• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old school and new; better plan in the works

gunfixer

Private
Minuteman
Jan 24, 2010
'burbs of Savannah, Ga.
I have this Eagle Arms 20" HBAR which shoots basically through
the same hole at 100yds with the factory carry handle sight..

I decided to try a go at a 600yd rifle w/ a new Vortex 4-16 scope
and (Bad idea..) a set of Med. height Blackhawk rings mounted on
a Blackhawk rail extention.. I cannot depress my adjustment enough to
zero. I realize it has extra attaching points to cause problems, but it's what I
already had in my shop. I am likely to try the +3" Vortex 1 piece rig instead..
My next concern is "Ghosting" with a lower mount due to my front sight tree.

Any non-toxic suggestions will be greatly appreciated folks.!!
(Pics of your 20" rigs even BETTER)

(I do love these old school systems w/ a modern flair though.!!)

Attachments

• HBAR 15-A3.jpg
    HBAR 15-A3.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 7
Replace the mount with a basic cantilever one piece mount. Lowest grade I would go would be one of the Burris flavors if budget is a priority, but I personally prefer ADM, Nightforce and Badger. I'll admit I've never seen any of the Blackhawk rings or rails, but if it's like any of the rest of their gear it's stolen designs that are poorly reverse engineered and made by the lowest bidder in China to be sold at a massive markup. Fuck Blackhawk.

As for the front sight, cut it off and turn it into a nice low profile gas block or learn to live with the blur at the bottom of your image. It should disappear for the most part when at higher magnification though.

I wonder if your zeroing issues aren't a result of that bipod being loaded on that non free floating barrel/handguard setup you have. That would be my personal next step to fix that issue. Even better, build another upper and keep old school old. Parts right now are going at some of the cheapest prices we've seen since pre-Newtown.

Thanks Redm - I am either going to go w/ an Armalite 30mm or the +3" Vortex mount and put away the
Blackhawk stuff; ordering one or the other today, likely whichever is aluminum and of course is available.
I have removed the front sight post to get a little less optic "Clutter.."
The Bipods not the issue since I had only installed it for the pic.
I believe I'm getting a "Hidden Free Floater"; Rock River and DPMS make DCM Competition, Free Floating handguards that look
just like the standard handguards.

Last edited: