• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Okay...one of those embarrasing newb questions

bobtodrick

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 16, 2010
Purchased a Savage 93FVSS or myself and two Marlin XT-22's for my two young sons this spring.
Come from 10 years of competitive air rifle shooting (been 20 years since I touched a powderburner).
So here's the 'newb' question.
It is verboten to leave a spring powered air-rifle cocked for extended periods of time...it eventually weakens the spring.
So how about the firing pin spring in a rifle?
After a shooting session we make sure it is empty and close the bolt...obviously cocking the spring (rifle).
Should I be putting in an empty cartridge and releasing the trigger before storage.
God...I feel like such a dweeb

Re: Okay...one of those embarrasing newb questions

Close the bolt slowly with the trigger depressed.....

Thanks...knew I could count on someone here.

I generally just don't eject the empty after my last shot or just dry fire it...many are uncomfortable with this practice because, well...they have their reasons, real or imagined. Many just don't think about it and never have any problems even 40+ years later. NBD either way. Find a standard procedure that makes you feel cozy and stick with it.

-The Kid.

Generally speaking, you aren't "supposed" to dry fire any rimfire. Dry firing can and will cause damage to the firing pin and/or chamber. The question is how long does it take the effects of this damage to manifest itself. I have some that I've dry fired a LOT, with no ill effects; but, on the other hand, my bench rifle, that has a cone breech, was damaged after one accidental dry firing.

As mentioned above, do what you feel comfortable with. I typically just lower the firing pin with the method described above.

Actually coiled airgun springs do loose power if left compressed.
Studies have been done, and leaving an air rifle cocked for as little as a week will decrease the springs power by upto 5-10%.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HathcockWannebe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I generally just don't eject the empty after my last shot or just dry fire it...many are uncomfortable with this practice because, well...they have their reasons, real or imagined. Many just don't think about it and never have any problems even 40+ years later. NBD either way. Find a standard procedure that makes you feel cozy and stick with it.

-The Kid. </div></div>I do the same thing as this poster does. I just don't dry fire any rimfire for practice.

Snap caps claim to be an effective way to disingage firing pins and are used for "proper and safe" storage. Not real sure I consider this a necessity but thats one way you can do it.