• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old People Precision Rimfire

BillOH

Private
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2017
Ohio
Both NRL22 and PRS22 have rules to allow Old Guys to shoot from alternative positions because of physical limitations.

What allowances have you seen. I'm not as flexible as I used to be. If I have to go prone, you might as well throw a pillow down there with me, because I'm going to be there for a while. I can't raise my head enough to see the sights anyway. ;)

I'm curious what you have seen at matches. There is some talk about starting an Old Guys Outlaw match at a local range where props will be used, but modified for all shooters. Maybe props on top of benches where nobody has to go low.

Since this is going to be an outlaw match we can make props to allow the less agile shooters be able to shoot without causing physical damage.

It seems we can move many of the props to something like bench level and make the moves be less severe. Everybody will be shooting the same match since it will be designed that way.

Some of the NRL OG/Adaptive Recommendations looked OK put some were impossible for us.

The Match Director made some props that are similar to what are used in NRL22, but they will be raised and clamped to the top of a concrete shooting bench to keep us from needing to go low.

IMG_8279.jpg
IMG_8280.jpg

A buddy has hosted some matches and we get a few guys in their 60's and 70's even had a gentleman in his 80's attend and shot a 03A3 with irons (and did quite well).

It's always been about having fun and getting people to come shoot. So if you have some limitations from age, injury or both. Shooting from what you can do is acceptable for the stage. Had the old timers shoot off a bench, wheel chair wheeled up to a table. What ever is comfortable for them.

These were not fast paced prize table matches; but still there was competition and trophies. The larger matches I've been too, seem to weed out the older and injured. Still some older guys but I haven't seen many that didn't shoot the stage as prescribed.

The three NRL clubs I've shot at were pretty accommodating to new shooters, OG and "adaptive" class shooters. The spirit of the stage instruction was kept to, but when things are impossible for someone such as support side stages and being blind in one eye they have to go off script so to speak.

Good to see someone pushing the envelope to keep people involved. (y)

I’ve contemplated offering to host such an event, but can’t think of more than a couple of people who would try it. Would you travel to attend such an event?
Just because the limit is on mobility, doesn’t mean it needs to be a cake-walk. Starting in position with reduced stage times, barricade transitions limited to standing/leaning positions only, but with more target transitions, and either longer ranges or smaller targets.
And screw the “old guy” moniker, you wouldn’t call a game the kids, or girl’s game, and the disabled (regardless of reasons) need to know there is ZERO reason to give up and not compete. In a world where people look for excuses to not challenge or test themselves, we need competitions that still make you strive, regardless of how tough it feels. Going home sore, but with a smile, trumps a day in the recliner every time.

I’ve contemplated offering to host such an event, but can’t think of more than a couple of people who would try it. Would you travel to attend such an event?
Just because the limit is on mobility, doesn’t mean it needs to be a cake-walk. Starting in position with reduced stage times, barricade transitions limited to standing/leaning positions only, but with more target transitions, and either longer ranges or smaller targets.
And screw the “old guy” moniker, you wouldn’t call a game the kids, or girl’s game, and the disabled (regardless of reasons) need to know there is ZERO reason to give up and not compete. In a world where people look for excuses to not challenge or test themselves, we need competitions that still make you strive, regardless of how tough it feels. Going home sore, but with a smile, trumps a day in the recliner every time.
Well you don’t know till you try. I can say that when I drop something on the floor in my shot I struggle to get down then back up.
My dad used to say “Getting old is easy. Staying old is a problem “

Not just "old guys", but "banged up guys" have the same issues. I think I have more metal in me then a new Chevrolet....not that it is hard to do that.

I did quite a few different handgun games, and go to where I could not finish the stages as I could not move that fast....or feel safe to move that fast, hips shot is one of the many issues. I also have a real issue leaning my head back far enough to see if I am prone. I do practice it however, off an 8' long wooden table that I can just basically "roll on and off".

