• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OK, So How big is it?

JAS-SH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
Hi All,

My daughter and son in law bought a newly built home about 2-years ago in a recently built subdivision next to a largish lake in between Orlando and Apopka Florida (closer to Apopka), They are in their late 20's and have two kids, a boy almost 2-years old, and a daughter that just turned five.

And then this happened this week...

Video below. It's from their Ring camera in infrared mode so resolution is pretty bad. I told my son in law that he could borrow my Marlin 1895 in 45-70 :). Question is: How big is this girl. Yes, for reference the space between wall and column is 5-6 feet. Best weight guess? And I think it's a sow, with cubs. The county animal control is aware of a female w/cubs in the area.

https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-Cc6RTkw/0/ae64e811/1920/i-Cc6RTkw-1920.mp4

Last edited:
looks like older kids in a costume that are trying to get shot for Halloween .

They need to read up and study on how to not attract bruins and how to then repel them...people from Alaska, Idaho, Montana etc can give them lots of pointers. Garbage, grills, pet food...
I've never had a bear residing close enough I had to worry but I can tell you about a cow moose that raised calves 2 different years basically in my front yard. One has to be extremely wary.

That's no joking matter.
Indeed.

As a new subdivision everyone opted for them white plastic fences and as other neighbors have reported the bear has already broken through the fences and gotten to the garbage cans stored outside in the backyards. So, she is now probably on a regular schedule looking for easy meals. The county animal control is aware (they also think its a sow with cubs) but so far they are not doing much of anything. My son in law has the garbage cans inside the garage, but I'm pretty sure bears can still smell them....

Last edited:
Reactions: diverdon
Indeed.

As a new subdivision everyone opted for them white plastic fences and as other neighbors have reported the bear has already broken through the fences and gotten to the garbage cans stored outside in the backyards. So, she is now probably on a regular schedule looking for easy meals. The county animal control is aware (they also think its a sow) but so far they are not doing much of anything.
6 shot does wonders…

Reactions: Average guy
6 shot does wonders…
I could lend mine to my son in law. He has a .270 but I don't think that's the right tool. Here's mine:

i-rVRVs4H-L.jpg

Reactions: 260284