• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ohio deer hunting scope

Arizona8819

Private
Minuteman
May 5, 2021
Troy, Ohio
As stated in the title, I'm looking for an Ohio and southern Michigan deer (and possibly coyote) scope. I'm new here, so I'd love input from Ohioan hunters with what you like to use, but I've been looking at 2 specific scopes: the Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10, and the Leupold Mk3 3-9×40. Do you guys like these scopes? Should I be looking at a 1-6? I am hoping to buy a bolt gun in .350 legend (also open to suggestions there) to put this scope on, as in Ohio we may only use straight wall cartridges and .350 seems the way to go for my family.

Budget- sub $600. I don't want super cheap glass but I can't swing nice glass right now. I'm always happy to buy used, especially something like Vortex with their excellent warranty.

Second Focal Plane- almost goes without saying, but I have a Vortex 3-15 in FFP and the reticle is pretty much unusable at 3x, and I think with .350 legend that's where I'd want to be for a lot of shots. But I understand any bdc reticle would have to be verified and only used at full power.

Illumination- would be nice for low light. This is not a "must" but I would like illum.

Other stuff like parallax, weight, exposed turrets, I just don't think I need because my shots wouldn't be past 200 yards, and i wont be walking around so much.

Thanks in advance!

I don't think you'd really find much benefit from an LPVO for a 350 Legend. It's basically a magnum pistol round (loads for it use magnum pistol powders). The range is inherently limited. LPVOs are more for stretching out to the intermediate 300 - 600 meter range, which you probably won't need to do, unless you happen to find yourself on the edge of an especially big cornfield.

A fixed 3x or 5x prism sight might suit your application. You probably won't need to adjust the magnification, since you're not transitioning from clearing rooms to clearing streets. Parallax on prism sights is typically fixed around 100 meters, which is about as far as you can see in the Midwest woods. It could save some weight, and you wouldn't have to babysit it too much, since prism sights have almost no moving parts. It could also afford you considerably better glass for the price vs an LPVO.

If you don't mind the China thing, Primary Arms has some decent prism scopes, like the SLx 5x36. Their reticles are really top notch. You might also consider an ACOG, but the diopters aren't adjustable (in case your eyes suck as bad as mine do), and they're comparatively expensive, about double your stated budget. Steiner has some good prism sights, like the T332, which are US made and have adjustable diopters and etched holdover reticles. The MSRP is slightly outside your allotted budget, but you could probably squeak by with a used one. I have a refurbished S332, and it has good glass, good illum, and a good reticle.

The near perfect hunting scope I've found is the discontinued Vortex Razor LH 1.5-8x. Only thing it's missing is illumination and why I decided to sell mine. If they put illumination on that scope I'd run it on every hunting rifle I have. As is, the ones I have remaining are sitting on my .22s at the moment. Lightweight, Razor HD glass, reticle is nice, and has a great magnification range for Maryland woods. Also within your budget.

If you want illumination I run a Vortex PST Gen 2 1-6x on one of muzzleloaders. Works well and I've never found the 6x high range too little for my hunting.

Reactions: Arizona8819
I use a 2x6 lupo on a 450 bushmaster for ohio on my muzzle loader is a lupo 4x its all you need for deer in ohio.

I have taken a lot of deer in Ohio over the years, VX 1 1-4 on my bolt action shotgun, then when rifles with straight wall cartridges were allowed I went with a VX 2 2-7 on the 45-70 lever action. I even hunted with a fixed 2X scope back in the 80's. Buy the best glass you can but you do not need FFP or high magnification for the legal cartridges allowed in Ohio.

And the new SFP Athlon Heras 2-12 though not illuminated.

The Athlon FFP Helos G2 2-12 DMR is illuminated and has a thicker "circle of death" feature as well as .3 mil sized center dot reticle that is usable on 2x. This particular scope is one of my favorite scopes in the world regardless of price.

Here is one that fits your criteria.

498607[1].jpg

Available in first or second focal plain.