Hard to find games to play. Years ago I did bowling pins and you don't have to move for that, but it is not that popular around here anymore.

Would I (near age 70, ate up with arthritis, limited ROM with damaged right leg) travel for a "seniors match?" Yes. Would and did (90 miles each way). Coleman's Creek (near Ellerbe, NC) hosted such an event last fall; I had pushed hard for it and several of my 60s- and 70s-age shooting buddies said they'd go for it. Then all but one of them then decided not to attend :mad:. Only 15 people showed up - I was actually surprised the event wasn't canceled. But we all had fun. If CC runs the match again, I'll go... but I'll be surprised if they do. Maybe the match needs to be re-branded - read on.

In a world where people look for excuses to not challenge or test themselves, we need competitions that still make you strive, regardless of how tough it feels. Going home sore, but with a smile, trumps a day in the recliner every time.
With all due respect - and I am perfectly willing to be corrected if I'm wrong here - I daresay OP is well shy of "old" (65 or over), has no permanent debilitating injury, and/or has never experienced chronic joint pain.

It's one thing to "go home sore" because of physical exercise. It's quite another to go home barely able to walk or shaking numb hands from forcing an arthritic spine around some of the "rifle yoga" props common to PRS. Damaged joint pain is a different beast than muscle ache.

So back to the Coleman's Creek seniors match - were the stages more senior-friendly than other PRS / PRS-style matches in the region? Absolutely. Did the 30- or 40-something MD consult any actual seniors when planning the stages? I doubt it, because he had stages that required shooting prone or from the knees. I didn't personally have any trouble with them (if I stay prone too long, my hands will go numb and my neck will hurt for days), but some of the guys I thought would attend would have refused to even try to get prone or shoot from kneeling, regardless of whether the rifle was supported on a table.
-------
At the end of it, my assumption is that MDs want to put on events that draw a crowd that wants to come back over & over. If that means catering only to the young and physically fit, fine - I don't want any match "dumbed down" to accommodate my physical limitations. As long as I can follow most of the "published" COF for my region's PRS matches with no accommodation for my personal limitations, I will.

My vision of a "seniors match" isn't so much an age thing as simply having a COF that does NOT require a lot of on-the-clock movement or prone or kneeling... for all that, just run the thing from the bench (or prone, for those who prefer) with PRS target sets. Multiple targets, tiny targets, whatever, and all ages welcome.

Such a match might better be labeled as "high challenge, limited movement, all ages welcome."

With all due respect - and I am perfectly willing to be corrected if I'm wrong here - I daresay OP is well shy of "old" (65 or over), has no permanent debilitating injury, and/or has never experienced chronic joint pain.

My vision of a "seniors match" isn't so much an age thing as simply having a COF that does NOT require a lot of on-the-clock movement or prone or kneeling... for all that, just run the thing from the bench (or prone, for those who prefer) with PRS target sets. Multiple targets, tiny targets, whatever, and all ages welcome.

Such a match might better be labeled as "high challenge, limited movement, all ages welcome."
Sorry. :) I'm 77 with a bad back and X-Rays to prove it. I've had joint pain for the last 20 years. I have "joint du jour". A different joint hurts each day. ;) I used to shoot a lot of IDPA before Covid shut it down around here. Standard practice was to take 2 ibuprofen just before I got to the match.

MD is about my age and recovering from back surgery. Several of the regulars have similar issues.

We already have @Topstrap's match shooting from a bench and a few others around. We're just looking for another challenge.

All comments are welcome. We wonder if we are starting something new or if others have tried things like this.

First match is April 22 in Eastern Ohio. A 3 card ABRA match followed by this old guy/whatever precision style match. Come on down. :)

Reactions: lash and Milo 2.5
Sorry. :) I'm 77 with a bad back and X-Rays to prove it.
Apologies, sir, I misspoke. I was responding to @obx22's comments, not your original post... old age confusion on my part perhaps...

