horrendous

Other, Unique Alpine UPG-3 (FN Ballista), Steyr M1. Both of these are available with caliber kits being stocked by dealers, I have no experience with either but have heard they are shooters. the Steyr cold hammer forged barrel is a work of art IMO.

So with the brief summary above, which rifle would you go for and why?

The MRAD is so clearly superior to everything else on this list ... that I consider your quest for an alternative to be a gross waste of your time.
(Now watch all the non-MRAD fan-boys drop their litter of kittens all over the reloading room floor.)
you would buy one still even though support is terrible?

Can’t speak to AI or Barrett. Haven’t owned them. Maybe the guy above has owned them and can give a better and more detailed answer.

I can speak to the fact that DT is pretty easy to swap and accurate. It should get major points if you love a short rifle. Overall length is great, but the trigger isn’t TriggerTech level. Action cycling is tougher.

It will shoot as good as any bolt action I own today, and that’s includes a few impact/manners/proof setups.

General guidance from me after owning a switch barrel system and at least 6 conversions is that I tried to do too much and never put in enough time with a single barrel. Ended up selling it all and building 2-3 rifles that each had a purpose. That could just be a me problem.

Reactions: BurtG and Mareshow
So, confirmation bias is a real thing and this thread will definitely turn into a laundry list of it...

I own the AXMC, MRAD, and Kraken. Personally I don't like the AXSR aesthetically compared to the AXMC but I'm certain quality is on par and the AXMC is an excellent rifle and certainly a work of art in its own right. Here is the US it would get the nod due to availability and support.

The MRAD is an excellent shooter and good enough in its own right. Barrett let it languish for too many years without supporting the platform with caliber change kits. As I stated above, it shoots very well with the 4 calibers I have. Its a bit quirky but you wouldn't be handicapped with it. Since it won the MK22 contract its popularity has soared as many want to have what the .mil is using.

Just received my Kraken and it is nothing short of beautiful. I've plenty of experience with other Cadex rifles and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Right up there with AI. I agree that the Cadex may not be as sleek atheistically as AI but I don't find them to be any more difficult to get behind and shoot well. Build and accuracy are top notch. I've not found them to be any more bulky or heavy to carry than the others in the field - but you would not find me packing any of these tactical rifles on a hunt.

Personally I just can't do the DT. Many are very successful using them and probably the cheapest ticket to enter the multi caliber market. If size and weight were the driving factors, it leads hands down.

The Victrix is beautiful and I've actually shot one once, but very difficult to find and I would anticipate support to be next to non-existent (here is the US).

Sako M10 is a Sako so that's pretty much a known quantity for build quality. Very expensive and rare here in the US. The TRG is a different animal because its not multi caliber but they are awesome rifles. Again, very little support here in the US.

FN has discontinued the Ballista as far as I know. Is it being sold directly by Alpine now?

The Steyr is awesome and a known quantity just like the other high end rifles. I would certainly get one someday if support for the system was on par with the others.

What are you doing with the rifle? In the end your purpose should drive your decision. Sitting back to enjoy the oncoming onslaught....

Assuming you pay 150-200% what we pay here I couldn’t fathom buying a single caliber weapon system like the TRG-22A1. With the support situation from Barrett and AI, those are a pass too.

Above poster is correct - what is your need? What is the use case? Requirements dictate equipment.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Being in Canada, you need to think about the logistics of sourcing barrels and parts. Not all the options on your list are going to be well sourced in Canada.

Insite Arms is an excellent gunsmith up there. I know they do pre-fits for DTA and AI. So those are the two models I would be looking closely at.

I'm not sure how easy it is to get Barrett barrels in Canada. Maybe they are easy to source, maybe not.

With DTA, you have to figure out if the bull pup configuration works for you or not. It's a love it or hate it thing.

AI is a known quantity, and parts are relatively easy to find in Canada, I do believe. Plus, Insite Arms makes pre-fits for them, as I mentioned above. I would probably be leaning hard towards AI, if I was in your situation.

FYI, It's not that Wolverine Supplies doesn't want to carry stock on Barrett or AI, but the lead times from those manufacturers are significant - I wouldn't hesitate to purchase either a Barrett or an AI from Wolverine, they support everything they distribute and sell, you may just not like the lead times on some of the more niche products.

Not seeing Barrett or AI guns at many other dealers likely has more to do with those dealers not wanting to have unique and spendy items in stock and on the shelf sitting around, especially for more niche products.

The TRG M10 is ridiculously expensive up here in Canada, I believe you could get into an AI or Barrett for a decent chunk less than the TRG M10. All of them are excellent firearms.

