• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

old school build what caliber?

banshee sws

Tennessee Pusher
Supporter
Minuteman
Sep 9, 2002
Colorado
www.thepracticalrifleman.com
okay

from a friend , and fellow hide member,

i am getting a 1970's model, Winchester 70 long action
its an original 22-250 varmint , walnut stock,

but i thought of doing either

30-06 or a 6.5x55swede

or .308

i have the reloading stuff (bullets, brass, dies, etc., for .308)

i do not have 30-06 nor 6.5x55swede , no biggie there though

really leaning towards the 6.5x55 . . .

not sure why but it seems to 'fit' the idea of the classic winie long action

thoughts ?

thanks

george

Re: old school build what caliber?

I just hate to put more than a few rounds through the 30-06. Just me. If I have a rifle, I'd want to shoot it. I have the 1903, guess what? Nice rifle in the safe...
Know what I mean?
Chad

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chad3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just hate to put more than a few rounds through the 30-06. Just me. If I have a rifle, I'd want to shoot it. I have the 1903, guess what? Nice rifle in the safe...
Know what I mean?
Chad </div></div>

I'll take it off your hands
grin.gif

Is it OEM battle, or is it NRA competition, or demilitarized for hunting? It's on my 'want list'. Every good rifle needs a shooter to shoot it on a regular basis

I love the 6.5x55.
Most published load data is very mild because of the older military actions.

A long action M70 can go faster & longer OAL.

You don't have to just shoot 139 Scenars or 142SMK at all distance. The 100 or 107SMK are a great low recoil 100 yard load, 120 SMK are a joy to shoot short course to 300, I have not tried yet but 123 are supposed to be great too....

Just about everything I have ever heard about the 6.5x55 has been that it is an outstanding caliber for LR, and does not beat the crap out of the shooter in return. I think the idea of doing a Model 70 in 6.5 Swede sounds pretty cool, I have an early LA 700 that if I decide to keep will probably end up chambered for this cartridge.

Come on 'switch. Can't not have them, they are a way to the past. We all still love the 40x but look what we are doing to them. I still want to have it, just really want before I fire a few rounds. Know what I mean?
Chad

Oh, PM sent....