• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ohaus 1010 scale any good

Re: ohaus 1010 scale any good

It's considered a work horse and very reliable. I tend to use my electronic more often but I always have that consistant accuracy question in the back of my mind. That doubt doesn't happen with a beam scale.

They are extremely accurate mine will register a single kernel but they have to be kept clean, level, clear of drafts, use alcohol to clean the knife edge and u shaped rest. Try it out first but there is a fellow that tunes them for a modest price, see below.
You can even add a magnifier mirror set up, like is the case with allot of this stuff, how crazy do you want to get. They work fine as is www.accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2009/07/05/better-viewing-for-balance-beam-scales/

"Scott Parker can modify balance beam scales to enhance sensitivity and more importantly, repeatability. Scott tells us: "You can literally count kernels with these scales--after tuning, the scales typically gain a half order of magnitude in sensitivity and a full order of magnitude in repeatability. Outside of a $250+ laboratory scale, a tuned beam scale is the most accurate and precise balance you can buy. I have tuned several 10-10s. They all have turned out very sensitive, consistent and hold linearity like a dream. The sensitivity after tuning is such that one kernel of powder registers a poise beam deflection. For repeatability, I remove the pan and replace it for the zero 10 times. The zero line and the poise beam balance line must coincide for each of those 10 tries. I then set the poises to read 250.0 grains. I remove and replace the pan 10 times with the calibration weight. For repeatability, the poise beam balance line must return to that same balance point ten times. I then adjust the poises back to zero and recheck the zero. A report is generated detailing the initial inspection of the balance, the corrective actions performed and any remaining concerns. I sell Ohaus type 10-10 and model 5-10 scales for $70.00 + shipping. I can also modify your existing 5-10 or 10-10 scales for $20.00 + shipping. Email me at [email protected] or call (661) 364-1199."

The only real difference between the 1010 and 505 is the extended range, otherwise rhey are effectively identical. Meaning excellant.

I bought my Ohaus 1010 in '65, labeled and sold by Lyman at the time, RCBS today. It included a 260.9 gr. test weight to use for extending the range above the 505 grain level, allowing it to weigh up to 1,010 grains, from which it gets its name. After weighting a LOT of charges over the years since then, I can go to my loading room right now, zero the body on it's shelf, set the poise weights at 260.9 gr., set the extender weight in the pan and the beam will go to sero and stop within two swings, less than two seconds. I'm sure it will continue to do this for another 40+ years if the grandson who inherites it keeps it undamaged and clean.

NO ONE can make that claim, or hope, for any electronic scale, not at any price.
But, ALL sensitive scales are influenced by air currents.

That said, I suspect the beam scale being sold by Redding is just as good.

Just got a refurbished Ohaus 1005 from Scott ( see Unsichtbar's post) and it is the answer to my ham-fisted powder skills. It gives me confidence in the powder charges as it is very consistent vs the electronic scales that are not as sensitive to minute changes, at least in the price range of a comparable balance beam.
Scott's delivery time and communication are excellent also. The balance allows me to drop powder when the lights are out.

I too purchased a Scott Parker-ized Ohaus, what a difference. I went from balance beam to electronic and back to a tuned balance beam. I talked to Scott before getting mine as I was leaning towards the 1010 but Scott steered me away from it. I think it was inherently, they are more prone to going out of cal. Anyway I went with a cheaper Ohaus and it does indeed have one kernel sensitivity. I use my Lyman 1200 DPS3 to get close, then hand trickle the last tenth to get it perfect. I do know my ES and SD are a lot lower now.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Unsichtbar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They are extremely accurate mine will register a single kernel but they have to be kept clean, level, clear of drafts, use alcohol to clean the knife edge and u shaped rest. Try it out first but there is a fellow that tunes them for a modest price, see below.
You can even add a magnifier mirror set up, like is the case with allot of this stuff, how crazy do you want to get. They work fine as is www.accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2009/07/05/better-viewing-for-balance-beam-scales/

"Scott Parker can modify balance beam scales to enhance sensitivity and more importantly, repeatability. Scott tells us: "You can literally count kernels with these scales--after tuning, the scales typically gain a half order of magnitude in sensitivity and a full order of magnitude in repeatability. Outside of a $250+ laboratory scale, a tuned beam scale is the most accurate and precise balance you can buy. I have tuned several 10-10s. They all have turned out very sensitive, consistent and hold linearity like a dream. The sensitivity after tuning is such that one kernel of powder registers a poise beam deflection. For repeatability, I remove the pan and replace it for the zero 10 times. The zero line and the poise beam balance line must coincide for each of those 10 tries. I then set the poises to read 250.0 grains. I remove and replace the pan 10 times with the calibration weight. For repeatability, the poise beam balance line must return to that same balance point ten times. I then adjust the poises back to zero and recheck the zero. A report is generated detailing the initial inspection of the balance, the corrective actions performed and any remaining concerns. I sell Ohaus type 10-10 and model 5-10 scales for $70.00 + shipping. <span style="font-weight: bold">I can also modify your existing 5-10 or 10-10 scales for $20.00 + shipping.</span> Email me at [email protected] or call (661) 364-1199."

</div></div>

Interesting....and I might just send him mine, if I can ever find a time when
I won't need it for a while. What's his turn around time on a 10-10 tuning?

One thing that I do, that helps a ton, is make a check weight that replicates the exact charge of powder for a prescribed loading. I usually make this weight from an ordinary steel washer, whatever size is appropriate starting just a tad heavy, by drilling enough small holes in it to tune it to the exact charge weight I want.

Using this sort of thing ensures that the charge will be precise from one load session to the next regardless, as well as be much more user friendly during a session to double check the "zero" as I load. That steel check weight will never vary if kept clean and cared for and remains a permanent fixure in my die box and is stamped with 1/16" tall lettering for the bullet weight, type of powder, and charge weight. Going back to it later is simply a matter of being able to read.

To use is first to zero the scale with no weight in the pan; and then set the scale to the prescribed charge weight. Placing the charge matching check weight on the pan will either confirm or deny that the scale is truely "zero'd" for this particular weight. During a session, to check the scale, place the check weight on the pan periodically to confirm the scale remains "zero'd".

I like this system because it's an instant check, it's truley reliable, and it doesn't involve moving the beam weights back and forth from zero to charge weight to check zero and chancing that the scale being moved or tweaked. These reloading scales are capable of very accurate/repeatable powder weights but heavy stable lab gear they are not. It doesn't take much fiddling around to move one out of whack. My check weight regimen takes all that out of the equation.

Not interested in modding any of my scales.

RCBS Deluxe Checkweight Set is most critical piece of gear you can own. Always a great idea to zero your pointer and verify your actual load with checkweights.

Got more than one Ohaus scale? I do. The pans are NOT interchangeable. Neither are the pan rest platforms. With a check weight set you can tune the pan rest load if your scale is off enough to concern you.

Not too often you'll use the 1000gr capacity, but if you wonder about an under/over charged case or load heavy cast large diameter bullets, you'll need it...

RCBS has great warranty and service. They will even pay the tab for Ohaus to R&R your scale if seriously out of whack. Very fine piece of gear.