• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old M1A Rifle

mpd809

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2008
Western NC
I am getting an old M1A rifle issued to me to carry on duty. Do they still make parts so I can update this rifle to today's standards. It has an old wood stock I would like to up grade so it would not be so heavy. I am also Getting a Colt 1911 that was made in 1945 as an off duty weapon, was also wondering if they made up dated kits for one of these like new springs and night sites. Thanks for any info.

Re: Old M1A Rifle

Don't change anything on 1911 unless it is malfunctioning which I rather doubt it will. Especially don't change springs.

What is serial number range of M1A. I have one in 1800 range still going just fine. Got my Distinguished Badge with it.

Are these weapons through the gov't surplus program? I know our office runs that program for our state. I'm not 100% familiar with the gov't program, but I think there may be some limits to what you can change on them. I'd agree, if either isn't broke, don't fix it. I can't afford some of the nicer M14/M1A stock packages out there. I ended up going with a stock fiberglass stock and a Karstens cheek rest. Comfortable enough to shoot with a scope, but not my ideal fix.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MPD806</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do they still make parts so I can update this rifle to today's standards.

It has an old wood stock I would like to up grade so it would not be so heavy.</div></div>

Look no further than Smith Enterprise, Inc. for new parts.
http://www.smithenterprise.com/products03.html

Does the M1A have any USGI parts (barrel, trigger group, bolt or op rod)?

How "heavy" is your wooden stocked M1A?

If you indeed got this through a Government Surplus program.....don't change anything major out, unless it's broken & needs to be fixed. Our Dept. got 9 rifles under this program & with this agreement, the Government must be able to show up & collect the rifles at will in original condition......

If it's from the government wound it be an M-14? When did the Federal Gov. own M1As? Even without the fun switch it would still be an M-14.

Jerry