• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old Anschutz .22 Garden gun

mewillis

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 29, 2002
Florida

This little .22 LR according to a knowledgeable Anshutz rep. was made between 1950-55 and was called a "garden gun" to dispatch varmints, birds etc.
It is in immaculate condition for a 70+ year old rifle, wood is perfect with no dings/scratches, pretty remarkable. Single shot bolt action and the bore is shiny, bluing is about 96% if that helps.
There is no model number which they also say was not uncommon back in the post war era. So I am trying to find someone who actually owns one
of these to give me more info on this little gem. My research only finds 9mm rimfire models of the same gun but no .22. Any help is appreciated as other than getting it ID'd by Anschutz they really didn't have more info on this .22

The headbanner stamping on the top of the front of the receiver indicates manufacture between 1950 and 1955. By post-WWII agreement, German arms makers were not allowed to produce rifled barrels until 1953. As a result, if the barrel has rifling it suggests a date of manufacture of 1953 or 1954/55.

The rifle appears to be a common garden gun with a Flobert I action. Some smoothbore models were available in Flobert 6mm or perhaps even 9mm (an example of this ammo is shown below).

Thanks for the info, so the Flobert 1 most commonly used the Flobert rimfire whether 6 or 9mm? Since this is .22LR is it safe to use modern ammo in these or is the Flobert .22 ammo required. I don't want to blow up the rifle with modern ammo.

Looks like a model # 1361 . Junior Varminter line ?

Reactions: mewillis
Thanks for the info, so the Flobert 1 most commonly used the Flobert rimfire whether 6 or 9mm? Since this is .22LR is it safe to use modern ammo in these or is the Flobert .22 ammo required. I don't want to blow up the rifle with modern ammo.
Your one pic is cut off but looks like the barrel is marked .22 long rifle not "Flob."

ETA:
1920's Boy's rifle
wm_12844310.jpg

Reactions: mewillis
I believe grauhanen is saying it's a Flobert action? but I do know they made the black powder ammo back then obviously just wanting to make sure say regular LR ammo will be safe to use.

The Flobert I action was used on inexpensive Anschutz models. Part of the stamping visible in one of the pictures in the OP has "Cal. 22 long r". If the complete stamping is 22 long rifle, the firearm should be good for .22LR ammo. In this case it will have a rifled barrel, not a smoothbore which were often used on the Flobert 6mm or 9mm models.

Looks like a model # 1361 . Junior Varminter line ?
It may be a Model 1361 or something very similar. The "Junior Varminter" name was likely a product of American marketing. That name doesn't seem to have been in use elsewhere.

yes, you guys have solved the puzzle, it's spelled out .22 long rifle and has a rifled barrel, so from what you have said it should be ok with modern ammo. I will use regular lead standard load .22 and hope for the best. thanks to all who figured this out!!!

Reactions: ZG47A and Haney