• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing Old Remington 700 Scope Base Prob

nashlaw

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 16, 2006
manchester, tn
I have a 700 action that has no alphabetic prefix. When I put a Picatinny or Leupold one-piece base on it, the base flexes. It does not make contact with the front of the receiver when I tighten the rear base. I am making the assumption that this is one of the actions that needs a base different from the newer production 700's.

Who makes this type of base?

thanks,

david

Re: Old Remington 700 Scope Base Prob

No letter prefix would most likely be a pre 1974 receiver, this was about when Remington made the changes to the 700 action. You can make a new base work by shimming and possibly bedding the base to the action.

I have a Rem 700 LA with a serial number below 100,000 and no prefix. Using a Badger 1005-306-07, there is a gap that might be "0.001 at most between the base and rear of the receiver when only the front screws are torqued. When only the rear screws are torqued, there is no detectable gap between the front receiver ring and the base.

Bedding the base cures this problem. Shims will work too, but I think bedding is the better answer as it completely uniforms all contact surfaces between the base and receiver.

Good info SD.

Had my numbers in the wrong places. Meant to say 0.010 <span style="font-weight: bold">not 0.001</span>. Sorry for any confusion.

I was aware of the difference but didn't know that Badger made replica bases. Old actions have more "personality" than most folks are aware of.