The more I think about this situation, the more I think advertising something around "high challenge low movement" is a better approach than "seniors match." I'm happy, even eager to compete with/against anyone - regardless of age - based on marksmanship skill, not athletic capability.

To be clear, I do enjoy most of the "rifle yoga" PRS stages - but I am simply not capable of building and holding a stable position from kneeling or on a low prop, and I time out on go-prone-shoot-get-up-move... stages because it takes me an hour to get down and a day to get back up. Longer par times at some matches last year helped that but I still timed out on the shoot-move-shoot stages.

I still believe that there is a financial incentive for range operators/MDs to cater to folks with $$$, time, and interest but are stymied by the physical component of regular PRS (and, like me, are pretty meh about shooting at a black dot on a piece of paper).

Last edited:
Apologies, sir, I misspoke. I was responding to @obx22's comments, not your original post... old age confusion on my part perhaps...

The more I think about this situation, the more I think advertising "high challenge low movement all ages" is a better approach than "seniors match." I'm happy, even eager to compete with/against anyone - regardless of age - based on marksmanship skill, not athletic capability.

To be clear, I do enjoy most of the "rifle yoga" PRS stages - but I am simply not capable of building and holding a stable position from kneeling or on a low prop, and I time out on go-prone-shoot-get-up-move... stages because it takes me an hour to get down and a day to get back up. Longer par times at some matches last year helped that but I still timed out on the shoot-move-shoot stages.

I still believe that there is a financial incentive for range operators/MDs to cater to folks with $$$, time, and interest but are stymied by the physical component of regular PRS (and, like me, are pretty meh about shooting at a black dot on a piece of paper).
Well here’s the deal. We want to let anyone who wants to shoot SHOOT
I’m building stages the are as close to the basic PRS stages only from bench tops. If there is a folding chair back to shoot from on the ground then I’ll have a modified one on the bench. Same thing for shooting off of a tire. I’ll have one on the bench.
We can go out to 500 yards for the brave ones among us.
If you want to come play just show up. I’ll even let you use my rifle.
We are in the 43950 zip code area
10 covered 50 yd benches for ARA and ABRA Give me a call if you want to shoot or just come watch
Keith 740-213-8260

Apologies, sir, I misspoke.

The more I think about this situation, the more I think advertising something around "high challenge low movement" is a better approach than "seniors match." I'm happy, even eager to compete with/against anyone - regardless of age - based on marksmanship skill, not athletic capability.
Apology accepted, however not needed. I don't get upset easily. ;)

Several have said they don't like the "Old" title. Suggestions are needed for what to call this. The plan is for this to be a one off local Outlaw match.

Reactions: obx22
We started our own senior and kid friendly match's with just 3 of us. Within the season, we finished our last match with 15 shooters ( with many of them smitten enough to be buying better .22's :)). As for traveling, I have no issue traveling 75 mi to attend a match as long as the course of fire is interesting and friendly. I gladly go when I get the chance. I can tell you from experience, the key to getting new shooters is to advertise the event well . Fliers sent to gun clubs, posted on ranges/ websites and gun shops help. my other advice is to start reasonably simple and move to complexity as your shooters feel comfortable. Keep it fun and they will be back.

"Seasoned Citizen" like Gunsite has labeled some
We started our own senior and kid friendly match's with just 3 of us. Within the season, we finished our last match with 15 shooters ( with many of them smitten enough to be buying better .22's :)). As for traveling, I have no issue traveling 75 mi to attend a match as long as the course of fire is interesting and friendly. I gladly go when I get the chance. I can tell you from experience, the key to getting new shooters is to advertise the event well . Fliers sent to gun clubs, posted on ranges/ websites and gun shops help. my other advice is to start reasonably simple and move to complexity as your shooters feel comfortable. Keep it fun and they will be back.
Great advice.
Our plan is to do as you have suggested. It takes time to play a new game. We want to start out on paper because it gives the best and worst out of a rifle setup. Some shooters might not know the amount of elevation to get to 150/200 yds. We figured the first couple of matches would be a learning experience for some.

