• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old reloads

cyclone

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 14, 2007
Florida
I have some 6 year old reloads that have been left in the gagrage. What is the best way to dispose of them? I doubt it would be safe too shoot them. One of the primer cups fell off exposing the primer insides.

Re: Old reloads

If you don’t have the equipment to Pull the rounds apart and don’t know anybody that can help you I would suggest turning the ammo over to your local PD or SD. They will gladly take the ammo from you and dispose of it safely. I have had to do this many times with ammo I have found at work and they always send a unit out to pick the ammo up and never ask any questions.

I have shot some surplus ammo that was over thirty years old.If you loaded it, and it was a safe load when it was loaded, Shoot it.

Inspect the remainning rounds & shoot them. I have reloads that i reloaded 20 years ago. They will shoot fine. I have shot ww1 45 ammo that shoots just fine also.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: flashhole</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why do you think they are not safe to shoot? </div></div>

Because they were in the garage for 6 years. Florida has some hot summers. I guess they are ok.

i'd shoot em if they look clean and you had shot them 6 years ago inspect the primers on them if all looks good shoot em

I have used some old 9mm. Some shot well some didn't. I'd think they would be fine if they stayed dry. Maybe watch for hangfires and squibs possibly if you shoot them.

As was said, if you loaded them safely, they should still be just fine.