• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes OK to ship Night Vision out of USA? (Ireland)

Seekers

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 8, 2009
Newman Lake WA
Sorry in Advance if this isn't the right spot. I've sold my night vision scope (GEN I)in another forum and the guy is in Ireland. I called the post office and they said they don't see it on the list.
Does anyone know about these one way or the other before he sends out a certified check, or I mail it off, if there is any problem with this?
Just want to be on the safe side and not waste this guys time.

thanks in advance for any and all help,

Seekers

Re: OK to ship Night Vision out of USA? (Ireland)

You may want to check, but i dont think that Night vision devices can be shipped outside of the US, as the Dept of State sees them as an article of war.

Dealing with ITAR items myself, I only sell to people in the USA, and I have them sign an ITAR form prior to ordering. I wouldnt sell it to someone outside the states.

Go to opticsplanet and look at their Gen 1 NV models. Scroll down and look for the export limitations. I've seen the limitations posted on Gen 2 and Gen 3 models, but I never looked at any Gen 1 models.

Be very careful, it could be a sting operation. We get those down here with ATF and FBI running stings on private sellers. The agents pretend to be from Ca or Mexico and offer the sellers a few extra bucks to ignore the laws.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Seekers</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry in Advance if this isn't the right spot. I've sold my night vision scope (GEN I)in another forum and the guy is in Ireland. I called the post office and they said they don't see it on the list.
Does anyone know about these one way or the other before he sends out a certified check, or I mail it off, if there is any problem with this?
Just want to be on the safe side and not waste this guys time.

thanks in advance for any and all help,

Seekers </div></div>

NV Devices are governed by the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and you must file the appropriate documents with the State Dept to be granted permission to ship outside of the U.S. I don't believe they will grant permission for NV Devices.

I am pretty sure Gen 1 is exempt but good luck getting someone in customs to know the difference. The item in question could be tied up for a while or pass right along. Crap shoot.

Personally I would not do it.

I went to optics planet and called the 800 #, and asked them about buying a Gen I Night Vision and having it shipped to Ireland. They said it was a controlled item and would be held up by a day while I was contacted directly by ATN who would ask me who it was going to and for what purpose.

They said it was basically a form thing and that it does happen. It is not as controlled with some countries.

I'm obviously not going to vouch for someone over the internet.

Thank you again for all the input.

Seekers

There is NO restrictions on Gen 1 systems and they CAN be exported form the USA. We have had our share of meetings over the years with the State Dept. on many ITAR topics. We do this every year to insure we have all the latest information. Hope this helps.

Vic

Do you have anything you could send me or post to that effect?

Thanks

Seekers

It isn't that I doubt you I just want something in my hands before I mail it off.

Someone in your position would obviously know the law.

I would just like something to show that I acted in good faith,

Seekers

You may just want to give the guy a refund before you get hemmed up over a night vision sale outside of the US.

I haven't received any money yet so that's not the point.

I'll do my part to see if it's allowed and not leave the guy hanging.

So far the USPS has said no restrictions as has Vic. If I can find something that specifies Gen I, no restrictions, I'll send it off and just declare it in the custom papers.

To be on the safe side..... and for the fact you are getting a lot of conflicting info I would say its not a good idea to send it. If it were to get into the wrong hands you would face some serious trouble. I talked to a guy that sells NV gear all the time. He said he would never send NV or IR equipment out of the USA, period.

I just talked to another company that sells night vision that confirmed that Gen I is not restricted. They also have a policy that none of their equipment leaves the country, even the Gen I stuff.

It's a shame we've come to that point but there's no way I could live with myself thinking this could ever be used on US troops or other innocent lives. I'd rather leave it a safe queen.

No Sale

I think that export restriction applies to parts as well. I knew someone in Australia that wanted a single cell battery housing for a PVS14 and that was a no-go as well.