Great advice.
Our plan is to do as you have suggested. It takes time to play a new game. We want to start out on paper because it gives the best and worst out of a rifle setup. Some shooters might not know the amount of elevation to get to 150/200 yds. We figured the first couple of matches would be a learning experience for some.
My further 2 cents ( that can be taken or ignored): I'm going to say that some shooters won't have the gear to get to 200 yds . That's going to take a rail with MOA and a better quality scope that some newbies with interest may not have in their first match. ( Once they are hooked, they will upgrade!) I'd suggest keeping it in the 50-100 yd ( maybe 150 for tiebreakers) so that someone with the scoped 10/22 they already own can at least get in the game and hit a few things. I'm also going to suggest that you get some reactive targets involved. Paper is OK but Steel is GREAT . Particularly 1-3" swingers, KYL racks and Dueling tree's. Most if this stuff is cheap in small quantities. We integrate lolly pops and other "exploding" targets into every ( 50-100 yd) match too. (NOTHING brings the kid out in a shooter like watching stuff come apart.) A set up where you can run 2-4 shooters at a time helps too. You can do things within that distance to spice things up.
Example of a simplified stage: Maybe set up a 2 or 3" start/stop gong at 100 yds then a KYL at 50. 10 rounds/ 10 points. 2 min timer. Must hit start gong to proceed to KYL . Quit the KYL at any point but must go back and hit the stop gong to save your points. This set-up will require holdover changes (twice), shot/hit counting by the shooter, and the decision on when to quit the kyl and go back for the stop gong. Simple but this kind of "strategy" game gets inside peoples heads to make it seem harder but is still within everyone's equipment limits IF they know their gear and do their part. :cool: Most of all, have fun with it!

Last edited:
Another idea to help generate interest and maybe get someone off the fence; have a clinic to demonstrate what's needed and is possible. Help attendees figure out what they and their gear can do.

Reactions: BWoody and BillOH
Not just "old guys", but "banged up guys" have the same issues. I think I have more metal in me then a new Chevrolet....not that it is hard to do that.

I did quite a few different handgun games, and go to where I could not finish the stages as I could not move that fast....or feel safe to move that fast, hips shot is one of the many issues. I also have a real issue leaning my head back far enough to see if I am prone. I do practice it however, off an 8' long wooden table that I can just basically "roll on and off".

Hard to find games to play. Years ago I did bowling pins and you don't have to move for that, but it is not that popular around here anymore.

not as popular as it was in say the 50’s,60’s,early 70’s but bullseye pistol would be a good option for you. Stand in one place and shoot a pistol one handed.

Reactions: lash
Several have said they don't like the "Old" title
Well, boo-hoo for those. If you are old you are old so own it. My whiskers are white, my hair is silver, and I hobble around to get where I am going but I am rather proud of being able to do so. To anyone that gigs me about my age I just tell them, "If you are lucky you will be the same some day. If you aren't you won't know about it". I feel like having lived over 8 1/2 decades still upright and going is something to be proud of, not ashamed of.

Both NRL22 and PRS22 have rules to allow Old Guys to shoot from alternative positions because of physical limitations.

What allowances have you seen. I'm not as flexible as I used to be. If I have to go prone, you might as well throw a pillow down there with me, because I'm going to be there for a while. I can't raise my head enough to see the sights anyway. ;)
You too?

Shooting in prone is really rather painful. Can’t get my head up anywhere near enough. Yes I can but it hurts. Now, I don’t have problems getting up but getting down is not fun

When i was a kid (back in 1965-66 and for quite a few years later) I could shoot darn fine groups prone. Pretty much because, we shot out in the country in places where we knew we had a safe backstop. Shooting benches, shooting bags, even slings were non existent, except for the slings, never saw one (except in pictures) Lay down, hold up the forearm with your off side arm, supported by your elbow, and shoot.

