• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report OK now its time for 30 cal choices!!!

JC Steel

Gunny Sergeant
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Oct 12, 2008
Washington State
I started a thread a while back about 7mm choices and I got great feedback. I got feedback From the 7 WSM, .284, 7mm RM, and lot of people talking about 7-08. Great advice and there is obviously lots of great ideas for 7mm.

I am moving this topic to a 30 cal topic and am asking which cartidge would be best considering all aspects of shooting. I am looking at first long range accuracy, recoil, barrel life, brass quality, cost to reload among lots of things.I would like to stay away from wildcats like the 30-416 or 30-375. Yes, those would probably be great long range shooters, I am asking to inform the average shooter and reloading that does not want to dive into that kind of stuff just yet. What would you recommend in the 30 caliber for long range shooting, 800-1400 yards and possibly beyond??? Please all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the advice

Re: OK now its time for 30 cal choices!!!

A long barreled( 27"-32") 300 RUM is tough to beat. Brass is cheaper than the Weatherby 30-378 and performance is within a hundred fps or so.

Tough to beat the old 300WM for what you want. It's not new and cool but it works. I've shot mine to 1650 yards without a problem.

+1 good commercial ammo availability, easy reloading, decent supply of new brass and huge amount of reloading data. what's not to love?
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tough to beat the old 300WM for what you want. It's not new and cool but it works. I've shot mine to 1650 yards without a problem.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tough to beat the old 300WM for what you want. It's not new and cool but it works. I've shot mine to 1650 yards without a problem. </div></div>

1+ with Rob01. At 1400 yards as your upper range, you have essentially eliminate the 308 caliber. Leaving the 300 WM and 300 RUM. Between the two, I would pick the 300 WM. With the right bullet and load, you can really reach out there.

I know I'm going to get labeled, but if 1400y is the upper limit don't count out the 30-06, even with commercial ammo. If you're handloading, then rolling it to a mile can be done, even with a 22" barrel.

Recoil is lower than any of the 300 magnums, cost of brass is much lower, any hardware store, gun shop, pawn shop, walmart, etc. is bound to have suitable ammo on the shelf for one of those "oh shit" moments on a hunt. Any of that shelf ammo will still kill anything shy of some of Africa's species (this includes Europe, North America, etc)

Components are easy to find and plentiful, even by the standards today with the shortages going on.

If you walk into some backwater gun shop and say "I need ammo for a 300 RUM" the guy behind the register is likely to say "huh" instead with the 30-06 he's going to say "well, we gots 150, 165, 180, and 200 grain bullets, soft points, full metal jacket, hollow point... take yer pick"

I'm another fan of the .30-'06, but so far have not gotten a chance to shoot any true LR capable rifles chambered in it, just an M70 and an R77 with sporter barrels, plus my ever-present Garand.

I'd really like to see how Palma 155's and 175's do in a Palma length barrels with appropriate twists for each.

I think that if the 155 can go the distance in a .308 chambering, it's got my vote out of an '06.

I figure If I need more than that, I'm really out of my league anyway. My wind skills at 1000yd are at best marginal, and for me, it's a stretch to anticipate significantly longer distances.

Meanwhile, the 175 gets the same benefits, but doesn't turn the '06 into a shoulder sledgehammer at the bench, or prone.

Greg

+1 for the 30-06. Tactical rifle, two Garands, 03-a3, BAR and a 1919 makes my life simple - many guns one cartridge.

jcvibby,

I would also take a hard look at the Rem 300 SAUM. Capacity wise it's more like a 30-06 Ack IMP, but the same case length as a 308 winny. Longer neck than the 300 WSM, and less hard on barrels.

Nosler Custom brass for the 300 SAUM is available. Though not as good a Lapua, this brass is pretty good. Much better than the stuff Remington peddles.

Bob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm another fan of the .30-'06, but so far have not gotten a chance to shoot any true LR capable rifles chambered in it, just an M70 and an R77 with sporter barrels, plus my ever-present Garand.

I'd really like to see how Palma 155's and 175's do in a Palma length barrels with appropriate twists for each.

I think that if the 155 can go the distance in a .308 chambering, it's got my vote out of an '06.

I figure If I need more than that, I'm really out of my league anyway. My wind skills at 1000yd are at best marginal, and for me, it's a stretch to anticipate significantly longer distances.

