• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

ok so AI stocks look really cool..

andersonman22

Private
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2011
California
but are they more for looks or performance? im guessing good performance because of the price, but how do they perform against an hs precision, macmillian, bell and carlson, etc.?

Re: ok so AI stocks look really cool..

Not sure how one could define performance in a rifle stock, are you wondering which stock is a more accurate platform? With stocks, it comes down to fitting the shooter, all mentioned are capable platforms, but it really comes down to shooter preference. I ran with AI factory rifles and AICS stocked rifles for years, they suit me well, now I'm in a McMillan A5 phase, also a great stock.

Again, all comes down to the individual.

Kirk R

ai's are nice because they dont need bedded. they are bolt in and go,they come with a magazine system that works very well. Manners also offers a great chassis system tho. I chose the ai because its what felt best to me I noticed a small amount of accuracy gain, it is alot easier to shoot prone with it then my previous stock and last but not least they do look awesome and have alot of really cool accesories available

An AICS will either fit you or it won't. Fortunately for me they fit like a glove. When you add up the cost of a good stock and bottom metal/dbm and pillar bedding/fitting you far excede the cost of an AICS, And as mentioned earlier they just look cool!!!

Actually, they are performance first, many find them ugly, but the just flat work. Be warned, they are heavy and don't fit everyone well, but most.

I'm shooting both an adjustable McMillan A3-A5 and an AICS. I like the McMillan more than the AICS for one reason - my right thumb. With the McMillan, I lay my thumb on top of the stock, just behind the bolt. Gives me a better grasp of the gun.

With the AICS, I have to place my thumb through the what?...the thumbhole and then that screws up my trigger finger placement. I find that my trigger finger contacts the stock whereas with the McMillan, the my trigger finger touchs only the trigger. I have to agree with Voyagertwelve in that they fit you or they don't. My doesn't fit me exactly so I have to adopt another set of shooting techinques when shooting an AI as opposed to the McMillan.

But the AICS does look tacticool. If I didn't anticipate having excessive gunsmithing expense in switching from the AICS to a McMillan, I would do so.

Well you can always go with ViperSkins...

Viperskins_header.jpg

After years of using the AICS I ended up ditching it for the .308. The weight of the stock on the .308 made little sense to me. I run one on a .260 now and it makes a little more sense, but on a .300wm on up I would run it without question.

If they didn't weigh as much as they do, I'd run it on everything.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Black-X</div><div class="ubbcode-body">After years of using the AICS I ended up ditching it for the .308. The weight of the stock on the .308 made little sense to me. I run one on a .260 now and it makes a little more sense, but on a .300wm on up I would run it without question.

If they didn't weigh as much as they do, I'd run it on everything. </div></div>

Eat more wheaties.

I don't think the extra weight is that big of a deal, what's an extra lbs on a rifle? I carry my 700P in 308 out deer hunting for miles with the AICS and dont find it heavy.

Im 6'2 and had difficulty with the AI - my wingspan is 73 inches. Had to put spacers in to make it work. It is also very heavy and the thumbhole takes some getting used to.

Best part about it is the lack of smithing needs, the interchangeability of skins and the rock solid platform it provides.

hmm.. gee i wish there was a gun store nearby so i could try it out. i think im stuck between the ai stock and the xlr.. decisions decisions..

Dude, what part of california are you ? if you close to me we can meet at the range if you want to try out the AI stock.

Chad

AI stocks looks like they fell from MARS. Made for little hands.

It's again a personal choice just like alot of things we use. You really should try them to be sure they are to your liking. I have several and absolutely love em.

Recently purchased an fully adjustable Mc A5 just to try on my current build but havent actually shot it so the jury is still out. Have a couple of A3's, they are so so but they dont fit me like the AICS chassis.

I dont have giant hands but they are bigger than most, XL gloves fit me tight and I dont have a problem with the thumbhole whatsoever. I like heavy rifles so the weight doesnt matter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chops</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude, what part of california are you ? if you close to me we can meet at the range if you want to try out the AI stock.

Chad </div></div>

im in northern/central california. are you familiar with the sacramento area?

I don't think its about choice at all, or especially looks unless you're buying a rig to look at and masturbate to.

Its about fit. Whether the AI chassis system fits you, or not. You will really need to shoot with it awhile to know unless its so awkward to be readily apparent.

When shooting prone with the AICS I don't use the thumbhole. I just run my thumb behind the bolt handle as I do with non AICS stocks. Works the same either way.

I don't doubt AI's quality, but I don't care for the thumbhole design either.
I went with a McRee Precision which I found for about $625. I am EXTREMELY pleased with it.

2011-09-02_02-32-37_740.jpg

2011-09-02_02-33-07_597.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thedudeabides</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chops</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude, what part of california are you ? if you close to me we can meet at the range if you want to try out the AI stock.

