• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Old Grey Ghost

RollingThunder51

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2009
U.S.A.
This is my old Jimmy Lile "Grey Ghost".

bioth.jpg

balance.jpg

asdasd.jpg

You rarely see good Lile's for sale and almost never see a "Grey Ghost". Back when seat belts weren’t mandatory, there were few choices for those who depended in part on their knife. It was a relatively short list with Kbar, Randall, Lile, Cordovas, Martin, etc. People who bought them needed only one knife...not 10...just one perfect knife to carry with them.

Jimmy Lile designed the famous "Grey Ghost" as a tool. The blade is 1/4" D2 tool steel, perfectly tempered. 6 1/4" blade, 11 1/2" overall length. Green/Grey/Black Micarta handles, Brass handle stud, brass threading tubes (to lace it to a spear shaft). Individual finger grooves that make this the most comfortable knife I have ever held. There is more work in finishing of the handle then many knife have in all of them. The whole knife is bead blasted, reducing all glare and providing the unique characteristics that earned it it's name "Grey Ghost". When the 1 lb 3 oz gets moving, one can stick this knife right through almost anything.You can hammer this knife into a cinderblock wall and hang off a strap all night long if that is what is required. Some loved the weight, others hated it. For me, once you got used to it, everything else seemed, well, less. I’ve had a lot of knives over the years, being in the business, having makers as friends, I’ve had more than my fair share. The Grey Ghost went with.

When the time came to buy one good knife for my son, Jimmy was already well gone and the shop, after struggling for a number of years, closed their doors as well. What to do? I asked those that are still around if they would make one for my son, most said yes, but as the years slipped by, it became pretty clear that they all meant well, but there was every probability that no knife would be forth coming. Then came Newton Martin and his willingness to make one more Gray Ghost. Martin Knives of Caddo Mills, TX has been at this trade a long time. The work coming out of the shop is fine. Here is a perfect copy, done out in S30v, and it just shines. Sharpened false edge, shaped “old ivory” micarta, nickel bolsters, black liner, Eze-Lap, oil sheath. A note to those that care, notice the balance of both knives on one finger. If the weight of the blade is to disappear, the kife must be in balance at the hilt. Some care others don't. Lile did and so does Martin. As a result, this is a fast knife either in the hand or out. Take out your favorite knife and (holding it firmly) "wag" it fast in the air (hand stays in one place, tip straight up, rapidly torque the knife side-to-side) if you can feel the tip or the handle you knife isn't in balance. This designs balance is provided by removing material at the finger grooves until the knife just cranks. Knock out work and only $115 more than I paid Jimmy all those years ago.

This is not a Jimmy Lile “Grey Ghost” but as Jimmy would have said “no matter.”

GGMARTIN.jpg

FINGERMARTIN.jpg

2MARTIN.jpg

BACKMARTIN.jpg

Thought you guy might like to see it.

Re: Old Grey Ghost

I have a Grey ghost. What a hunk of steel !!!
Thanks for reminding me I have one......

Re: Old Grey Ghost

Just got an email from Martin. He's checking what he has in stock and is sending me more specs on it. I'll most likely order one and then make a custom leather sheath for it myself.