Meanwhile, the 175 gets the same benefits, but doesn't turn the '06 into a shoulder sledgehammer at the bench, or prone.

Greg </div></div>

If using an '06 for LR shooting, why even bother with the lightweight bullets? Driving the 208/210s to over 2800fps with RL22 would be the way to go for fighting the wind and staying supersonic as long as possible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm another fan of the .30-'06, but so far have not gotten a chance to shoot any true LR capable rifles chambered in it, just an M70 and an R77 with sporter barrels, plus my ever-present Garand.

Greg </div></div>

If using an '06 for LR shooting, why even bother with the lightweight bullets? Driving the 208/210s to over 2800fps with RL22 would be the way to go for fighting the wind and staying supersonic as long as possible. </div></div>

I'm doing the same with 208's but it's a shoulder tenderizer for sure. Much more like a 300 Winny than a normal 06 load, I think Greg's keeping that in mind when he states the 155's or 175's.

I am so insulted that you don't want 30-375R @#$%^&*(!!!

Haha,Just kidding.

300WSM holds the light gun 10 shot 1000Y record at 3.9".I happened to be in the pits watching that record being set right before my eyes.1400 yards,no prob.

Decent barrel life too with the 300WSM.

Steve

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> I'm doing the same with 208's but it's a shoulder tenderizer for sure. Much more like a 300 Winny than a normal 06 load, I think Greg's keeping that in mind when he states the 155's or 175's.
</div></div>

Yep; you nailed it...

Great I appreciated the feedback. Please do keep them coming.

JC

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> What would you recommend in the 30 caliber for long range shooting, 800-1400 yards and possibly beyond??? </div></div>
300WM pushing a 190 SMK, 208 A-max or 210 Berger VLD. It's hard to beat, and tons of data, bullets, and factory ammo if needed. Like Rob said, it ain't a new sexy cartridge, but it's a bad ass one!
The next choice would be a 30-06 for less recoil and a little more barrel life, and can still shoot the big bullets and get out to 1400+ easy.

Those 30-06/208/210 combos just need a brake to tame that recoil. Trust me, you won't regret it.

I cut mine to 22.5" and put a Thruster on it. Love it.

The heavier 30 cal bullets would have the desired BC to really reach out and touch something. A muzzle brake is something that would %100 be on this rifle.

jcvibby,
First of all, with all of the feedback you got on the 7mm, which one did you go with ?
As far as a 30cal, I would go with a 300 WM and shoot the 190gr Bergers at 3000fps. I own a 30cal wildcat with a 28" barrel for longrange, and shoot 210gr Berger's or 240gr SMK out of it. But also have a light hunting carry rig with a 24" barrel in 300 WM with a 2.5x10-32mm NXS shooting the 190gr Bergers. This rig would do all that you need . 1400 yards might be streching it for me with that magnification, but the rifle caliber is certainly capable of those distances.

Bluejazz, I went with the 7wsm to come up with a great 1000 yard gun. Hard to beat when you are running 180's at about 3000.

The 240 SMK is really calling my name, or something similar. The BC on the SMK 240 is .711. Thats darn good. The others bullets I am looking at are around 625-650. Still good but not even close to the SMK 240. Can the 300 WM push that fast enough to really see good super long range results. Or would I have to jump up to a 300 RUM or one of those wildcats. Thanks for the opinions bluejazz and everyone for that matter.

Jake

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MontanaMarine</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Those 30-06/208/210 combos just need a brake to tame that recoil. Trust me, you won't regret it.

I cut mine to 22.5" and put a Thruster on it. Love it. </div></div>

And I was just about to reply why MM has not reponded. Any thread where the 06 is mentioned will get him to chime in.

+1 for the 06. It has a huge background and a great history.

I've been rereading this and I am struck funny by the way we think of 155's an 175's as lightweight bullets when discussion the '06, yet have no trouble acknowledging that driving them to 1000yd with a .308 can be a challenging task. Yet they are the very same bullets, and this dichotomy simply demonstrates very adequately just how much more capable the .30-'06 really is.

I think we all may be overlooking that the .308, no matter how widely accepted and employed, was a compromise, tasked with replacing the .30-'06 in the first place. it was an accepted part of that compromise that certain expectations would need to be diminished, and they were precisely the ones that make the .308's 1000yd performance such a challenge. With the .30-'06, those diminished expectations never existed, and reawakening our recognition of this august and robust chambering's longtime capability is long overdue.

