• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old Member Back

OldSWAT644

Private
Minuteman
Apr 3, 2023
Ohio
Well been probably a decade or so since I was here. My old user name was Zebra 644. To give you an indication the Viper Skins for the AICS was just coming out and MEGA 10 was hottest in the semi auto .308 platform.

I learned a lot from the guys here and at that time I had a Armalite Super SASS and a Remington 700 in a AICS chassis think I bought the chassis from Mile High?

Had a lot of things happen since then. I am still a LEO but I was hit by a car on a traffic stop so no more SWAT after that can’t run like I used to best run time is a 3 mile run in 36 minutes on the treadmill mill now twice a week. So I sold off all my equipment and well after the times have changed I think I’m about to get back into the 308 game. I’m looking at more recreational style 2-500 yard and just to have a decent bolt gun just incase.

I wanted to see what the general consensus is with the Bergara B-14 HMR specifically the wilderness with the spiraled bolt and muzzle break. I don't like the Sig Cross and I’m iffy with the Ruger Precision. The You Tube gun guys say a lot of positive about the B-14 HMR. I can not justify a 300 win mag as I’ll probably never ever shoot the distance and I don’t reload. The plan is to use decent equipment such as an atlas bipod, a FFP Vortex or the likes a good mount and rings.

Welcome back. I feel your pain. I hit a pole back in 2012 after a car pulled out infront of me. Oct 25 2022 they replaced my shoulder with all metal reverse joint. Life has changed as this is a career ender. The department has told me they have nothing for me. So retirement here I come. I really like my AT in 308 and I just got a barrel in 6BR to play with. Also had Kenneth at Desert Precision build me a 6ARC and have alot of fun with it.

Reactions: OldSWAT644
No experience with the Bergara but I have handled a friends Tikka and it was nice so I'd throw them in the mix for a factory rifle. I had a Howa previously and it was not bad, just my preferences changed.

I’ll second the Tikka CTR in .308. I’m not discounting the Bergara but I think the Tikka best it in many ways.

My Bergara has been a fantastic rifle, it's easy to shoot sub MOA with several different factory loads and hand loads. By far the easiest rifle I've owned for developing hand loads, everything from 130gr. SMK to heavy 153.5gr. Bergers. Mine is a Premier in 6.5CM that I've had the barrel cut to 20" and installed in a CADEX Dual Strike. My next non custom bolt action rifle will be another Bergara and I've been on the lookout for a B-14R at the pawn shops to add to the collection.

VCyhluB.jpg

SlVbK7W.jpg

Bergara makes a good rifle, but look at the Pro/Premiere model. You get a great Triggertech trigger, fluted stainless bolt, and a smoother action. I had one in 6 CM that I sold when I got my BRA. Much nicer than the standard HMR.