A few to consider:

Burris Fullfield IV 3-12x42mm - Long Range MOA

GPO Passion 3X 3-9x42 - Plex

Athlon Argos HMR 4-20x50 - BDC 600A SFP MOA

MeoptaOptika5 2-10x42 - Z-Plus

Meopta MeoSport R 3-15x50 RD SFP-4C

If you have the time to give a call, 516-217-1000, so we can discuss what would be best as well as opportunities, as a long standing supporting vendor here, it is our pleasure to assist you.
When in doubt, always listen to Doug.

I'd like to help you but you specified Ohio and Michigan deer, and I only know about scopes that work on Colorado and Kansas deer :p :ROFLMAO:

I would HIGHLY recommend a 1x LPVO. For something like a 350 legend I just don't see the benefit of the higher magnification, but I absolutely see the benefit in a 1x start point.

I put a red dot on my dad's 350 bolt rifle, but if it were mine, I'd do a 1-4 or 1-6. And I would recommend something with an illuminated center or dot for the shots closer to dusk in the woods.

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm leaning towards an lpvo or maybe the Primary Arms 3x but I really would prefer to have a 1x option. I didn't mention it but I do have the Primary Arms 5x36 and don't like it at all because it has the short eye relief of an acog without the fov of an acog (like 19' @ 100 yards). I'll look into links everyone posted!

Thanks for the advice, everyone. I'm leaning towards an lpvo or maybe the Primary Arms 3x but I really would prefer to have a 1x option. I didn't mention it but I do have the Primary Arms 5x36 and don't like it at all because it has the short eye relief of an acog without the fov of an acog (like 19' @ 100 yards). I'll look into links everyone posted!
I live in Ohio and hunted for a couple seasons with a Ruger 77/44, equipped with a Leupold Mark AR 1.5-4 scope. It had the "Firedot" illuminated reticle, and it was perfect for dawn or dusk in dark woods. I believe this scope has been discontinued, but I know they offer something similar but more expensive. I don' think you need a lot of magnification for shots you'd typically get in Ohio, given the hunting conditions, and the range and power of the 350 Legend.

Michigan deer hunter here…. The answer is TT315M…. but that sort of absolutely shatters the budget
TT is worth every penny, but yes, it does shatter dreams as well as budgets.

I'm surprised you can shoot Michigan deer with a TT, I thought only Colorado deer responded to high end glass. What's cool is when I'm out hunting and the deer see my TT on my rifle they meander on over and ask what kind of glass is in the scope and by the time I tell them it is "Schott" glass, it's too late for them :ROFLMAO:

I just posted this up, but for your needs this discontinued reticle Steiner 1-4x at Europtic works perfectly and is considered one of the brightest dots for an LPVO

As stated in the title, I'm looking for an Ohio and southern Michigan deer (and possibly coyote) scope. I'm new here, so I'd love input from Ohioan hunters with what you like to use, but I've been looking at 2 specific scopes: the Vortex Viper HS 2.5-10, and the Leupold Mk3 3-9×40. Do you guys like these scopes? Should I be looking at a 1-6? I am hoping to buy a bolt gun in .350 legend (also open to suggestions there) to put this scope on, as in Ohio we may only use straight wall cartridges and .350 seems the way to go for my family.

Budget- sub $600. I don't want super cheap glass but I can't swing nice glass right now. I'm always happy to buy used, especially something like Vortex with their excellent warranty.

Second Focal Plane- almost goes without saying, but I have a Vortex 3-15 in FFP and the reticle is pretty much unusable at 3x, and I think with .350 legend that's where I'd want to be for a lot of shots. But I understand any bdc reticle would have to be verified and only used at full power.

Illumination- would be nice for low light. This is not a "must" but I would like illum.

Other stuff like parallax, weight, exposed turrets, I just don't think I need because my shots wouldn't be past 200 yards, and i wont be walking around so much.

Thanks in advance!
One thing that is important, what part of Ohio do you hunt, SE Ohio is completely different from NW Ohio, NE Ohio is also different.

Bought 2 of these, and really like them! Excellent glass for the money!

416A8692-1B56-4D03-B244-7E70E85436DB.jpeg

If you don't want to go the LPVO route, then I suggest a Zeiss V4 4-14x50. 👍🏼