When originally accepted into service in 1903, the chambering was sought out and developed as being the .30 caliber round that delivered the most performance that could be employed on an indefinitely repeated basis by the average human.

For the intents and purposes of this discussion, any more, or any less, falls wide of the mark.

So; greetings Pilgrim, mayhap thy quest is ended...

Greg

I've shot some 208's in my 30-06 over RL-25. I didn't mind the recoil at all. I was actually a little nervous since everyone seemed to say it punishes you with the bigger bullets.

Maybe the RL-25 has a different recoil pulse? My rifle weighs 16.2 pounds with scope, bipod, sling... everything. I have no break on it.

Maybe you guys psyched me out and I was expecting more?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The 240 SMK is really calling my name, or something similar. The BC on the SMK 240 is .711. Thats darn good. The others bullets I am looking at are around 625-650. Still good but not even close to the SMK 240. Can the 300 WM push that fast enough to really see good super long range results. Or would I have to jump up to a 300 RUM or one of those wildcats. Thanks for the opinions bluejazz and everyone for that matter.

Jake </div></div>

Excellent question. I'm waiting on the answer as well.

MontanaMarine has pushed the 240's to 2600 in a 30-06.

That's 9.6 mils or 33.1 moa to 1000 and doesn't go subsonic until 1400 yards.

I'd say that if you're wanting to run the 240's then the RUM might be your best bet. I like to keep things up around 3000fps. I run 210's out of 300WM and wouldn't trade it for anything.

The 240 is a bit on the heavy side for the 06. The 208's are just enough faster that it's supersonic for a few extra yards (like another 250))

The 240 isn't coming into it's own until you have 85gr of water capacity to play with. Hence the 300 Win or 300 WSM.

Greg, that was an excellent quick clip to keep in mind, I wish more people could make that step outside the box and realize what some of us have been saying for quite a while.

If you are going to play with the 240's you will need to look at your twist rate. The 1 - 10 does most every thing well in 30 cal but at the high and low end of the spectrum it begins to fall off. In a dedicated 240 rig I'd be looking at a 9 twisted tube to take advantage of the looooong bearing surface of the 240.

I would love to see a 225 - 230gr match boolet. Maybe Hornady could make a 228 Amax. Brian Litz had a recent article in Precision Shooting about scaling of boolets and why the .30 was not optimized aerodynamically vs the 7mm heavies. Excellent food for thought. Since I believe he now works for Berger maybe we can be hopeful........

Cheers,

Doc

I think that maybe the 240 might be a little heavy as well. It just has the best BC around so I thought I would take a look at it before I started building. If berger made a 225 VLD I think I would be in business.

The 300WM shooting the 208 or 210 is and seems like the best choice for me. I would like the extra velocity from the 300RUM but it seems most people have been shying away from that for some reason or another. Is this correct???

JBM says that @ 2600fps the 240 is 9.6mils to 1000 with 2mils in a 10mph wind fv. Still has 1083ft/lbs of energy and doesn't go subsonic until 1400.

However, a 208 moving @ 2800fps is 8.2mils to 1000 with 1.8mils in 10mph wind fv. Has 1107ft/lbs of energy at doesn't go subsonic until 1500.

So, in a 30-06 the 240 isn't bad but the 208 is better.

Doc,
If there were a 240 Amax with a BC in the mid 7's somewhere 2600 should be enough steam to beat the 208 right?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jcvibby</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think that maybe the 240 might be a little heavy as well. It just has the best BC around so I thought I would take a look at it before I started building. If berger made a 225 VLD I think I would be in business.

The 300WM shooting the 208 or 210 is and seems like the best choice for me. I would like the extra velocity from the 300RUM but it seems most people have been shying away from that for some reason or another. Is this correct??? </div></div>

At the speeds we are talking Litz's book gives the 208 an advantage, if I'm reading it right.

The 300wm is going to be able to push those to almost 3000fps. It will be very nice.

I only bought the 240's for me 30-06 because I'm testing RL-25 and that powder seems better suited for heavier pills. So, I bought the heaviest I could find.