Reactions: Mareshow
So, confirmation bias is a real thing and this thread will definitely turn into a laundry list of it...

I own the AXMC, MRAD, and Kraken. Personally I don't like the AXSR aesthetically compared to the AXMC but I'm certain quality is on par and the AXMC is an excellent rifle and certainly a work of art in its own right. Here is the US it would get the nod due to availability and support.

The MRAD is an excellent shooter and good enough in its own right. Barrett let it languish for too many years without supporting the platform with caliber change kits. As I stated above, it shoots very well with the 4 calibers I have. Its a bit quirky but you wouldn't be handicapped with it. Since it won the MK22 contract its popularity has soared as many want to have what the .mil is using.

Just received my Kraken and it is nothing short of beautiful. I've plenty of experience with other Cadex rifles and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. Right up there with AI. I agree that the Cadex may not be as sleek atheistically as AI but I don't find them to be any more difficult to get behind and shoot well. Build and accuracy are top notch. I've not found them to be any more bulky or heavy to carry than the others in the field - but you would not find me packing any of these tactical rifles on a hunt.

Personally I just can't do the DT. Many are very successful using them and probably the cheapest ticket to enter the multi caliber market. If size and weight were the driving factors, it leads hands down.

The Victrix is beautiful and I've actually shot one once, but very difficult to find and I would anticipate support to be next to non-existent (here is the US).

Sako M10 is a Sako so that's pretty much a known quantity for build quality. Very expensive and rare here in the US. The TRG is a different animal because its not multi caliber but they are awesome rifles. Again, very little support here in the US.

FN has discontinued the Ballista as far as I know. Is it being sold directly by Alpine now?

The Steyr is awesome and a known quantity just like the other high end rifles. I would certainly get one someday if support for the system was on par with the others.

What are you doing with the rifle? In the end your purpose should drive your decision. Sitting back to enjoy the oncoming onslaught....
Alpine only ever sold direct to Canada. A dealer local to me sells them and stocks most everything. I think FN just licensed it from UA.

My primary purpose for the rifle is to hunt/field use it. From shooting coyotes, to Elk to target shooting at home. I dont want just another bench set up. I have some very nice Insite builds that I could use for that purpose, but I want something more modular with a a front rail to attached a thermal, LRF and other tech. Something my Foundation stocks won't do.

I have a nice backpack for field hauling, that said the short DT has appeal even for chest carry. I was thinking a short 308 barrel, a 300 win mag or 300 PRC barrel and maybe something larger, but I already have a 338 Norma that is an absolute tack driver so probably not. If I went DT the 223 would be ideal for coyotes and gophers.
Being in Canada, you need to think about the logistics of sourcing barrels and parts. Not all the options on your list are going to be well sourced in Canada.

Insite Arms is an excellent gunsmith up there. I know they do pre-fits for DTA and AI. So those are the two models I would be looking closely at.

I'm not sure how easy it is to get Barrett barrels in Canada. Maybe they are easy to source, maybe not.

With DTA, you have to figure out if the bull pup configuration works for you or not. It's a love it or hate it thing.

AI is a known quantity, and parts are relatively easy to find in Canada, I do believe. Plus, Insite Arms makes pre-fits for them, as I mentioned above. I would probably be leaning hard towards AI, if I was in your situation.
I appreciate the boys at Insite, they said they would do MRAD barrels for me but would need the shank piece.

I had an AI AX308, as well as an AT308 and while I love the bold and the accuracy. I sold them for a reason.
FYI, It's not that Wolverine Supplies doesn't want to carry stock on Barrett or AI, but the lead times from those manufacturers are significant - I wouldn't hesitate to purchase either a Barrett or an AI from Wolverine, they support everything they distribute and sell, you may just not like the lead times on some of the more niche products.

Not seeing Barrett or AI guns at many other dealers likely has more to do with those dealers not wanting to have unique and spendy items in stock and on the shelf sitting around, especially for more niche products.

The TRG M10 is ridiculously expensive up here in Canada, I believe you could get into an AI or Barrett for a decent chunk less than the TRG M10. All of them are excellent firearms.
M10 is about $15k from what I've seen so you are right it is pricey.

I'm not saying wolverine is a bad company, I do appreciate them. But as far as availability, DT is better period. I had to wait 8 months for a new AI bolt where as DT I could get one in less than a week.

I know a big part of this is personal preference, I really like the look of the MRAD and the AI but is the extra 2 lb worth carrying vs the DT?

AI ASR.

1. It’s at the top of your list because most likely deep down it’s what you really want.
2. It’s the best multi caliber rifle on the market.
3. It’s the hardest flex.

