• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OK.....GOING TO STEP ON TOES..........

cnjchris

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2014
CA
Is it or isn't it ? 6.5 Creed .260, 7mm-08, .308, ....etc......Old school? Or the hype? Opinions or thought or common sense on cartridge for game of medium to under large game. (No Long Action) Don"t get that? (North American Game)

Any and all will take elk and under some have taken bigger game as well I prefer 6.5 CM over 260 but all of the above are awesome don’t forget about the 338 federal it’s an awesome cartridge

It's not what you hit them with, it's were you hit them at.
If a low life none shooter like me can drop a moose in Lake Como (Mt) (circa 1969)with a POS Rem 600 in .223,.... My ambush skills were still intact an Yes I did cheat. He was in the water an there was only about 85 yds between us. His eye socket was huge in the 4X Weaver an the little 55gr found it's way there, an turned him off like a switch. It was only then did I understand the meaning so often told. Pull the trigger one time an the fun is over an the work begins.
edit, for fat fingers again

Last edited:
6.5 Creedmoor or .308 if it were my pick. Ammo availability is nice, and there's great ammo available in many flavors for both. The others, sure here and there, but not so consistently.

Reactions: garandman
I'm a sucker for 260, but all would do the job. Ammo availability would have to give the edge to 308 and 6.5 creed.

Any cartridge other than 5.56, .308. 30-06, .45 ACP, .357/.38 Spcl and .22 is wicked gay.

On those days that I am unsure of my identity and I'm feeling pretty I bought a couple of 9mms as the remedy.

Just stop fucking around already.

Could you imagine how much ammo would be available if we got rid of the 31 flavors of ice cream for fucks sake?

95% of the people out there are incapable of hitting anything at the distances those exotic calibers allow them to go to anyway.

Is it or isn't it ? 6.5 Creed .260, 7mm-08, .308, ....etc......Old school? Or the hype? Opinions or thought or common sense on cartridge for game of medium to under large game. (No Long Action) Don"t get that? (North American Game)

There is no wrong answer amongst those choices.

Maybe 260 or 7mm-08 just because that’s what the cool kids use.

Reactions: lash
Ya know.... grocery stores sell meat.... :) j/k Don't blow a gasket. :)

They frown upon shooting at the meat counter in our local grocery...

Any cartridge other than 5.56, .308. 30-06, .45 ACP, .357/.38 Spcl and .22 is wicked gay.

On those days that I am unsure of my identity and I'm feeling pretty I bought a couple of 9mms as the remedy.

Could you imagine how much ammo would be available if we got rid of the 31 flavors of ice cream for fucks sake?

95% of the people out there are incapable of hitting anything at the distances those exotic calibers allow them to go to anyway.

Using the phrase “wicked gay” on a gun forum is wicked gay. But I agree with the sentiment- with a caveat. Sometimes (rare) you need something that ends with H&H or nitro express...

Simply for the variety of ammo available .

In eastern hunting (not in the plain states or across the mtns of the west) typical hunting distance is gonna be < 200 yard.

.308 covers this easily. And the low price, variety and avaialbility of ammo avaiable to non hand loaders of ths round kinda make it a no-brainer.

OP says he's from Kalifreakedup, so for him YMMV.

.22lr has killed more game than all cartridges combined and squared.
+ 1, as a kid our table was always filled, with/from the little 22lr's ability. Now we need a 300wm for deer when we were killing Deer for years upon years with a simple 22. The gun rags an internet fourms want you to believe it's all about the flat shooting loading's when in reality it's really about lost skill set's, that are now requiring a cannon for a Deer.

In eastern hunting (not in the plain states or across the mtns of the west) typical hunting distance is gonna be < 200 yard.

.308 covers this easily. And the low price, variety and avaialbility of ammo avaiable to non hand loaders of ths round kinda make it a no-brainer.

OP says he's from Kalifreakedup, so for him YMMV.

You must read a lot of outdated hunting magazines that regurgitate the same horseshit year after year. 308 may not be as flat shooting as some other cartridges, but it's effective range is not as limited as you suggest.

A good friend of mine hunts speed goats with a 308 in Wyoming.

You must read a lot of outdated hunting magazines that regurgitate the same horseshit year after year. 308 may not be as flat shooting as some other cartridges, but it's effective range is not as limited as you suggest.

A good friend of mine hunts speed goats with a 308 in Wyoming.

No. I dont read hunting magazines. And yes, flat shooting matters for consistency at distance for your average hunter. They aren't all tacticool operator 1000 yard marksmen like you and your good friend.