OMT,

A 240 SMK @ 2600 will do supersonic to 1505 (1150 fps)@ 2.677 flight time, 62.9 MOA drop

A 210 SMK @ 2600 will do supersonic to 1315 (1150 fps) @ 2.306 flight time, 52.8 MOA drop

A 210 SMK @ 2800 will do supersonic to 1455 (1150 fps) @ 2.459 flight time, 53.2 MOA drop.

So yes, a 240 if you can get it to run would certainly out perform a 210. According to Mr. Lintz's article it would also be ballistically superior to the 210 when scaled. You would probably need that 9 twisted tube to get it running right though. It would also be he!! on your shoulder.

Now if you could get it to 2750 you'd be good to 1620 yards and at 2800 even you'd only pick up 40 yards. According to Sierra they list the high velocity at 2700fps for the 240 out of a 300WM. In a 300RUM they max it out a 2800. I'm thinking there is a mile of super sonic to be had there. You might even get decent barrel life out of it.
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

From a 22.5" tube you might only get 2750 from the 208's out of a 30-06, but the 26" tube mine wears gets them knocking on the door at 2900 (2890-2900 on a warm summer day)

This will run to about 1650 according to JBM and still be supersonic where I shoot, which is about 1200' ASL. If you're altitude is up around 4k' like MontanaMarine you should be supersonic for a mile without much issue.

The 300WSM is somewhat hard on barrels, and the 300 RUM is pretty nasty on them, along with the 30-378 Wby.

If you're wanting to lauch 240's hard and flat and would go to the size of a 300 RUM, then you might want to contact Tom Sarver and pick his brain about the 300 Hulk and there's also the matter of a 300 Kong (standard shoulder, no body tapered 30-378 Wby).

If you got to those sizes you're probably going to eat barrels in 1000 rounds with 240's, but a 9 twisted rifle should throw them north of 3300 fps with relative ease.

The mention of a 16.5lb rifle with 208's makes me say "Aha!" to the recoil question. My rifle pounds me, but it only weighs 13lbs.

Doc, I'm using JBM. What program are you using for those figures? I think I will likely top out at 2650 with the 240's.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bohem</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The mention of a 16.5lb rifle with 208's makes me say "Aha!" to the recoil question. My rifle pounds me, but it only weighs 13lbs. </div></div>

Yeah, I figure the extra weight is what saves me. I've got a 25" Bartlien M24 contour in a PSS stock.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Onemoretime</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Doc, I'm using JBM. What program are you using for those figures? I think I will likely top out at 2650 with the 240's. </div></div>

Sierra I6

Cheers,

Doc

As I am looking at the sierra ballistics software I find that the 240SMK at about 2600-2650FPS is about the same ballisticlly as the 210VLD at about 2825-2875FPS. That being said I think I can have the advantage with the 210VLD because the 300WM can push it faster than that. I might be able to get another 100FPS so the clear advantage would go to the 210VLD.

I'm a bit confused. There is alot of talk of bullet velocity but would the load be accurate?

For example, I've tested the 220 gr SMK on my 300 Win Mag with 26" AMU contour 1 in 10 twist Rock Creek barrel and my accuracy load is 70.6 grains of Magnum which gives me 0.25 MOA at 100 with a measured velocity of 2630 fps.

When I go to higher charges like 71.6, 72.6, 73.6 the groups open up though I get more velocity.

Am I being dense asking about the tradeoff between accuracy and velocity? What would be the point of reaching to 1400 yards if you can't hit anything?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CanPopper</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a bit confused. There is alot of talk of bullet velocity but would the load be accurate?

For example, I've tested the 220 gr SMK on my 300 Win Mag with 26" AMU contour 1 in 10 twist Rock Creek barrel and my accuracy load is 70.6 grains of Magnum which gives me 0.25 MOA at 100 with a measured velocity of 2630 fps.

When I go to higher charges like 71.6, 72.6, 73.6 the groups open up though I get more velocity.

Am I being dense asking about the tradeoff between accuracy and velocity? What would be the point of reaching to 1400 yards if you can't hit anything? </div></div>

I've heard a lot of talk about "accuracy nodes" maybe you haven't hit the next "node" yet, and you will find another .25ish load up there.

I get amazing accuracy from my 30-06 with the 178 Amax at 2665fps and again at 2925 fps. Loads in between there kinda suck, some are downright crappy. To find the higher node I had to switch powders because the best you'll get a 178 to fly with BLC2 is about 2725 fps, which, until I heard about H4350 and RL22 thought was a steaming hot load from the 06.