Second choice would be an AXSR and assembling your own kit, but owning something like an ASR kit comes with a huge pride of ownership.

Third choice would be MRAD/MK22.

I personally wouldn’t buy a single other rifle on your list. I’ve had DTA’s and they suck complete ass. Cadex’s are sorta alright but the way those folks say “about” is wrong. Sako’s aren’t bad but their service is horrendous. No idea WTF a victrix is, sounds like an STD though.

Thread should be locked after this post.

I’ll just add DT is not in the same league as the others. Might be a Ferrari vs corvette thing but fit, finish, feel DT is not at the same level.

Reactions: wildcats
Does your demand signal for easy access to mags, bolts, springs, caliber kits, etc. drive you to buy what some perceive to be a less refined rifle?

Can you check your desire for refinement in order to achieve sustainability?

-Stan

23E3A889-617D-42E2-8961-F41B803A60F1.jpeg

More like a K swapped F body.
DT has been known to have some QC issues, however I;ve seen the same with Barrett and has personal experience with it with an AI. No company is immune if it's made with human hands. I have however seen plenty of DTs shoot bungholes at various distances.
Does your demand signal for easy access to mags, bolts, springs, caliber kits, etc. drive you to buy what some perceive to be a less refined rifle?

Can you check your desire for refinement in order to achieve sustainability?

-Stan
This is an excellent summary of my dilemma. I dont know if I can say the DT is less refined. The Bolt Hitch in movement on the DT as well as the mags are something to take into consideration.

What also bothers me is the amount of mark up put on some of these rifles at retail. A Barrett I can get for $2k less than quoted if I import direct across the border. Thats an extra caliber kit on its own. I could also have it here in less than a month vs 12 months quoted at wolverine

With my customs (all impact actions) Insite will send me whatever I need, overnight if need be. And one could argue those are the smoothest actions available.

Reactions: stanley_white
I have both the MRAD & AXSR. I think the AXSR is one of the best looking MC rifles. I think the ATX looks the best from AI (just wanted to add that irrelevant information). The MRAD, which I didn’t want to like because it threatened my AXSR for attention, it’s my favorite functionality wise.

I like my Desert Tech rifles. Sure the action isn’t butter smooth as some custom rifles or a Tikka, but if you cycle the damn thing with a purpose then it runs and feels plenty nice. If you ever so lightly lift the bolt and cycle the action like a bitch then you may be disappointed. It’s a machine. Use it like one.

I also like the length of the rifle and this is a big advantage over traditional rifles if you do anything other than shoot on a flat range with it. If a suppressor is used this gap only widens. I don’t think there is a better “tactical” type rifle if a man plans on being out and about with his gun.

The triggers are nice as well. Not excellent, but good. You won’t get a feather light trigger with one but if a crisp 2 1/4 - 2 1/2lbs will work for you then all is good. There is a lot of over travel so this may or may not bother you.

I will say Sako TRG 22A1 are nice rifles. I had one for a while but sold it like I do everything else. I’m not a collector and like to play with stuff. I’ll pick up another some day and may hold onto it this time.

Last edited:
Why the hell would you even consider an MRAD if you believe the support to be "terrible"? What's it even doing on your list?

I could see this thread appearing in the Bear Pit by this time tomorrow...

Reactions: Huskydriver
You already have Impact that you love and can get prefits…what are you after then? Quick change barrels? Gear lust?

If it’s quick change barrels that you’re after, can you not get something like a Terminus Zeus switch barrel up there? Even if you can’t get prefits in Canada for the Zeus (no idea), you could get a smith to spin up some barrels.

Or if you get some barrel-changing tools for your Impact and different bolts for whatever calibers you’re missing. Have the smith cut some wrench flats on the muzzle area like AI’s.

Or buy something like an ARC Coup de Grace with interchangeable bolt heads and do the wrench flats on that instead.

With either your Impacts or any other R700-based actions you can choose from a myriad of chassis systems, many of which have NV bridges.

What am I missing here? Why did you choose the rifles in the poll?

Why the hell would you even consider an MRAD if you believe the support to be "terrible"? What's it even doing on your list?

I could see this thread appearing in the Bear Pit by this time tomorrow...

Is the support required? or is the Rifle reliable enough that this is much less of a factor?

You already have Impact that you love and can get prefits…what are you after then? Quick change barrels? Gear lust?

If it’s quick change barrels that you’re after, can you not get something like a Terminus Zeus switch barrel up there? Even if you can’t get prefits in Canada for the Zeus (no idea), you could get a smith to spin up some barrels.