I might be tempted to shoot those matches regularly if I was able to shoot mod prone instead of prone, no offside and not having to get too contorted. But then I am asking to much.

Reactions: BillOH
1673816117104.png

all the rifle you should ever need ( to kill squirrels ) and sing davy crocket theme song while your out hunting bar oh and a coonskin cap .

Tagged for info.

I am interested in getting into competitive shooting but my disabilities have kept me from doing so. I got banged up while in the Army and have to use a cane now.

Plus there aren't a lot of matches that I could find close to me here in rural Missouri.

Reactions: BillOH
Two of our local-ish clubs have begun holding "Tactical Benchrest" (TB) matches alongside their PRS/MARS matches. The TB matches shoot the exact same targets, distances and sequences as the PRS/MARS course of fire, but the shooters are seated at a bench (a portable but stable bench that is moved from stage to stage). This is already proving quite popular for older, kids and disabled shooters, as well as newbies that want to work on their dope and precision skills without the moving around. Several are already "graduating" to the regular COF. Scores from TB shooters are kept separate and are not submitted to the PRS/MARS sanctioning body. Google "tactical benchrest MARS" for more info.

Two of our local-ish clubs have begun holding "Tactical Benchrest" (TB) matches alongside their PRS/MARS matches. The TB matches shoot the exact same targets, distances and sequences as the PRS/MARS course of fire, but the shooters are seated at a bench (a portable but stable bench that is moved from stage to stage). This is already proving quite popular for older, kids and disabled shooters, as well as newbies that want to work on their dope and precision skills without the moving around. Several are already "graduating" to the regular COF. Scores from TB shooters are kept separate and are not submitted to the PRS/MARS sanctioning body. Google "tactical benchrest MARS" for more info.

Outstanding Sir
You have hit the nail on the head. This is exactly what we are striving for
THANK YOU

Nice rifles but make mine a model 12 Remington.
View attachment 8048462
all the rifle you should ever need ( to kill squirrels ) and sing davy crocket theme song while your out hunting bar oh and a coonskin cap .

No squirrels in my area except the ground kind that dig holes under everything and I did away with a bunch of them as a kid on a farm with that model 12. Lots more crop eating pests succumbed to it's bark too. I still have it and it's just as accurate today as it was back then. Now that I no longer need glasses I can use the iron sights again.

Reactions: acudaowner
Gymnasiums have a program called "Silver Sneakers" for those over 65.

I took a bit of a walk between rain showers tonight and did some thinking about this. I though classes might be set up like Senior Olympic classes….then came the light bulb moment. This, could be incorporated into Senior Olympics. Most states already have a pretty watered down .22 handgun and rifle event. This, could be a major upgrade. An outside sponsor would be needed and possibly a multi-state cooperative effort.

My first thought was Altus. Nicely located between Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. Arkansas would be another location, serving, Arkansas, eastern Tennessee and Kentucky, Missouri, Northern Mississippi and Louisiana and Oklahoma. ,

What ya’ll think?

I took a bit of a walk between rain showers tonight and did some thinking about this. I though classes might be set up like Senior Olympic classes….then came the light bulb moment. This, could be incorporated into Senior Olympics. Most states already have a pretty watered down .22 handgun and rifle event. This, could be a major upgrade. An outside sponsor would be needed and possibly a multi-state cooperative effort.

My first thought was Altus. Nicely located between Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and Louisiana. Arkansas would be another location, serving, Arkansas, eastern Tennessee and Kentucky, Missouri, Northern Mississippi and Louisiana and Oklahoma. ,

What ya’ll think?
That would be great IF you were looking for a full time job navigating all the red tape and BS that will be thrown at you from the large (and political) organization that runs it. Seriously, my advice is to start small and stick to things within your control. Everyone will be happier for your efforts.

