• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

"Old school" USMC rifle

dave-0

Private
Minuteman
Apr 17, 2005
Loganville. GA
Neat old rifle at my friend's shop. US Navy marked Remington-Keene rifle in 45-70. 250 total built for Navy trials. The Navy did not like them so they gave them to the USMC. Such a typical Navy thing to do
crazy.gif
!

rem-king.jpg

Bolt action with an external hammer/cocking piece and the magazine tube is under the forearm like a lever action gun, but loads from the bottom like a shotgun!

Dave P

Re: "Old school" USMC rifle

I do not know the price of the Keene yet. This is part of a 89 piece collection that just came in last week and the owner of the collection has to OK the asking prices. It is not going to be cheap. If it was, I would have already clamed it
wink.gif
!

The shop is still researching some of the more important guns to include a Spencer rifle used at Gettysburg by the 5th Michigan Calvary commanded by Custer.

Dave P

The collection owner just OK'd the prices. The Keene is $9000.00. Too rich for my blood right now.

He has several other Keenes including a USID (US Interior Dept) marked one. He should be getting photos and his website updated next week.

Dave P

That's a sweet piece for a collector. There was a good article in American Rifleman about the Keene rifles a couple of months ago.