Or if you get some barrel-changing tools for your Impact and different bolts for whatever calibers you’re missing. Have the smith cut some wrench flats on the muzzle area like AI’s.

Or buy something like an ARC Coup de Grace with interchangeable bolt heads and do the wrench flats on that instead.

With either your Impacts or any other R700-based actions you can choose from a myriad of chassis systems, many of which have NV bridges.

What am I missing here? Why did you choose the rifles in the poll?

Gear lust a little bit. I want a factory purpose built rifle. I like my Impacts and yes there is a plethora of chassis options, but having a factory rifle thats designed together is something that is missing from my current kit.

Another consideration is exactly what you're saying get a barrel vice, swap a chassis out and effetely have the same result.

Or buy a purpose build multi cal

Reactions: carbonbased
Is the support required? or is the Rifle reliable enough that this is much less of a factor?
You put a rifle on your list that you state that which there is no support - my question is why?

How did you come to the conclusion that there's no support for the MRAD from your point of view?

By what criteria did you make such a determination?

How did/do you define "support" in this context?

You put a rifle on your list that you state that which there is no support - my question is why?

How did you come to the conclusion that there's no support for the MRAD from your point of view?

By what criteria did you make such a determination?

How did/do you define "support" in this context?

Support is by which I can get customer service and availability of parts and components. My primary consideration is time.

In my case DT has excellent support as there are multiple stocking dealers who all stock a variety or parts, conversions, barrels, bolts, mags, etc. Turn around on a mishap with this rifle would be 2 weeks or less. responses are same day, as is shipping if necessary

AI, I had a bolt failure, it took 8 months to get shooting again. response was 2-3 business days so with some back and forth is was a couple weeks just to order a new bolt.

Barrett, while I have zero experience with the brand here in Canada. The only stocking dealer does not have any caliber kits, rifles and very few parts. This would lead me to believe, that if there was a failure, I would be left with a paperweight for quite sometime. Same dealer as AI so probably same response

Now that said. I do not expect a rifle of this caliber to have issues. Which is why it's on my list. but I would like real world experience to confirm my suspicions.

Reactions: BurtG
Support is by which I can get customer service and availability of parts and components. My primary consideration is time.

In my case DT has excellent support as there are multiple stocking dealers who all stock a variety or parts, conversions, barrels, bolts, mags, etc. Turn around on a mishap with this rifle would be 2 weeks or less. responses are same day, as is shipping if necessary

AI, I had a bolt failure, it took 8 months to get shooting again. response was 2-3 business days

Barrett, while I have zero experience with the brand here in Canada. The only stocking dealer does not have any caliber kits, rifles and very few parts. This would lead me to believe, that if there was a failure, I would be left with a paperweight for quite sometime. Same dealer as AI so probably same response

Now that said. I do not expect a rifle of this caliber to have issues. Which is why it's on my list. but I would like real world experience to confirm my suspicions.
They're mechanical things, right? Let me know of something, anything mechanical ever produced by man in our species' history that has has zero issues thus never ever requiring tech support from the manufacturer or aftermarket. Anything at all...

IMO, the most important performance metric for any system is 'up time' or 'mission capable rate aka MCR' which measures a tool's availability for use at any given time. All that money you spend on acquisition costs will be down the drain if it can't meet your minimum mission capable rate requirement (have you formally defined that threshold, at all?). Something capable of shooting .25 MOA that can switch barrels or reconfigure itself in seconds is meaningless if it's sitting waiting on parts or back at the manufacturer for yet another problem.

Also, when you said 'AI had a bolt failure, it took 8 months to get shooting again. response was 2-3 bus days' - what does that mean? It took 8 months or took 3 business days?

You should stack-rank your list based on level of support and end-user sustainability as first priority, in keeping with your anticipated firing schedule, usage patterns and intensity level, typical conditions it will see vs any other consideration. Then set minimum thresholds or empirical requirements like overall precision potential, operating costs as well as defining specific requirements for qualitative attributes like modularity and configurability...Then literally compare each on paper side by side to make a decision, weighing service and support more than the others.

All this assumes you haven't done this exercise already...If you do go through with it, you find you won't need any opinion poll like this one or anything else similar. Just perhaps answers to a few questions you come up with while defining requirements and doing your comparisons between the platforms you are already considering.

Just my .02 since you started a thread where this topic has been rehashed countless times in the relative recent past and it's not like you're simply buying a toy or toaster.

Good luck with your search and choice.

Gear lust a little bit. I want a factory purpose built rifle.
Ok, I get it. I have had, and continue to have feverish, irrational, fugue-like dream states involving gear lust. That’s how I wound up with an AI! lol

At least they visit me less the older I get.