Thanks for that information. I've studied those photos several times.

Much thanks for the info.

We're going to do a dry run of this on Saturday March 25 at Powerline Range near St Clairsville Ohio. We'll have some NRL/PRS 22 type stages set up where you can shoot off the props or a portable bench set up beside the stage. All shooters will shoot the same targets. Bring your own 22 LR rifle or loaners with ammo will be provided at each stage. Targets for the stages will be steel from 50 yards out to 150 yards or so.

We will also have some random steel for beginners to shoot at without needing to shoot the regular match stages.

I think there will also be some ARA 22 50 yard benchrest set up for anybody interested. Powerline runs sanctioned ARA shoots.

I shoot with a couple guys who are older. One has a hard time getting into prone and can't lift his head to get behind the scope right. Most stages can be made easier with getting the props up higher. can you make prone higher? maybe a picnic table on blocks or something similar where the shooter just kind of leans forward maybe around 45°? Most of the other stages can be changed/fixed. The NRL22 COF has the "old guy" recommendation given next to the rest of the info.

There comes a time! I'll be 84 in June, competed with the kids in my 70's, still shoot trap and killed and dressed 2 deer last fall. I've been blessed. But, with tin hips, a new aortic valve, a pacer and enough drugs to make me dizzy, the time has come. There are things I can't do! Can't pick up the second bird in skeet, never could hit anything offhand, looking into KYL for 22rf, it's off the bench so I can sit down. Can't walk down range because I forget where and why I'm going. Don't act my age because I've never been this old before. To quote Willie "surprised I'm still standing upright on the ground". Is it bourbon time, it's got to be 5:00 somewhere. But it beats the hell out of the alternative. "live each day like it's your last....because, one day, it will be.

Great thread. I am 66 and diabetic with poor eyesight, albeit corrected. I am blessed to be able to deal with the positional stuff, albeit slower with the young guys. I only started the nrl22 thing last spring, but being full time in RV shot in TX, AZ and UT this winter. All of the matches I learned something (mostly about me and my gun) and now shooting middle of the pack. I attended my first old timers match a couple of weeks ago and won. This was a thrill, but I really want to see better results from myself when shooting with younger shooters. At least until I cant.

...but I really want to see better results from myself when shooting with younger shooters. At least until I cant.
Had an interesting range-side conversation recently with a guy who I used to see at matches I attended, but did not see him at any last year. He said burned out on PRS; the drive to compete is mostly gone.

I get that; I used to live to shoot skeet every.single.weekend year-round and compete in shoots across the region... until the fire just went out along with my lumbar spine (which surgery really helped).

But his comment that really hit me: "I don't work to improve anymore. I work to keep what [skill/capability] I have."

My PRS scores are better than they were when I started five+ years ago, but not much. My marksmanship has markedly improved, but arthritis has advanced and offsets whatever new positional skills I've acquired. [shrug] There are some reasonably senior-friendly rimfire matches around to enjoy, and maybe a venue or two will start regular senior-friendly centerfire competitions. Hey MDs, here's a buncha geezers with time and $$$ to spend...

I wanted to get into this so badly, built up a rifle, bought a ton of different ammo to see what it likes, new scope with reticle adjustment down to 25yds. Put it together, take to range and shes a laser. Local club has an Appleseed shoot, let me try that I said, using my 10/22. After a few hours, fingers started tingling, nerve issues in neck, decide to push through, until fingers were completely numb, had to call it a day. A year later, still some loss of sensation in fingers, come to realize I’m too busted up to enjoy it. Disappointed, as was looking forward to matches and such, have to stick to hunting and bench shooting.

