• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ok...now what should I do next? .223 load

BgBmBoo

Gunny Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Ok...I found a load my .223 bolt gun likes. Still does not shoot as well as factory Black Hills ammo but better then my last few loads.

Here is what I have:

Black Hills fired brass trimmed and FL sized.
24.5 of TAC
Hornady 50gr Vmax
CCI small rifle primers

The next step in the manual opens the group up and the one below it is pretty good but not as good as this load.
I am seating the bullets to 2.285" and/or 1.905 ogive.

Any input would be great.

Take care,Stan

Re: Ok...now what should I do next? .223 load

Work in between the steps of the manual. Your balance can tell you +/-.1 at least for an electronic balance, probably more like +/-.02 if you're good at reading a beam balance

If that doesn't do it, go mess with the seating depths of the bullets and do it up to max length that fits/feeds from the magazine.

OK, we need more info:

What did you do to prep the brass and how many times has it beeh fired.
What accuracy are you running the charge weight? What step size are you running your charge weights?
Have you measured the position of the lands in the chamber?
Have you checked runout?
Do you have a chamber gauge or case micrometer? Ogive comparitor? Dial Caliper? Micrometer(s)?

Stan,

I am showing 26.7 grains of TAC for the 50 grain V-max as a max charge. 24.5 grains is a mild load for the 223 with this bullet. I would work up to near/at max, and see what it likes. Do you know your velocity? You should be able to get 3400 fps pretty easy in a 24" barrel.
Load up 5 rounds each of 26.1, 26.3, 26.5, and 26.7 (maybe 26.9) and see what happens. Look for pressure as you go up, but these charges should be ok.

http://www.ramshot.com/powders/loadguide/Ramshot_V4.2.2.pdf

Stan, what twist is your bbl?

For case prep I FL size my brass (I have a couple of AR's and like to be able to shoot my ammo through them all if needed). Trim to "book" spec.

The best group of today was just a tad over 1/2" at 100yrds...five shot groups.

I use a compator...can't go much further on the seating or they won't fit in the mag.

Barrel is a 1:8 twist 22 1/2"...yes..I know...I can use heaver bullets but this is for yote busting. And again...FACTORY Black Hills 50gr Vmax will shoot sub 1/2" five shot groups through this rifle.

Do not know my velocity. Chrono on my shopping list. Books says 3200fps with that charge??

I am using the Hornady loading manual and using their steps...went up to 25.2 on the charge and the group opened up quite a bit.

Take care,Stan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BgBmBoo</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> ...went up to 25.2 on the charge and the group opened up quite a bit.</div></div>

Keep going up in charge weight. You're looking for the next accuracy node. 1/2" at 100 is a great group. You know you have this load to fall back on. If you want more velocity AND find another good group, keep going up little by little.