• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Old reliable just got a face lift.

desertrat1979

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2006
Southern NV
So a while back I posted a shot of my Buck 110, still kicking, well abused, and sporting the original re-ground blade. The shorter blade (broke the tip a while back) just didn't seem right.

Before
july2012030.jpg

So, a little slimming on the bolsters, some homemade micarta, and some high carbon steel stock, some odds and ends...

After
374DD0F7-7CC7-4B08-9C72-B9149CD941A0-972-000001C1CD412D2C.jpg

As much as I love this knife, I never was a fan of the clip-point style. Seemed too weak. The drop points always held up for me. So there it is. Not perfect. Everything was done by hand, and after all, it is a working knife. Dont want it looking too purdy.

Re: Old reliable just got a face lift.

I think it looks pretty snazzy for a working knife. The black micarta grips give it a new look, that's for sure.

Re: Old reliable just got a face lift.

Looks good.

I'm very much into reworking existing workhorse knives for use. More than once, I've reshaped a blade and handles for one reason or the other.

I even like that interesting tang/grind intersection angle you've got on it.

If you ever want it to look prettier and have some inside time to kill by the fireplace or in front of TV, you can use emery cloth and ever-finer wet/dry sandpaper grits to make it look better. It won't make it work any better, so it's all about looks and if you care or not.

I've found that sometimes the winter months lend themselves to allowing time to spend on such stuff.