Isn't ageing great! Remember the Clint Eastwood quote "don't let the old guy in" If somebody would have video taped me butchering my deer last fall it would make you limp!

downhillfromhere, your friend was spot on and I am just realizing it....I don't shoot to improve, I shoot to just "hang in there". I am at that point where the gun has to put them all in one hole because I sure can't. Having good luck with my 22lr Contender carbine with a custom barrel and match chamber, but after about 30 minutes the eye strain was taking the fun out of it.

billoh, tell me more about Tactical Bench Rest. Are you using paper targets? I have made my own KYL targets and shoot a 25, 50, 100 and plan on 200, all BR . Our club is going to start NRL but I don't think I can compete, it's no fun stumbling around.

Reactions: Scottso
Isn't ageing great! Remember the Clint Eastwood quote "don't let the old guy in" If somebody would have video taped me butchering my deer last fall it would make you limp!

downhillfromhere, your friend was spot on and I am just realizing it....I don't shoot to improve, I shoot to just "hang in there". I am at that point where the gun has to put them all in one hole because I sure can't. Having good luck with my 22lr Contender carbine with a custom barrel and match chamber, but after about 30 minutes the eye strain was taking the fun out of it.

billoh, tell me more about Tactical Bench Rest. Are you using paper targets? I have made my own KYL targets and shoot a 25, 50, 100 and plan on 200, all BR . Our club is going to start NRL but I don't think I can compete, it's no fun stumbling around.
Sadly took the best years off the back of my life lol, construction, and MC crashes will do that to a man

This is going to be all hanging steel. No paper.

This is going to be a learn as you go for us. Scroll up in the thread and somebody posted a link to pictures. They have a bunch of pictures that show what they are doing.

What we are planning is to just set up an NRL22 type match with the normal props. Right beside the props, we will have a portable bench with a seat. You can shoot the normal NRL stage from the props or you can shoot the same target array from the bench. To start we're going to allow the bench shooter to use a bipod and rear bag. The shooter is still going to have to adjust for different size and distance targets just like the regular competitors. We'll know more after Saturday. :)

We're going to set up 4 different stages to test different things. We have several portable benches, so there won't be any time wasted.

I think this is going to be fun. With regular benchrest, you adjust for one distance and shoot a bunch of shots. This will have the shooter deciding whether to dial, hold over, adjust bags etc. between shots.

I've wrecked a couple of horses and outgrew racing without a major injury. Most of my problems are age related. My trigger finger is so bent from arthritis that I lockup a accu-trigger every other shot. When I start a project the first tool I get is a chair.

I've wrecked a couple of horses and outgrew racing without a major injury. Most of my problems are age related. My trigger finger is so bent from arthritis that I lockup a accu-trigger every other shot. When I start a project the first tool I get is a chair.

My issue with my hands are my thumbs. I guess there is something that attaches to the inside of your thumb near the base of the index finger. I guess that ligament keeps your thumb from bending all the way back. Turns out it will break bones before it will tear. I was told it was common with people who ski and the pole gets ripped out of their hand. I got knocked off a Kawasaki Versys by a deer. Now my thumbs don't really work well. Those trackball mice, forget about it.

If somebody would have video taped me butchering my deer last fall it would make you limp!
You mean, there are people who butcher your deer for you?

Actually, I killed a nice 8 point this fall and Brenda decided that for once, we had to take it to a deer processor. (I wanted him caped out to mount anyway). Normally, we choose smaller deer and do everything ourselves. Shoot em on Tuesday, skin/gut/quarter them, get em in the cooler, give it a couple of days and grind the burger, cut and wrap the back straps and filets, carve out the roasts and get it all in the freezer. A bit of work no doubt, but its all good, its all inexpensive and we know EXACTLY what we have. And that’s what we did on the first deer we harvested this fall.

Now, back to the subject at hand, I am capable of some positions, can, on a good day hit targets from a barricade, don’t even ask about shooting prone. (tried the pillow method, no joy) and would love to participate in one of these .22 old folks matches. Yes, I would brave the threat of D-1 firearms to get a PRS 22 up and runnin

Reactions: lash
This is going to be all hanging steel. No paper.

