• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Movie Theater OK Army guys, help a Navy guy ouy.

Jimmy2Times

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2005
Amesbury, Massachusetts
So on the show "The Unit" which is an excellent show (minus the soap opera women bullshit) by the way, the guys in the team always refer to the Sergeant Major as "Top." What the fuck does that mean?

Re: OK Army guys, help a Navy guy ouy.

"Top" is a way of referring to a person holding the highest enlisted rank. That term is common in the Army and Marine Corps.

I figured as much. Thanks for the info, Lindy. No such verbiage in the Navy. We have our own fucked up ways of talking, to be sure.

Top and SMaj (SgtMajor) are usually synonymous. Topkick on the other hand is the 1st Sgt.

A "Top" when I was is was usually reserved as a sign of respect for the Master Sergeant...and only the ones that looked out for their people.

A dick Master Sergeant...he's a Master Sergeant.

A Sergeant Major or First Sergeant...he's a Sergeant Major or First Sergeant.

But then you get out and everybody is Bill.
smile.gif

In 20 years of active duty, I never heard a MSgt, 1stSgt, MGySgt or SgtMaj addressed as "Top".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunrunner</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In 20 years of active duty, I never heard a MSgt, 1stSgt, MGySgt or SgtMaj addressed as "Top". </div></div>

In my day, it was Top or First Shirt, mostly First Shirt, which was the highest ranking NCO in the unit (Company level) That dropped to E-7 once for about a week, until replacements were flown in.

Battalion level was always Sgt Major, or (HMFIC) but never in his presents. Even our Company Commander called the Sgt Major the HMFIC at times.
grin.gif

We had no Command Sgt Majors back then as I know of.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A "Top" when I was is was usually reserved as a sign of respect for the Master Sergeant...and only the ones that looked out for their people.

smile.gif
</div></div>

Thats how I remember it. Only MSgt was referred to as that.

"Top" was always a E-8 First SGT

We always called 1st Sgt TOP. - Never saw a one complain about it in 8 years either.

Highest ranking NCO (Chief in the Navy).

When I was in " Top" was the First Sergeant...

Back in the days of mounted cavalry, the First Sergeant was often referred to as "Top Sergeant..."

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Strickland</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: hink</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A "Top" when I was is was usually reserved as a sign of respect for the Master Sergeant...and only the ones that looked out for their people.

smile.gif
</div></div>

Thats how I remember it. Only MSgt was referred to as that. </div></div>

+1, MSgt = Top, 1stSgt = 1stSgt, Master Gunnery Sgt = Master Guns, SgtMaj = SgtMaj

If we would have called SgtMaj or our 1stSgt "Top" we would still be field daying the head, right after at trip to Sick Bay for a "training accident".

I've only heard the MSgt called "top"

In the Army, 1SG is Top. Never heard a MSG called it unless he was filling in the position of 1SG.

SGM/CSM would eat your fucking intestines in front of your mother if you ever called him Top.

Top = 1SG, nothing else.

There are a LOT of 1SGs who hate it, a lot of others who like it / tolerate it. Depends on the individual.

Never, ever heard a SGM/CSM or an MSG called Top (except MSGs who were former 1SGs, and they were being addressed by guys who'd been under them before - and that's more just the subordinate not changing his terms of reference when the superior changed jobs).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Weaver</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Top = 1SG, nothing else.

There are a LOT of 1SGs who hate it, a lot of others who like it / tolerate it. Depends on the individual.

Never, ever heard a SGM/CSM or an MSG called Top (except MSGs who were former 1SGs, and they were being addressed by guys who'd been under them before - and that's more just the subordinate not changing his terms of reference when the superior changed jobs).</div></div>

+1 only my current 1sg gets addressed by top. all of my old 1sg's hated it with a passion.