• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old Ammunition: Still Good to Shoot?

earthquake

Area Man
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    Hi! Just joined, first post. Two years ago I was given ~500 rounds of military 7.62 (.308) ammunition, Lake City, ball that was unopened (ammo still in its original cardboard boxes of 20 rounds per box) and it's dated 1964! So, the stuff is 45 years old now. I have an IBA Tactical Precision Rifle that I only fire reloaded stuff through that I've personally reloaded myself.

In a pinch though, I thought about using this old ammo...it was free! My question is, should I use it? Is it safe? Will it perform in a long range precision bolt gun? Or should I just toss it?

Thanks!

Re: Old Ammunition: Still Good to Shoot?

I'll be happy to test some for you and send you a free report! For scientific integrity purposes, no fewer than 200-250 rounds would need to be ah,...Tested...before a sound conclusion could be reached.

I'll even split the shipping costs with you!

They should be fine, just don't look for MOA diamonds in the rough! I found ten boxes of some older Chilean 7.62 ammo, for $3.00/ box, that was actually pretty good! Think I have a couple boxes left, maybe I can discern the date of manufacture.

Welcome!

I've shot lots of Garand ammo from the Fifties with no problems and lots of pre-WW2 FN 8mm with no problems. Have a bunch of black tip AP ammo for the M1 from the Fifties that shoots fine. As Queequeg implied, don't have unrealistic expectations as far as accuracy goes, though. AG in NC

Just keep in mind that some old ammo is very corrosive. I doubt that what you have is, but be careful.

USGI 7.62x51 ammo was NEVER loaded with corrosive Chlorate primers.

Expect 3 MOA or better.

If you're superstitious about iron-jacketed ammo with the copper plating, check them with a magnet first. AFIC, all USGI M80 Ball was loaded with that stuff, as well as most of the old .30-06 M2 Ball.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Grump</div><div class="ubbcode-body">USGI 7.62x51 ammo was NEVER loaded with corrosive Chlorate primers.

Expect 3 MOA or better.

If you're superstitious about iron-jacketed ammo with the copper plating, check them with a magnet first. AFIC, all USGI M80 Ball was loaded with that stuff, as well as most of the old .30-06 M2 Ball. </div></div>

+1 Never corrosive, 3 MOA Plus, Steel jacket.

Good luck

Jerry

as others have posted, shouldn't be a problem, I'd recommend really cleaning the rifle thoroughly after shooting the old ammo. I had some vintage early '60's .308, shot fine, not quite as accurate as it could be, but certainly worth the cheap trigger time at 100-150 yards

USGI date of conversion to non-corrosive priming was 1953.

As long as the stuff was stored properly it will shoot fine. I've shoot plenty of WW2 ammo and some .45 ACP from WW1. It all went bang. Only stuff I had some hangfires with was some vintage .43 Spanish, even that stuff shot well.