• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Firearms Old school tooley 7mm stw "price drop"

dylan clark

Private
Minuteman
Nov 5, 2008
Rector, AR
This is an old school tooley build. Receiver is one of the old remington sportsman 78 receivers. They're the same as a 700 they were just a cheaper model that they made for a few years. Receiver has been blue printed. The bolt has had a sako extractor installed and has a tactical bolt knob. The trigger is an old style remington trigger that breaks at just over 2lbs by my scale. Stock is a mcmillan that's been glassed and pillared. Has textured grip panels and is an ADL style stock. The barrel is a heavily fluted stainless Schneider that measures 25.75 to the recoil lug. I'm unsure of the contour but it measures .81 at the muzzle. Twist rate is 1/9. Rifle currently has a 0 moa egw base that will go with it and comes with 70pcs of once fired brass. The receiver has an old teflon coating from before it was built and shows a little wear that's mainly on the bolt body. This is a full tooley build and would make one hell of a hunting rifle. Price is $1500 delivered to the lower 48. The rifle will ship in a padded hard case

EDIT. The original owner stepped forward on this rifle. The gentleman I purchased it from was either confused, or outright lying about its history. Round count is unknown. Bore looks good according to my local smith and the rifle is as accurate as any I own.

20201228_132912.jpg
20201228_132943.jpg
20210106_113420.jpg

Last edited:
Cool rifle man. That thing would be a grim reaper for a western hunter.

Bump for what certainly would be a great rifle to your battery..... I had a 7mm Boo Boo based off the 8x86 RWS case I bought used that Dave Tooley built that was a lot like this rig and it was a hell-of-shooter that printed bugholes!

I have to speak out on this rifle, since I am the "old timer" that not only originally owned the rifle that David built for me, but I have been out West. Not sure of that requirement "not even been out west" for a great rifle, but on behalf of the rifle. When I sold it, it was in great shape. I would not hesitate to pay what I sold it for when I sold it to Dylan, but it was a great shooter then. Can't speak to it now, but Dylan seemed to be a good guy.

Reactions: SHWILL
I would have to say that it was built around 1989 or so. Many years ago for sure. Dave was building from his garage. I consider Dave a good friend, even though I don't get to see him much, even though he lives closer now. Dave builds some of the best rifles going, period.

@troupe I believe you might have me confused with a different gentleman. This rifle is in Arkansas. And I've never been to north carolina where your profile states you are from?

Who did you buy the rifle from ? The rifle pictured was built for me by Dave. Not confused on the rifle. This rifle was shipped from NC.

I purchased this rifle this past spring from a gentleman who farmed in north east Arkansas until the early 90's when he retired. He's in his late 80's now and honestly is still fairly sharp mentally. I'd hate to think that he was either flat out lying or that confused about it? I'm gonna PM you my phone number so we can work this out. I dont want to misrepresent a rifle because I was lied to. Even if the lie was unintentional.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
On your behalf, you were not lied to in anyway, the gentlemen that you are speaking of sounds to be the grandfather, or father of the person that I sold it to. I knew that the rifle was shipped out that way, but it was a younger person that I spoke with on the phone. If you were told that the person that you purchased it from, that they had the rifle built, then you were not told the truth. I assumed that you were the same person that I sold it to. Sounds like you may be the third lucky owner of a my Tooley rifle and I can't speak of the current condition, but you are not representing this rifle in a wrong way at all. It was a very well built full custom from Dave. I knew the rifle well and you purchased a great build. As for rounds that I fired through the rifle, it was less than 100 rounds. It did not have the texture on the stock when I sold it. I can say that back when Dave built the rifle for me, the STW was a fairly new cartridge. I used to shoot USPSA with Layne Simpson of Shooting Times Magazine, and when Layne done the STW story, I had to have one. I remember telling Layne that he made me spend money on the STW.

You have a very well built custom from Dave. If I in anyway may have offended you in any way, I do apologize here in front of all to read. As I said in the past, Dave built this rifle for me. I can also say that when I had it, Layne had a load posted back then and I used it. Back then the rifle shot that load in a .214 group. GLWS on a fine old build.

Tom

@troupe I appreciate your post. I took no offense to your posts or info in the least. The last thing I wish to do is misrepresent a rifle or sell someone a rifle they're not happy with. I believe the old man that I purchased it from told me what he remembered as the truth. I'm very glad you stepped forward and cleared things up!.

Reactions: armorpl8chikn
No problem at all. As I said this is a great rifle and I wished I never sold it. I can say that the rifle has taken some fine whitetails and a record book class black bear. My longest whitetail kill was 714 yards. 6" plates at 325 yds was a easy shot. Again, GLWS !!! Somebody keep a fine build still hunting.