Now that I've been ejumakated about the slower powders, shooting them faster gets me accuracy that's just as capable as the BLC2 @ 2665 fps, but it gets there with significantly less drop/drift and much more retained energy.

i absolutly like it when we talk about the 30/06, and its capabilities over the 308.

The 308 is a great cartridge and i dont want to take anything away from it.

But the 06 will beat it in every aspect except maybe match grade over the counter ammo.

So why try to reinvinte the wheel. Unless your trying to shoot over a mile.

Howdy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: howdydoit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i absolutly like it when we talk about the 30/06, and its capabilities over the 308.

The 308 is a great cartridge and i dont want to take anything away from it.

But the 06 will beat it in every aspect except maybe match grade over the counter ammo.

So why try to reinvinte the wheel. Unless your trying to shoot over a mile.

Howdy </div></div>

Very well put.

I find that Fed 168gr .30-'06 Gold Medal Match is clearly adequate and precise enough to qualify as superior match grade OTC ammo. Maybe 'Mexican Match'-ing it with the 175SMK could improve on it, but I wouldn't bother.

When one looks at the history of .30-'06 and .308 military match loadings, one soon recognizes that they were loaded with both bullet weights over the same charges. Me; I'd start low and work up to be safe, but the history suggests a lot of similarity.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...When one looks at the history of .30-'06 and .308 military match loadings, one soon recognizes that they were loaded with both bullet weights over the same charges. ...
Greg </div></div>

I was unaware that they used the same charges, this speaks volumes to the initial results that the 308 is a more accurate round. The extra empty space in the case of the 06 I'm sure had something to do with that.

NONONONONO, I don't mean 308 and .30-'06 with the same charges,

I mean that the individual chamberings used like charges for different bullet weights, but were unlike between chamberings. Migosh, loading .30-'06 charges into a .308 case would not be wise.

My abject apologies for the ambiguity in my initial post.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Greg Langelius *</div><div class="ubbcode-body">NONONONONO, I don't mean 308 and .30-'06 with the same charges,

I mean that the individual chamberings used like charges for different bullet weights, but were unlike between chamberings. Migosh, loading .30-'06 charges into a .308 case would not be wise.

My abject apologies for the ambiguity in my initial post.

Greg </div></div>

Phew that makes more sense. I was thinking 308 charges in a 30-06 but 06 charges in a 308 would be the timeline proper approach to that idea.

Anyway, thanks for clarifying that, my own lack of thinking about it certainly could have caused an issue if someone decided to try that load out... eeek.

I get amazing accuracy from my 30-06 with the 178 Amax at 2665fps and again at 2925 fps. Loads in between there kinda suck, some are downright crappy. To find the higher node I had to switch powders because the best you'll get a 178 to fly with BLC2 is about 2725 fps, which, until I heard about H4350 and RL22 thought was a steaming hot load from the 06.

Now that I've been ejumakated about the slower powders, shooting them faster gets me accuracy that's just as capable as the BLC2 @ 2665 fps, but it gets there with significantly less drop/drift and much more retained energy.

I just got into the '06 game recently and i have a really good load with the 190 cc and RL22. I thought the 190 was about as light as one could go using RL22 with any sort of success. What are your charges when using the 178? I have a few of those and some 180 accubonds laying around. Sorry for bringing an ild thrrad back to life....

No worries, I should be more clear as the post you quoted really isn't.

The 190's is about as light as you can go reasonably in a 30-06 with RL22 for propellant. Otherwise you just can't get enough in the case.

However, H4350 under 178's got me to comfortably into the 2900's, closer to 2950 without any pressure issues and little groups. I can push them 2.0gr hotter and almost 100fps faster but it doesn't shoot well up there, so I go for the node and not the speed.

If I'm remembering correctly (it's been a while)

178 Amax @ 3.41
57.5gr H4350 @ 2925-2950fps (bugholes)
59.5gr H4350 @ 3020-3040fps (1 MOA)

190 SMK & 195 Hornady @ 3.41
61.5gr RL22 @ 2890-2910 fps

Okay thanks for clearing that up. Ill look into some other powder for the lighter bullets....

Funny... I was just thinking about trying some 178 amax and see how they did against the 208s.....