• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Old school precision builds, let's see 'em

StockDog

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 21, 2007
Thorsby, AL
I was at a franklin TN gun store last week and was looking at the TRG that they had when a fellow brought in a heavy barrel Mauser build. The rifle caught my eye and it looked like it was a pretty old build.

It had a plain but beefy wood stock with a raised cheek piece. I guess that it was probably someone's parity dog or woodchuck rifle.

I am getting ready to upgrade my 5r and will stay with my original plan of keeping it as a modern precision rig.

I think I want my next build to have a little history behind it.

Could any of you please share pictures and specs of some old school rigs?

Could an older wood stock be sealed, puller and glass bedded where the stock won't be likely to affect consistency?

Re: Old school precision builds, let's see 'em

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Could an older wood stock be sealed, puller and glass bedded where the stock won't be likely to affect consistency?</div></div>

Yeap, its done all the time.

As to "Old Style", I'm an old style kind of guy.

Below is a picture of my Model 70 1000 yard rifle. It's a single shot 300 Winchester. 29 in, Douglas Prem Barrel, Bishop stock set up for pronge.

I did the metal work, the stock was a Biship semi inleted. The hand stop is a gun shot fine. I fashioned the rail out of a piece of I got at a hardware store.

It uses either irons (Redfield Olympic) for Any Rifle Iron Sights and a Weaver T-10 for Any rfile any sights.

I have about $40 in the action. It's one of the six I got for a total price of $235 in the early '80s.

Sucker still shoots today. A bit heavy but I only have to haul it to the firing line.

1000%20yd%20Rifle.jpg

Thanks
Great setup

Wood stocks not only have character, they seem to have a soul.

I am thinking I like the idea of old school wood with some modern touches.

Let's see more!!!!!

Here is mine...

Winchester M70 (.308) Mid 40's Reciever
Clip Slotted and Blind Mag Fed
Now has a ENGLAND match rear sight
Versa Pod Hand Stop
Tubb 4 way butt pad
Turner NM Sling

Hope you like it.. It shoots VERY well.

Matt (LEO SOUTH GA)

P6030001.jpg

P6030003.jpg

P6030002.jpg

P6030004.jpg

MM172, looking at those pictures I see why I wasn't explaining myself about your clip guide.

Mine ahd a slot milled on the top that uses the Weaver style rings. I didn't add a rear sight base.

Sorry for the confusion.

What would you recommend doing to a stock to negate the wood factor?

Kraig,

NO PROBLEM... Strange thing is that attachment came on the rifle but when removed the reciever is factory clip slotted... I just left it on there as finding a rear base has been difficult. In the end I figured it was designed to be a iron sight weapon anyways.

I did find the base but when a ring was put on it, I had clearance issues with the rear iron sight staying on...

I was really trying to keep the iron sights ON while have the option to have a scope on or off. In the end I said screw it and would just use a scoped rifle I have if needed.

Matt.

As shown here before

40x rifles
22 LR 15x Unertl Programmer
22-250 20x Unertl Programmer
7.62x51 20x Unertl Programmer
d00caa21.jpg

Schultz and Larsen 308, Balvar 6x24
597f7ef3.jpg

dont get me going on the blackpowder stuff!

Those 40x rifles are really nice. One might actually fit the bill for what I am thinking.