Some anecdotal example of your "good friend" is largely irrelevant to anyone other than your good friend. Yes, 308 can be VERY effective on target at distance. I never said otherwise. All I said was 308 is MORE THN ENUF for your average hunter, typically shooting under 200 yards. Dont put words in my mouth just to start an argument.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ledzep
.22lr has killed more game than all cartridges combined and squared.

Too true. Since moving out here amongst the Natives, I have gained an enormous respect for the 22lr. Many folks wouldn't probably believe what gets taken out here with it, but let's put it this way: the consequences of a miss can sometimes be dire!

If I was going short action centerfire, seems like either 308 or 6.5C would fit the bill as a good general purpose. Good commercial ammo choices, large number of actions available, and both have established histories in target and hunting disciplines.

Small advantage might go to 6.5C for reduced recoil for roughly equivalent performance vs 308, and something more amenable for distance should the need arise. If memory serves, 6.5C does extend supersonic range by a few hundred meters vs 308 (IF you've the skill to utilize it.)

Well, livn in Arkansas, I would never feel out of place w 22LR, 5.56, and 308Win. But I set in middle of 6.5 wagon. Love my 260’s and gettn a bolt 6.5Grendel. Quite sure 99% deer killed 300yds and under and there aint enough difference at that range between 300mags, STW’s, 270wsm, 308, and 260 to tell the difference

Reactions: garandman
If I was to have just one centerfire rifle, and it had to be a short action, I suppose I'd go with a Creedmore mainly because I think it's about the best short action 6.5 cartridge design.

Fortunately I don't have any such restrictions. My ancient Winchester 70 in 30-06 has been my primary hunting rifle for going on fifty years and there isn't anything that a short action chambering will do any better when it comes to hunting with the judicious selection of factory ammunition or handloads.

Just now.....$150......

ammo.jpg

It will be another thirty years before deals like that can be found on the cool calibers.

@ArmyJerry knows this..........

Can't go wrong with any of them really. The smaller bores probably require better shot placement but that is a given with hunting anyways... Personally I love me some 7mm-08 for deer and elk.

I bought 100 percent of "That Deal".

Its old stock my local Honey Hole picked up from a bankruptcy or an estate.

Case is labled to a police supply store in MA.

Primers are not nickel plated nor sealed if that dates it.

I am currently turning all my .308 guns into 175 SMK slingers but at .30/rd Ill shoot some sweet 168s.

+ 1, as a kid our table was always filled, with/from the little 22lr's ability. Now we need a 300wm for deer when we were killing Deer for years upon years with a simple 22. The gun rags an internet fourms want you to believe it's all about the flat shooting loading's when in reality it's really about lost skill set's, that are now requiring a cannon for a Deer.
FB_IMG_1549515972464.jpg

Absolute best is grenade hunting with an incendiary as backup. It helps to be a volunteer fireman that has access to flame retardant clothing.

^^^ this is the best shit I've seen all day ^^^

If you're stuck in CA like I am, stick with .308 or 6.5CM. We can't use lead ammo anymore and you can get lead free .308 or 6.5CM at any big store, like Sportsman Warehouse.

If you're not stuck in CA like I am, stick with .308 or 6.5CM. You can get either at any store anywhere.

Last edited:
I'm at a loss as to what would be considered new school in a short action for medium size game. Just because something is old school doesn't necessarily make it less effective. All 4 chamberings mentioned are excellent for cervid size game. If we're keeping it to short actions, there are better chamberings with larger bolt faces for certain circumstances.

It’s quite simpler than y’all are making it. What’s the largest deadliest animal were your gonna be hunting? Can you outrun said animal? Are you sure your as good a shot as you say you are? Even while being charged by said animal? Pick the caliber big enough to make you feel safe within your shooting ability but small enough to lug wherever you got to go. I’ve met natives that take bear with .223. Not my first pick but I wouldn’t feel naked with it. What does it take for you to not feel naked in your AO?

260 if you reload

6.5 if you don’t

308 if you want to shoot inside 700 yds only for taking game. Will shoot over 1,000 on targets but looses its knock down power

7mm 08 if you want to do the same as above

308 is your best bet if your buying ammo. Any store carries it. 6.5 is better if you intend to not reload. 260
Is more expensive to buy but slightly better if your reload in my opinion.

284 or 300 option If you want hitting power at longer ranges

So if all the chamberings work then it really comes down to another criteria:
-recoil
-bullet choice
-ammo availability
-rifle options
-energy