• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Ohio Whitetail Hunt ??

cut rifled

Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
May 6, 2006
Fond du Lac, WI
Guys I am looking for a good outfitter or somebody that can hook me up with a Whitetail hunt in Ohio for the 2011 firearms season for 2 or 3 guys.

Paul

Re: Ohio Whitetail Hunt ??

Honestly the Wayne National Forest is huge. Lots oh other small managment areas to hunt in the South East as well. I have been several times. Lots of great deer are killed everyday. People are extremly friendly.

Key to sucess: sit all day a ridge or two over from the main hunting ground. Let the locals drive the deer to you. The deer will be on their feet all day. Locals don't tend to hunt the hard to get to places

Hunt hard a 140 class deer is a very good possibility. With potential a lot better than that

Ditto.. Depending on specifics of what youre looking for, timeframe, and location, I may be able to make some suggestions or potentially even help with providing a cabin or hotel, and land.

Neoshooter,
Don't care what part of the state just looking for a place to shoot a good whitetail. Looking to hunt the regular gun season.

Paul

you want to go to a state that only allows shotguns and black powder rifles for whitetail?

Not the ideal thing for a guy who makes rifle barrels
grin.gif
but I don't care what I have to hunt with as long as I have a chance to kill a giant.

Doesn't ole Lee and Tiffany hunt a lot in Ohio? And it would just be a HUGE plus if Lee was busy
grin.gif
. Good luck on finding an outfitter

jeffbird,
I all ready know all of that I have a lease in Buffalo and Trempealeau county WI but the Ohio gun season starts the Monday after ours closes so that's why we want to go to Ohio also. My buddies and I are whitetail fanatics and have hunted quit a few different states but have not been to Ohio yet. I know the guy that shot the one in my home town he shot it basically in the backyard of one of my buddies who hunts with me on my leases, you should of seen the look on his face when he found out it was shot less than a mile from his house.

Paul

Not too many giants up here biggest deer I saw last year was in the 125-130 class (and I miss the sucker too) and only saw him once during early bow season. Not saying there aren't bigger deer around here I just haven't seen any. Ohio is shotgun, muzzle loader and straight wall pistol 38 cal or bigger only. There are a few private ranches that has some MONSTERS and you can use a rifle there here is the link to one I found but DAMN THEY ARE EXPENSIVE

Link

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: neoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not too many giants up here biggest deer I saw last year was in the 125-130 class (and I miss the sucker too) and only saw him once during early bow season. Not saying there aren't bigger deer around here I just haven't seen any. Ohio is shotgun, muzzle loader and straight wall pistol 38 cal or bigger only. There are a few private ranches that has some MONSTERS and you can use a rifle there here is the link to one I found but DAMN THEY ARE EXPENSIVE

Link </div></div>

I find it interesting that they allow rifle yet ohio law says no rifle allowed. Any ideas how they get around that?

I have no clue how they get around it. What's really stupid is I can use a muzzle loader that getting 2450 fps+ out of the muzzle but can't use a rifle.

To hunt with a rifle here....a SAVAGE MLII smokeless muzzleloader with V-120 powder (or AA 2400)and a 300 grain Barnes Original Spitzer at around 2400fps.

10/4 Handloader I'm running 5744 w/250 SST. I love my ML . I got some 300 SST in January and have yet to try them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cut rifled</div><div class="ubbcode-body">jeffbird,
I all ready know all of that I have a lease in Buffalo and Trempealeau county WI but the Ohio gun season starts the Monday after ours closes so that's why we want to go to Ohio also. My buddies and I are whitetail fanatics and have hunted quit a few different states but have not been to Ohio yet. I know the guy that shot the one in my home town he shot it basically in the backyard of one of my buddies who hunts with me on my leases, you should of seen the look on his face when he found out it was shot less than a mile from his house.

Paul </div></div>

I'm sure it was CLASSIC, LOL. People from Fond Du Lac must not official score enter their deer in the books. Christ we had a 164 and a 176 shot on my land this year. I know of 6 deer in a 5 mile radius of Brandon that were shot in the last 4 years that score over 160 and 5 out of the 6 go over 170.

I would definately agree with .257 when he said close to athens. There is a place called Zaleski State Park that I used to hunt with my dad all the time, Im from Ohio (NE) and I think its some of the most beautiful country I have ever seen...not to mention alotta nice tails. If your looking to just hunt public land I would really say get a cabin at the state park and see if you cant find out some information from the locals we used to hunt off of old logging trails around racoon road. Cadiz is another nice spot, not sure how they have done lately though

Ohio has several good spots. I hunt southeast ohio and Northeast. It seems like anymore 160-170 are common. The one I killed this year green scored 168. In my group there were 5 160 plus deer killed.