Chad </div></div>

im in northern/central california. are you familiar with the sacramento area? </div></div>

i'm sure chad can help you out. there are a bunch of people with rifles sitting in aics in the sacramento area. shouldn't be hard to find someone at sac valley shooting center that will let you try one out.

By now you have figured out that this has been discussed again and again.
I have had both, a standard and Folder AICS but sold them both because I didn't care for the feel of them.
Once I tried a TRG I was sold, so I guess you really need to find some local shooters and just try their rifles.
Good luck on your choice,
SScott

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sunnyside Scott</div><div class="ubbcode-body">By now you have figured out that this has been discussed again and again.
I have had both, a standard and Folder AICS but sold them both because I didn't care for the feel of them.
Once I tried a TRG I was sold, so I guess you really need to find some local shooters and just try their rifles.
Good luck on your choice,
SScott
</div></div>

As great as the TRG platform is, personally I cant get used to the stock even with it's adjustability. Wish there were other choices for the 42.

Had an AICS and sold it. I couldn't get over the feeling that I was using a 2x4 as a rifle stock. That being said my next build will utilize a MCM-HTG as that's what I'm use to. It's really a matter of feel and personal taste and everyone is different. Make sure you crawl behind one before purchasing as they are not for everyone.

I gravitated from Mcmillan to AICS, and then went on to buy an AW. There is something about the way an AICS/AW recoils and it's comfort while prone. At this point, I get really aggravated at how a Mcm or Manners feels. They just feel so uncomfortable to me now. The aggravation comes from the fact that i used to love them so much and still dig mcswirly colors.

To each his own...you're gonna have to fondle one to see.

edited: the AICS looks like absolute hell, and feels like it too unless you get down on the ground with it and shoot it.

After reading several posts on Snipershide I decided to give the AICS a try. When I first got one I thought this is way way too heavy but after playing with one for a little while I got use to the added weight. Now everything else seems like a gun for my kid. Can't say enough about the AICS.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well you can always go with ViperSkins...

Viperskins_header.jpg
</div></div>

When will these be available in Dark Earth?

Like everyone else said... Try them both out.

An advantage to the AICS is that you don't need to buy a bottom metal... Thats what made me spend the money. No regrets, I love it. It fits me well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thedudeabides</div><div class="ubbcode-body">but are they more for looks or performance? im guessing good performance because of the price, but how do they perform against an hs precision, macmillian, bell and carlson, etc.? </div></div>

I have a single rifle that was professionally (R&D) fit to two different stocks; a AICS 2.0 and a Manners T2A at the time of the build. The rifle shoots the same with both. Like what was stated, it comes down to to personal preference.

The AICS is good for prone shooting and is not ideal for offhand shooting. Also consider the aspect that a custom Manners or McM allows for variance of fill weight, specified location of multiple sling points, and various forearm and butt configurations. Even so, I prefer (not that is matters) the AICS and think a common stock is beneficial for a single person in same application even given the experiment above.

The HS-P stocks like the ones fitted on factory Rems get mixed internet feedback. Bedding the rcvr on the HS-P rcvr block, I think they are quite capable, never had any complaints.

edited to add:
To add to the HS-P comment; from my experience I believe that buying a AICS stock (they aint free) dedicated for a factory Rem rifle is not the best approach. The hierarchy should put barrel before stock.

personally I'm not a big AICS fan but I must admit the ViperSkins catch my eye every time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 300sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: thedudeabides</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Chops</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dude, what part of california are you ? if you close to me we can meet at the range if you want to try out the AI stock.

Chad </div></div>

im in northern/central california. are you familiar with the sacramento area? </div></div>

i'm sure chad can help you out. there are a bunch of people with rifles sitting in aics in the sacramento area. shouldn't be hard to find someone at sac valley shooting center that will let you try one out. </div></div>

Since you're in the Sac valley, have you checked out Mike @ CS Tactical? He's a site sponsor here and lists the AICS on his website. Might be worth a trip down there, his shop is in Elk Grove.

i thought i would like the ai stock but i got to try one out last weekend and i found i realy didnt like it. the thumb hole was just not high enough. i like to put my hand high on the side but it doesent allow for this. you realy need to try one before buying.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tt350z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Since you're in the Sac valley, have you checked out Mike @ CS Tactical? He's a site sponsor here and lists the AICS on his website. Might be worth a trip down there, his shop is in Elk Grove. </div></div>

mike is good to go. i wouldn't hesitate to do business with him.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: M.45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well you can always go with ViperSkins...

Viperskins_header.jpg
</div></div>

Viperskin Dude,

I am a die hard XLR Chassis user. But your skins are freaking sweet.

-Chris

I have a XLR with the Lawton 8000 in it. I haven't got to try it out yet, I'm still waiting on my barrel. It does feel good in the shoulder and hand when I get behind it to day dream.