• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OK ... I'm stuck. (Literally)

rustyinbend

GySgt USMC 1976-1992
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2018
    Bend, Oregon
    Newbie here. Did all my research, and even successfully did a "perfect" test cartridge minus primer and powder that came out to the exact specs I was targeting. So I got started working some volume case prep and now, after neck-sizing a dozen rounds without issue, I have one stuck in the Press and Neck Sizing Die. The ram goes all the way up, but only comes down about an inch ... not enough to see the case bottom below the die because of the spring-loaded sleeve on my Redding Competition Neck Sizing die.

I disassembled the top of the die, and the case neck is clearly visible inside the sizer bushing. But the damn thing won't budge. I can't get the die out from the top, and I can't get the ram out from the bottom. Unable to think of anything to do, I've needled a little penetrating oil (Kroil) on the neck-bushing area to let it ferment overnight, but I realize that's a stretch.

Searched for YouTube answers, but everything there shows the die removed with the stuck case inside ... not with the shell-holder stuck at the bottom too.

Help me Reloader Jedi Masters ... you're my only hope !!!

Here are the details:
    • Redding Big Boss II Press
    • Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor once-fired factory cases (clean and dry)
    • Redding Competition Neck-Sizing Die
    • .291 Bushing
    • Redding Imperial Sizing Die Wax for lube ... but clearly not enough.
    ANY ideas on what to do next would be MASSIVELY appreciated.

Can you see down to the base of the brass? Grab a wooden dowel, slide it into the case, and, ahem, persuade the brass down/out with a hammer.

Reactions: Smittiac
    Mistake #1.... Your neck sizing....FL size that shit everytime to fit your chamber

Mistake #2 not properly lubing your cases

Reactions: AllenOne1
    Mistake #1.... Your neck sizing....FL size that shit everytime to fit your chamber

Mistake #2 not properly lubing your cases
    So regarding #1 ... I tried that, and the results were fine, except that when I tried to seat a bullet, the neck was too big and the bullet pulled out with just my fingers. Realized that I needed to slightly size-down the neck opening, and the only way I could figure out how to do that was by using my neck-sizing die. Am I missing something?

So regarding #1 ... I tried that, and the results were fine, except that when I tried to seat a bullet, the neck was too big and the bullet pulled out with just my fingers. Realized that I needed to slightly size-down the neck opening, and the only way I could figure out how to do that was by using my neck-sizing die. Am I missing something?
    That's the correct move if neck tension is too low. What wasn't clear is that you also full length sized, some people try to only neck size that that eventually ends up with oversized case heads that don't fit the chamber.

That's the correct move if neck tension is too low. What wasn't clear is that you also full length sized, some people try to only neck size that that eventually ends up with oversized case heads that don't fit the chamber.
    Understood. So ... what is the right order? Neck first, or FL first?

Wait, why was the FL die making neck tension too low? Which die were you using?

You shouldn't need to size down in two steps unless you're using a body die and a neck die.

Wait, why was the FL die making neck tension too low? Which die were you using?

You shouldn't need to size down in two steps unless you're using a body die and a neck die.
    It's once-fired brass, and that means the case neck hosted a bullet that's been fired, hence the slightly over-sized neck diameter. My neck-size bushing die fixes that. The full-length body die does not.

It's once-fired brass, and that means the case neck hosted a bullet that's been fired, hence the slightly over-sized neck diameter. My neck-size bushing die fixes that. The full-length body die does not.

Ah, Didn't catch that it was only a body die. Most people don't refer to that as full length - a proper FL die does body and neck.

Just realized that Redding makes a Full-Length Bushing die that does body and neck in one process. Just ordered it. Wish I'd know that before buying the Competition Die full set ... live and learn.

Reactions: TheOfficeT-Rex
    Bushing dies are also overrated.... Lol

I just fl size now with reg non forster dies without the expander button then open the necks up with an expander mandrel...i get way less run out this way