• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Ok its narrowed down to 2 options...help

kneedragger_241

Private
Minuteman
Jan 14, 2009
Panhandle of WV
I know I know...another scope choice thread...

Rifle: REM 5R 308/AICS 1.5

Typical usage: Mat and bench shooting, 200-900yds

The contenders:

"Classic tank" USO SN-3 3.2-17, illuminated Gap ret, EREK mil/mil, FFP

"Hubble telescope monster" IOR Valdada 4-28x56, illuminated MP-8 ret, 1/4 moa, SFP, 40mm tube,

I am dying with indecision here though, caught between two completely opposite spectrum scopes, both I believe to be of great quality and value but worlds apart as far as size, function, weight, magnification, etc.

Believe me when I say I have scoured the internet from corner to corner, read every scope "opinion" thread known to man and compared apples to apples, apples to bananas and so on...

Now I am an impatient type person so it has taken alot of restraint not to impulsively buy one everytime I think ive made up my mind! All this being said, I have decided I cant live without one of these two scopes but they are so different and I love parts of each one so much that I just cant decide. I love all the USO scopes, the look, legendary quality and durability, etc. Not too fond of the front focus but the T-pal is just little too much $$$. With the USO just mainly scared I will miss the magnification I have now. I love the monster IOR because of the great zoom power, 80 MOA adjustment, and side focus.

Lets now say you could magically find both scopes in stock and ready to ship for around $2300...

WHICH DO YOU BUY AND WHY???

All opinions welcome guys and thanks!!!

Re: Ok its narrowed down to 2 options...help

USO hands down. I love IOR glass and if the 4-28 was FFP and mil/mil I would take it any day over the USO. However FFP and mil/mil is the best setup in Tactical style shooting.

Yeah Ive never had a FFP scope and although the size of the reticle at max power for long range shots worries me a little, everything else I've read about FFP makes me think I would really enjoy using one. Power wise I think I could live with the 17x since the millett im using now isnt that clear past 20x anyway.

Of those two, it's an easy choice. USO.

ETA: The IORs are nice enough, but the fit and finish of the USO is in another class. hard to tell that just looking at pictures, but it's true.

Schmidt and bender! If your gonna spend that kinda money get the best.

Thanks for the inputs guys. I think im about decided on the USO SN-3. The more I think about the size of the IOR and the Millett LRS I have now, the more I really think I want to size down and go with a more compact, sleek looking and lighter setup. I like the low-profile EREK knob and just the overall look of the ones ive seen mounted with a AICS stock.

The S&B scopes are VERY nice dont get me wrong. But im not a huge fan of their kinda plain look and traditional looking adjustment knobs and all. They look to me like much nicer leupolds. I know they are the best money can buy but when im spending that kind of money looks have to factor in.

There is something intangible and much more rugged, tactical and just flat out interesting looking about the USO scopes over everything else out there. This however is of course just my opinion. The USO scopes just fit the look to a T with the OD AICS it will be mated with.
If I was building a blacked out police sniper rifle I think the S&B would be better matched.

The IORs are nice and its tempting now that im pretty sure I want something smaller to save the money and get the SH 3-18x42 FFP scope but I think later I would regret not getting the USO.

+1 uso best looking scope on the market. they are sexy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 7mmRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Basing a scope purchase on looks is a bad way to go. </div></div>

I understand and completely agree thats why im not basing the purchase on looks. That said however when you compare two great scopes like the S&B and USO its hard to choose the one that isnt nearly as good looking when there arent any other solid reasons to do so.

Of course beauty and looks are all in the eye of the beholder. Im sure most S&B owners love the look of their scopes im just not a big fan.