This is going to be a learn as you go for us. Scroll up in the thread and somebody posted a link to pictures. They have a bunch of pictures that show what they are doing.

What we are planning is to just set up an NRL22 type match with the normal props. Right beside the props, we will have a portable bench with a seat. You can shoot the normal NRL stage from the props or you can shoot the same target array from the bench. To start we're going to allow the bench shooter to use a bipod and rear bag. The shooter is still going to have to adjust for different size and distance targets just like the regular competitors. We'll know more after Saturday. :)

We're going to set up 4 different stages to test different things. We have several portable benches, so there won't be any time wasted.

I think this is going to be fun. With regular benchrest, you adjust for one distance and shoot a bunch of shots. This will have the shooter deciding whether to dial, hold over, adjust bags etc. between shots.

I can see myself enjoying this type of competitive shooting. NRL22 and PRS22 is most likely out of the question without any accommodations for disabilities.

It's kind of hard to run and gun or get into different positions with a cane.

Reactions: BillOH and Scottso
My issue with my hands are my thumbs. I guess there is something that attaches to the inside of your thumb near the base of the index finger. I guess that ligament keeps your thumb from bending all the way back. Turns out it will break bones before it will tear. I was told it was common with people who ski and the pole gets ripped out of their hand. I got knocked off a Kawasaki Versys by a deer. Now my thumbs don't really work well. Those trackball mice, forget about it.
This is a little off topic but not really. The thread is about old people shooting. ;)

Have you tried something like these exercise balls? I have a set sitting by my computer and exercise my hands while reading. It really helps my arthritis.

There's supposed to be a link to hand exercise balls on Amazon, but it's not showing up for me.

Last edited:
This is a little off topic but not really. The thread is about old people shooting. ;)

Have you tried something like these exercise balls? I have a set sitting by my computer and exercise my hands while reading. It really helps my arthritis.

There's supposed to be a link to hand exercise balls on Amazon, but it's not showing up for me.

According the the hand job guy....let me back up a sec....

When I got knocked off the bike I broke three ribs and both "thumbs". Oddly enough when I was getting the ribs looked at I asked about my thumbs hurting.....oh you need to go to another Dr for that, I only do center body stuff.....ahh what? So I go to the as I call it the hand job guy. It is not my thumb that is broken but the inside of my hand where the ligament attaches. I can't make a #4 with my fingers, my thumb will not tuck in to my palm. He said they could operate, but you still have X % use of your thumb and we could make it worse. Down the line you may need something but right now there is a good chance we will make it worse.

I passed. Now it is to the point where on most days it is in the group what I call I know it is there. It always "hurts" but not bad, you can deal. Then there is the issue of my back, and that I will not be what I call a human without some meds, including some stuff our .gov went to "war" on. I take that crap every day. I think one of the side benefits of that is it knocks the edge off the thumbs.

I have tried it before and it just makes it hurt more with more use. Anymore I just type for a living and hitting the spacebar with the thumb can really get me after a long report.

IMG_8730.jpg
IMG_8731.jpg

Getting things set up. We're going to have 4 or 5 stages to try out plus random targets people can shoot at. Weather report looks like it will be good. Everything is shot from under cover in case of rain. Stages can be shot from props or bench with bipod and rear bag. Shooters choice.

Getting things set up. We're going to have 4 or 5 stages to try out plus random targets people can shoot at. Weather report looks like it will be good. Everything is shot from under cover in case of rain. Stages can be shot from props or bench with bipod and rear bag. Shooters choice.
I think this is a good idea.

There is a lot of value for shooters in having you setup complex target arrays typical of a PRS match, without needing to actually shoot the PRS-positions. There is alot of value added in having a peer-group arranging the targets, keeping score, and keeping you on a clock for discipline.

If you are an 'old guy' / injured reserve guy reading this thread...I would encourage you attend.