• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

tribalgunner60

Private
Minuteman
Apr 19, 2014
GA
Hello Everybody,

I am brand new to the sport of long-range (mostly a bow hunter kinda guy) and I am overwhelmed with all the information I've Googled, Binged, and Yahoo'd but thank goodness I was recommended to this forum by a friend. First of all, I really appreciate everything I've found here but so far I haven't found anything on my scope (Swarovski Habicht 3-12x50). Long story short, I picked up a Weatherby Accumark V in .300 Win Mag as a little post-deployment gift for myself. I wasn't in the market for something that large of a caliber but a guy at work was selling and I figured it would of been un-American of me to not take her of his hands. Anyways, after some asking around, I was told by a reputable source from the local shop to sight the rifle at 200 yards and leave it. What I didn't understand was why he mentioned that the scope was only good to 300-350 yards max and anything more that that I would have to hold over the target.

As of now I have some Hornady and Winchester 150 grain to help sight her in. So here's where I need help. In the long run, I would like to take full advantage of that rifle and her capabilities but don't know where/how to start. I was planning on keeping that scope on her and shooting the 150's just so I can sight her in 200 yards as suggested. What are other suggestions would you guys suggest? What optics/reticle should I focus my research on if I decide to sell the scope to match the rifle?

Thank you,
Tribalgunner60

Attachments

• DSCN1117.jpg
    DSCN1117.jpg
    671 KB · Views: 32
long range means something different to every shooter. Your scope at 12 x will be the weakest point of your rig. You need to forget "long range" for the time being and learn basic rifle principles from some recognized source besides a "reputable source". I would suggest spending a lot of time with a much smaller and affordable caliber along with the book or video help you use. The march to long range comes in a straight line of experience in a given order and not bits picked up.

I also suggest using no more caliber than needed to do a certain task that you have ahead of you. If shooting holes in paper, do it cheaply and without discomfort and move up as your skill allows.Unless you are shooting barns, longer ranges often means much higher and stronger optics which means the growth up in weapons AND optics makes for costly steps so make them carefully and not based on what deals present themselves.
This is a science and if you do not approach it as such, you will have tough sledding and likely walk away from it disappointed.

We all stand ready to help you.

I also suggest using no more caliber than needed to do a certain task that you have ahead of you. If shooting holes in paper, do it cheaply and without discomfort and move up as your skill allows.Unless you are shooting barns, longer ranges often means much higher and stronger optics which means the growth up in weapons AND optics makes for costly steps so make them carefully and not based on what deals present themselves.
This is a science and if you do not approach it as such, you will have tough sledding and likely walk away from it disappointed.

We all stand ready to help you.[/QUOTE]

long range means something different to every shooter. Your scope at 12 x will be the weakest point of your rig. You need to forget "long range" for the time being and learn basic rifle principles from some recognized source besides a "reputable source". I would suggest spending a lot of time with a much smaller and affordable caliber along with the book or video help you use. The march to long range comes in a straight line of experience in a given order and not bits picked up.

We all stand ready to help you.

That's a good point, "Your scope at 12 x will be the weakest point of your rig. You need to forget 'long range' for the time being and learn basic rifle principles from some recognized source besides a 'reputable source'." But please consider, I do have plenty of other calibers that I am very familiar/comfortable with and this is not my first weapon. The reason why I purchased the .300 is to challenge myself and to step out of my comfort zone. I also wanted a .300 for long range hunting out west (trying to get orders again or retire in CO), so I would like to learn everything from any source available such as forums like these, local gun shops, and most importantly, face-to-face interaction. Additionally, another reason why I took to "long range" was because I enjoy the intricacies and science that goes into the bullet weights/drops/weather/overall personal and equipment factors that are required to reach out to the 200+ range. I look forward to becoming an active member of this forum and enjoying all the info that is provided.

Last edited: