• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes OK, I probably screwed up my Bushnell HDMR 3.5-21x50 G2

shovelstrokeed

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 16, 2013
Long story short,
I attempted to set the zero stop on my elevation turret after successfully resetting the zero stop to allow me to zero at 100 with 40 MOA of rail tilt.

Not really a problem till I went to reset the zero stop to my new 100 yd zero. Thought I did everything according to the not so clear instructions in the little manual. I wound up with only 0.6 mils of elevation and a very positive zero stop. Repeated the procedure to reset the stop and no, it did not fix the problem.

I'm pretty sure the elevation turret is messed up and will require a return to Bushy (who I cannot get on the phone,15 minutes on hold this morning) but have a fond hope somebody may have encountered this before and can give me a hint.

Thanks in advance.

I doubt the turret is messed up, the real issue is the instructions are a little foggy.

I'm going from memory here and don't have my XRS in front of me but here's what I remember doing...

Remove the outer (graduated) portion of the elevation knob

Loosen the two setscrews on the inner brass ring inside the outer black locking collar (the two setscrews you used to set the zero stop)

Using the allen wrench still inserted in one of setscrews lift the inner brass ring up until it stops. You may have to push the black outer collar down, insert the allen wrench through the oval cutouts in the black collar and into the brass inner ring & set screws and then lift them both up together to lift the inner brass collar fully. This will lift the brass zero stop off the stop.

One that is done snug both setscrews back down. Press the locking black collar back down and reinstall the outer knob. Dial the elevation to the lower and upper limits and verify the full amount of elevation travel is available.

Again, that's going from memory. If I had my XRS in front of me right now I'd run through the procedure and make sure I remembered correctly!

Kiba,

Thanks, will try tonight. Your instruction makes a lot more sense than that of the manual (I use the term loosely).

Just got home and confirmed the procedure I referenced above with my XRS.

Simply loosen the two set screws, leave the allen wrench in one of the setscrews and use it to lift the entire inner collar until it stops, then snug the screws back down. You will have reset the zero stop and will have maximum elevation travel available.

OP, report back if that fixes your problem.

Last edited:
Kiba,

Many thanks for the spot on instruction. Got it done this morning. The screw up was all mine with a little help from a really vague manual.
Scope is doing what it should again.
Back to the range tomorrow to zero it all over again, sigh. Not a real problem as my gun is a joy to shoot and I need the practice.
Gonna get it on at 100 and then crank up and down and see how things work out in terms of mil dot and range estimation.
I've got a G2 reticle in the thing and only a max, on certain days, of 500 yds to play in.
I plan on truing the scope/range card, at least on the 200 yd line and see what JBM has to say about 120g Amax muzzle velocity in my bbl.
Longer ranges will have to wait till next weekend when they open the big range.

Good to hear. The instructions about setting the zero stop are correct-- it's just the reset that they're screwy on.

I had the zero stop on my XRS set 0.6 mils below my 100 yard zero to match the zero stop on my S&B 5-25 DTs, piece of cake to do. After zeroing at 100Y dial the turret down 0.6 mils before removing the outer graduated portion. Then set the zero stop and reinstall the outer turret at -0.6 mils. Dial up 0.6 mils and you're back at 100Y zero, dial down and you hit the zero stop at -0.6 mils. You don't have to do it that way but it was nice for consistency with my S&Bs.

If you ever need to reset the zero stop in the future just use the procedure I referenced above and it won't change the zero as long as you uninstall and reinstall the outer knob in the same place (preferably at 0.)

Last edited:
99.9% of the posts that claim the zerostop on their (insert brand here) scopes are f'dup are always operator error.

Last edited: