• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old Remington 700's vs. the new ones?

Steve1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 31, 2014
Montana
I've always loved Remington 700's. I've never owned one that I couldn't get to shoot well. I remember the days when you could buy a new BDL for around $135. Well, those days are long gone. I'm considering buying another new one. Do the new ones shoot as well as the old ones? For a short time, I think Remington and Winchester both were doing stamped checkering on their old rifles. I never liked that much.

I like the old style safety that locks the bolt down, when on safe. That safety may now be considered not as safe, for whatever reason, but I liked it. Thanks for your thoughts on this....

I actually like the being able to open the bolt with the safety on especially with a fairly light trigger.
Having said that, I think 70's vintage guns after the stamped checkering days were over are the best Remington ever put out.

Don't discount the new ones, but they aren't near as consistent as they used to be.

I'm sure others will chime in on this issue. My opinions are my own and based on my own personal experience. I have owned several Rem 700's over the years. I currently have a Rem 700 BDL in Win 270. It was made in 1987 and has always been a good shooter. Over the past ten years, I have purchased two more Rem 700 SPS models. Both were new in box and neither were shooters. Same can be said of a Rem Model 7 in 243 made in 2006. None of those three rifles would consistently hold under 2 MOA. Near as I can tell - bad barrels. The Model 7 had three tight spots that you could feel when you pushed a tight patch down the bore. I did send the first of the two Rem 700's back to Remington, but got no love. They said the rifle was 'shooting within spec' and returned it as is. I parted out both of the SPS models and tried to recoup what I could from the action/trigger/bottom metal. I kept the Model 7, but it now wears a new Brux custom barrel and shoots "lights out".

So for me, the days of getting a shooter right out of the box from Remington are long gone. I do not believe this holds true for their upscale models like the Sendero, etc. Don't understand why they have let their quality slip so much on their lower priced guns. I have never been much of a Savage fan, but I currently own two of them. Both have been real shooters capable of punching three shot groups well under one MOA. One model is their cheapest. It is an Axis model in 243 and will print groups nearly as tight as the Model 7 with Brux barrel I mentioned above. That entire gun cost less than the Brux barrel. Say what you will about Savage - for the most part they are shooters. I hope to be able to one day say the same about Remington.

Thanks guys. I suspected that might be the case. Maybe I'd be better off buying a new old Remington or a new Savage.

I bought a Model 7 about 30 years ago. It has about an 18 inch barrel on it, in 243. My wife and kids have shot a ton of deer and antelope with it at closer ranges, but it doesn't shoot as flat or accurately as my other 700's.

I have a Rem700 BDL in 7mm Mag, and it was built on or about 1977. Has a 24" barrel and a 9.25 twist. Working on a load for it now. It was my dad's and has been the safe for years.
Took off the old 3x9 gold ring, and put a 10x SS on it. Going to see how it likes the berger 168VLD's. Hoping it will shoot at least 1 moa or better. Let you guys know how it does.

I've had good luck with all the 700's I've bought. I bought a special edition (hunting rifle) in 1994 and it shoots great. I also bought two 5R's about a year apart (2010 - 2011) and they are both capable of 1/2 moa with the right shooter behind the gun. The last 700 I bought was an SPS Tactical in .223. Even stock, this gun would shoot in the .6's and .7's with hand loads, about an inch with cheap factory ammo.

Based on my experiences, you should have no problems getting a new 700 to shoot well.