Say you buy an AI and have some small part failure. I’m guessing AI dealers in the US like Mile High won’t ship parts to CA? In that case, can you book a vacation to Colorado and buy it from them in person (with cash)?

Or is that some huge no-no? Sad if it is.

I mean, some AI parts are very hard to get even for US owners. Hasn’t stopped people here from buying.

Yes ... but I've had great support for the two times I've had to call them. One was for information about their bag-rider, and the other was to swap out my bolt for a newer version that had a take-down lever that made it much easier to replace the bolt head. Both times they responded right away and addressed my issue quickly. I've had no issues with their support, and the rifle is amazing ... as are all four of my barrel kits.

If DT is easily found, that helps, but being in Canada your best option is always Canadian built. No paying import fees or waiting for parts/support from out of country.

Also, when you said 'AI had a bolt failure, it took 8 months to get shooting again. response was 2-3 bus days' - what does that mean? It took 8 months or took 3 business days?

It took three BD to respond to my initial email, then with a couple back and forths it finally was confirmed ordered 2 weeks later. From there it was about 8 months to actually receive the bolt.

It took three BD to respond to my initial email, then with a couple back and forths it finally was confirmed ordered 2 weeks later. From there it was about 8 months to actually receive the bolt.
From the day I called Barrett to get information about a bolt replacement on my MRAD ... it took one day to confirm my order, two days to ship, and four days to be received ... 1 week from call to the arrival of my new bolt from Barrett. Caveat is that this was an upgraded replacement bolt with a new feature I wanted, so I had to pay for it, but the availability of support and quick response was still appreciated.

If you're a Canadian, take a look at PGW Defense. https://pgwdti.com/

Coyote/Timberwolf, has some history with your military. (No quick change feature)

However, it also looks like they have a rifle/barreled action marketed for the civilian market (M15) that runs a traditional barrel nut setup.

Coyote/Timberwolf, has some history with your military. (No quick change feature)

However, it also looks like they have a rifle/barreled action marketed for the civilian market (M15) that runs a traditional barrel nut setup.

Can you even currently buy a PGW?

I know they laid off a bunch of staff recently.

The Coyotes and Timberwolf's are iconic, but PGW never kept up with the times. They were left in the dust by other manufacturers a while ago.

The Coyotes and Timberwolf's are iconic, but PGW never kept up with the times. They were left in the dust by other manufacturers a while ago.

Good question, I don't know

Good question, I don't know
As of last year you could. I contacted them about a lefty M15 barreled action as they didn't have any in stock and they said they had one that just got finished being put together and was ready to sell. I decided not to go that route after reading how they were downsizing.

It's too bad they never kept up with innovation. They look like awesome rifles but the chassis design looks stuck in the 90s

I own both and shoot both a lot. Personally I like the ergonomics of the MRAD, but hate the lack of caliber choice. It's much easier to get custom barrels for the DT . If you're going to change out calibers a lot ans want that MRAD doesn't offer... then DT , if you go between these two platforms.

Not anymore, any number of sub $1k actions that accept pre fit barrels make the REM 700 a waste of money. Now using all REM 700 compatible components definitely has merit.
Money yes, but “improved accuracy” negligible at best with bag and bipod shooting.

Reactions: Long Range 338

I looked at Timberwolves, and I Too would love one with an A5 stock. They are still active but only doing small runs. I had an M15 and it was just ok. I much prefer the impact action vs the Coyote. That and no switch barrel unfortunately
I own both and shoot both a lot. Personally I like the ergonomics of the MRAD, but hate the lack of caliber choice. It's much easier to get custom barrels for the DT . If you're going to change out calibers a lot ans want that MRAD doesn't offer... then DT , if you go between these two platforms.
this seems to be the theme here. the ergos of the MRAD are definitely more appealing, the extra 2 lbs over the DT is not. I dont plan on swapping barrels a ton, and the factory options for Barrett are certainly adequate. As kthomas states Insite will do prefits for AI or DT.

that said the MRAD is different.... AI is AI though

Reactions: kthomas
Barrel maker kit in bolt face of your choice = world is your oyster. One time import or whatever.

Barrel maker kit in bolt face of your choice = world is your oyster. One time import or whatever.
Thats the Beauty of Barrett over AI. Barrett will sell to anyone for export. AI dealers are stingy and won't export

Considering the Barrett is having issues with cracking receivers, I’d lean hard to AI.

DT is the Creedmoor of switch-barrels. Don’t be a fag.
Didn’t know there were quality issues

Any particular location or batch?..or tight lipped so far

Thanks