• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

F T/R Competition Okc Gun Club F/TR Shooters

Tpb10505

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 9, 2011
Oklahoma City
Hi all! Ideally I would have preferred to watch a match before my first time giving F/TR a try, but its 3 weeks until the next match, which should be plenty of time for me to develop a 600yd load using 168 Berger Hybrid's & Alliant 2000MR with my Savage 12 Palma. I'm curious what to expect, what I should bring besides the obvious. I'll be the first to admit I'm a complete newb in this area, but I've always loved shooting and find the science behind reloading and shooting at distance fascinating. I'll have a shooting mat and rear rest, but other than my rifle and ammo what could I be overlooking? Thanks for the help!!

Here's a pic of what I'm working with
laugh.gif

2012-03-23_203937.jpg

Re: Okc Gun Club F/TR Shooters

Nice rifle. I looked at the Savage Palma but decided against it simply because the barrel has a twist rate of 1:13. I like long bullets for the 1000 yards, in the 180+ gr. range abd 1:13 is too slow to stabilize these bullets. The Berger web site does call for a 1:12 twist rate for their 168gr Hybrids, and surprisingly enough it lists 1:12 for their 155 gr hybrids as well. I suspect if you keep the muzzle velocity up there, you could get away with it. I like 1:11 twist rates for my longer bullets.

I have no experience with Alliant 2000MR, I'm a long time Varget user.

After a while, you may decide to upgrade the bipod to something a little more substantial.

The 1/13 twist will work fine with 155s. That is the twist I specified for my Shilen and it shoots great. I agree with Denys that you will eventually want a more substantial bipod. In the meantime, I would turn it around....
wink.gif

I was flipping through Litz book last night and I think as long as I'm not shooting at sealevel in very cold weather I should be able to keep the stability factor about 1.2. I'm on my way to a 250yd range and we'll see what kind of velocities I can get out of the 30" barrel with the 168's
smile.gif

.... Also have a new Atlas bipod on the way, so the Harris will be finding a new home soon

nice rifle man. sorry im not a okc gunclub but I would like to be if they are doing F-class shoots. I live in the panhandle of OK in texhoma. I have the F/TR 308. I can tell you it is a shooter and I bet yours is too. I can take a golf ball 5 out of 5 times at 300 yard with it and 168 SMK and lapua brass and varget. I know you know but just talking. I have found alot to do with my accuracy more than anything is bullet runout dealing with case neck concentricity. Also I have found that barrel twist for a bullet is for bullet length and not waight even though they go hand and hand most the time. I spoke with a guy from sierra, ran into him at a gas staition. He told me that there, 155gr palma i beleave. was realy a nice shooter out of that exact rifle you have. Those burgers are very nice bullets though I shoot those also. What range are shooting at for your f-class shoot. I know the Xring at 1000 is 5in. but Im not sure for the 600 and 300. and I think you will shoot 20 rounds in 30 min. For expectations, I bet you do real good. Hey id like to get intouch with you maby to see about the gun club.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tpb10505</div><div class="ubbcode-body">.... Also have a new Atlas bipod on the way, so the Harris will be finding a new home soon </div></div>

For F/TR get a Censhot or a Sinclair. For F/TR an Atlas is a waist of money. You need a wider footprint

I run PP2000 MR in my .308 and .223 F T/R rigs. Mine are custom with Shilen barrels. I run 168's in the .308 and 90's in the .223 and will never again use any other powder in either one...... PP2000 MR and don't look back.

I second getting a Sinclair F-T/R bi-pod. I would also stay clear of 168's. I run the matches up at Tulsa and I cant remember how many guys I have seen try and use these only to have them start tumbling at a 1000. Stick with the 155's in your palma barrel and don't look back.

OKC's 600yard range is as nice as you will find. They have a concrete firing line with a nice roof that comes in real handy in a month or two. Defiantly get quality hearing protection as the roof makes it a bit loud.

Not to change the direction on this topic. What is the round count they are expecting at this event?

Unless Darrell has changed things its unlimited sighters and 20 to count first match then 2 and 20 after that so I usally take 70