• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

OLD SCHOOL!

esorensen

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2008
Broomfield, CO
When my father in law died, we inherited some of his arsenal. Included in this, was an M1 that he bought for CMP matches. It's an assortment of NM parts and some Danish parts as well. He only shot IMR 4064 48.0 gr. and CCI 250 with the 168 SMK. To be honest, it didn't shoot that well for me.
100_5884.jpg

Long story short, I had to mess with the load. Here's what I ended up with: 49.5 gr. Varget CCI BR2 and 168 SMK. COL is the same as M2 ball. I used LC 63 brass that has been fired a few times. Conditions today were 91*F, 29.97 mm Hg, DA 7600'. Stats for 16 shots fired: 80 ES, 2629 M, 22 SD. Distance was 100m, shot rapid fire. I assume the first shot was the one low at 8 o'clock. I can't shoot much better than this. Not to shabby for a surplus weapon.
100_5893.jpg

100_5894.jpg

The phone books were just to illustrate the effect of the SMK. It completely penetrated the stack of eight books that I had.
100_5885.jpg

100_5886.jpg

100_5888.jpg

100_5892.jpg

Re: OLD SCHOOL!

Crank that puppy over to the right some and you'll score in the 90s. Do that off hand, get a good sitting and prone postion and I be you will find its not a bad shooter for a 60+ year old service rifle.

That is a beautiful rifle. A similar situation was going to happen to me from my grandpa, until my uncle found out and sold it.... One day Ill have a nice M1 in my safe.

Thanks for the props. I plan on fine tuning the load by changing primers around and maybe a few other things. I have also read up on the NM modifications that apparently really add to the consistency. Maybe at some point I'll get around to doing those mods too.

I was pleasantly surprised how well it shot. I worked up that load in the 1903A3 that we received from my father in law as well. It will shoot that same load at 1"@100. The GI's that had these weapons were pretty lucky as both of these old warhorses can sure shoot.